Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  49
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sam Mitchell to take over from Clarkson in 2023

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Yet now The Age has it as "an extraordinary turn of events".
    It stuck out like the proverbial appendage.
    The child in me says Hawthorn, suffer in your jocks!
    Never did like Ted or Phil Hay and definitely not John Peck!

They beat us against the odds in'61 then they had enough premierships for five lifetimes but during our one life.
    Happy for them to be a rabble and cellar dwellers here on in till I go to the footy ground in the sky

I do like that post. One of my favourite ever!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    If you were Clarkson, would you go to Collingwood or Carlton or neither?
    Did I hear that if he takes another job as a coach the 1M the Hawks should pay him will be reduced significantly.

I hope he takes a job in the media for a year and the Hawks work with his salary on their books.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    How goddamn stupid and destructive is Jeff Kennett.
    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Always has been
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    He was past his use by date when he got dumped as Premier. I was thrilled when he re-took the Hawks Presidency.
    Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Because Clarko is the most important and powerful person at the club, and Jeff can't tolerate a person being more powerful and popular than him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Kennett seems to have been desperate to sack Clarko since around October 2015, and I’ve never been able to figure out for the life of me why.

If Mitchell turns out to be the best coach ever then he will be at best as good as Clarkson.

Kennett thrives on a crisis and if he is left to his own devices will create one if one doesn't exist. It makes his the El Presidente and he looks like he is the firm hand in charge. He'd rather wreck the place than stand down or cede leadership/responsibility to somebody else. He's the Vladimir Putin of Australian football right down to changing the rules in order to stay in charge.

Thank the Lord he was voted out in 1999.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Did I hear that if he takes another job as a coach the 1M the Hawks should pay him will be reduced significantly.

I hope he takes a job in the media for a year and the Hawks work with his salary on their books.
    There would surely be a no compete clause in the payout.

Post Thanks / Like

Carlton & Collingwood are not competitive, even with Clarko. Should be fine.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Reporting now, Clarko paid out. But every dollar earned next year from coaching is deducted from his payout.

He can coach for $1 and virtually not impact it. Or hit the media for 12 months and freely earn two incomes.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s classic politics Kennet . Create the problem , withhold the funds and then somehow find the money and support to fix it

There was never a problem to begin with. Clarko is rebuilding the list and that will take time

Clarkson He stripped down the club of Politics and favourtism and got the right players with the right attitude. The ones who did not fall in line went had to be moved on anyhow as they were past their best footy. Only old player left was Crawford by the time they had their premiership tilt

11. Likes EasternWest, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Reporting now, Clarko paid out. But every dollar earned next year from coaching is deducted from his payout.

He can coach for $1 and virtually not impact it. Or hit the media for 12 months and freely earn two incomes.
    Clarko looking a winner of this at any angles . Remember hawk members at next agm

Pyrrhic victory for you Kennett

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe but I'm not sure AFL contracts are that watertight.
    They would want him to take another job at a club which reduces what they owe him

Perhaps Collingwood or Carlton could offer him a 3 year deal and back end the contract They have some form in that area
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Clarko come work for us : 4 year deal on $1 first year , and next 3 year name your terms !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    If you were Clarkson, would you go to Collingwood or Carlton or neither?
    Carlton.
    Collingwood are in huge trouble
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Maybe but I'm not sure AFL contracts are that watertight.
    They would want him to take another job at a club which reduces what they owe him

Perhaps Collingwood or Carlton could offer him a 3 year deal and back end the contract They have some form in that area
    I can't see Clarkson going out of his way to do the board a favour. Not after the way this has played out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

He’s getting $500k each year apparently. So he’d have to sit 2 years to not impact it. Smart of Hawkers to stretch it.

18. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

God damn this is so dumb. He's the best coach of at least the last 20 years and is still going ok, imagine wilfully pushing that guy out the door. Sam Mitchell may be the second coming but so was James Hird, Nathan Buckley and Michael Voss. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and Clarkson is a majestic bird.

From a best fit for Clarkson pov (payout deal aside) i think there are two clubs that would be super interesting.

GWS have long had an abundance of talent and interesting culture, but a coach that has been unconvinced in his ability to extract it. Clarkson to the Giants could be the making of them and rescue them from the mediocrity they seem to have settled into post Grand Final after a very promising first few years.

Port Adelaide are the other. Under Hinkley they have generally been good, but lacked the ability to take the next step to be better than the other good sides. With a great young group to work with, and a couple of old guys just hanging on, Clarkson could be the guy to push them up into that top echelon. Was an assistant coach there pre Hawks too so has a bit of a connection.

Collingwood and Carlton are two boring options that I hope he doesn't take.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    God damn this is so dumb. He's the best coach of at least the last 20 years and is still going ok, imagine wilfully pushing that guy out the door. Sam Mitchell may be the second coming but so was James Hird, Nathan Buckley and Michael Voss. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and Clarkson is a majestic bird.

From a best fit for Clarkson pov (payout deal aside) i think there are two clubs that would be super interesting.

GWS have long had an abundance of talent and interesting culture, but a coach that has been unconvinced in his ability to extract it. Clarkson to the Giants could be the making of them and rescue them from the mediocrity they seem to have settled into post Grand Final after a very promising first few years.

Port Adelaide are the other. Under Hinkley they have generally been good, but lacked the ability to take the next step to be better than the other good sides. With a great young group to work with, and a couple of old guys just hanging on, Clarkson could be the guy to push them up into that top echelon. Was an assistant coach there pre Hawks too so has a bit of a connection.

Collingwood and Carlton are two boring options that I hope he doesn't take.
    A Clarkson-coached Port Adelaide would be a team to fear for a decade.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

21. Thanks macca thanked for this post