Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  29
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The older I get, the LESS I care about individual awards.

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    ...but I could care less WHO kicks the goals...just as long as WE do.
    With Josh Bruce being an exception to the rule!

I tend to agree, though would take pleasure in seeing a Bulldog win the Coleman and I do think the AFLCA MVP carries more weight than other individual awards.

Probably the thing that annoys me is when our players are slighted/ overlooked in light of being off Broadway at times. If we win flags it'll happen less I suppose.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't watch the Brownlow and have never watched / been to a live feed of the B&F, usually follow it up later that night though but only as part of 'Bulldogs news'.

As Metallica said nothing else matters except flags for me. The potential for more cups in the cabinet is the only thing that keeps me supporting.

But I'm old, or at least I feel old.

4. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Once upon a time, I was interested in the following:

B&F
    Brownlow
    Coleman
    All-Australian

Anytime 'one of ours' was involved, I wanted it celebrated and THEM celebrated.

Now? I could care less.

I could care less about AA. Brownlow. Coleman. Coaches Award. Player Assoc MVP. I guess SOMEONE has to win the B&F but if they decided to not award the Charles Sutton medal I would be 100% fine with it.

All I want is to win games. And almost by whatever means possible. I look at team stats I admit...but I could care less WHO kicks the goals...just as long as WE do. I could care less about how many touches anyone gets as long as they play 'their role'. I could care less about anything except getting the points.

Does anyone feel more and more this way or is it just me?
    Good thread so thanks, I stopped caring about those awards a long while back and you can add the rising star award, biggest marks and best goals. It's simply finals and flags for me
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm taking notes on who is saying what and I'll be reminding you all when Bont wins the Brownlow that you're not permitted to celebrate.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I'm taking notes on who is saying what and I'll be reminding you all when Bont wins the Brownlow that you're not permitted to celebrate.
    I won't be celebrating because 1. I celebrate him leading our club everyday and fully know his worth regardless what umpires think of him and 2. I fully expect him to win the Brownlow this year. It's his destiny.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t care about the individual awards, brownlows, AA etc, but I do care about the individual stories and people within our club, their journeys and who they are.

I get the original sentiments and about us wanting team success but there have been so many years where flags were completely out of the question … but watching a player you didn’t think would make it succeed… or a guy come back from a devastating injury…or just having a sense of who they are as people and the things they’ve overcome, that are more than just collections of stats on the field…all those things sustain us as fans too. And given most of all our lives we have gone without real success, just as well too.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

9. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I won't be celebrating because 1. I celebrate him leading our club everyday and fully know his worth regardless what umpires think of him and 2. I fully expect him to win the Brownlow this year. It's his destiny.
    Noted .

11. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I will probably celebrate but whether or not he wins the Brownlow wont impact the way I feel about him as a player. It wont move the needle even a micro-millimetre!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    With Josh Bruce being an exception to the rule!
    I probably deserve that but it sort of proves my point. I could care less how many goals he kicks and I hate that being given as evidence of a player who is doing their job. As with Naughts on Sunday, he was able to get one out with Barrass in the 4th q because Bruce dragged McGovern away. Great job by BOTH players and - for me - the BULLDOGS kicked a goal!

Bruce has played a couple of good games but he hasn't kicked too many without the input of others...I mean, Bont kicked one on the weekend without anyone else being involved but that is really a once/twice per game phenomenon.

I DO want to see him flying at contests and doing more than 'giving effort'.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I will probably celebrate but whether or not he wins the Brownlow wont impact the way I feel about him as a player. It wont move the needle even a micro-millimetre!
    Nah ah no backsies.

15. Likes jeemak, 1eyedog, mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I probably deserve that but it sort of proves my point. I could care less how many goals he kicks and I hate that being given as evidence of a player who is doing their job. As with Naughts on Sunday, he was able to get one out with Barrass in the 4th q because Bruce dragged McGovern away. Great job by BOTH players and - for me - the BULLDOGS kicked a goal!

Bruce has played a couple of good games but he hasn't kicked too many without the input of others...I mean, Bont kicked one on the weekend without anyone else being involved but that is really a once/twice per game phenomenon.

Damn straight you do!

Seriously, I do get what you're saying but at the same time it's not like he's Josh Jenkins circa 2017 getting JTG goals each week and nor is he playing on after free kicks and taking easy goals which was something that upset you about him from last year's final. At the same time, even though it is, it's not his fault he kicked ten. I mean he didn't mean it, it just happened!

He's leading hard and presenting at the carrier, he's running and blocking. He's doing what a second string tall forward should be doing, and importantly he's kicking goals rather than points for the most part.

I get that we gave him tenure, but at the same time we knew we weren't recruiting anything other than an excellent second or third forward and he's delivering upon that.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I want Bont to win a Brownlow because it’s great recognition.

I like our players making the AA team because it’s good for banter with friends.

Wins are 100% the most important and take that above all else, but still passionate about seeing our players recognised for their efforts on the broader stage. It markets the club and it’s important.

19. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the awards and recognition is just a sideshow, like the Jack Macrae 30+ touches a game thing, if his role changes that ends without him doing anything wrong. Others like AA and brownlow are more relevant to performance not stats
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love him to 'kill' 2-3 more aerial contests a game. We're giving up a few too many intercept marks a game so if we can reduce that and get the ball to ground it's going to help us no end given our strong ground ball/stoppage game.

22. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    When we were less successful, we hung on to these individual awards because we didn't have much to celebrate, so we cared a lot more.

I have always been very sceptical of awards such as AA, rising star because of the people awarding them. The Coleman is nice because it is clear cut - most goals, can't dispute it. I have gone off the Brownlow a bit because umpires won't award votes for players on losing teams (3 votes ie), which is wrong, because the Brownlow is an individual award and doesn't matter how your team plays. (sort of). Also, seems like a midfielders award and no one else wins??? If Bont wins I will be super happy.

Overall I get what you are saying, to me too, winning games is everything and finals even better.
    I'm like this. I recall us being so bad, but when there was talk of us having a Brownlow favourite it was one thing to get excited about.

Now we win more games, are playing finals regularly, it changes the mindset. It could be being older too... not sure, but I'd put it mostly down to the fact that we have team things to celebrate now, not just individual awards.

24. Likes Topdog liked this post