Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 17, 2021 vs Sydney

This is the round 17, 2021 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Sydney is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 17, 2021 vs Sydney

Bump
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

B

Keath
    Duryea (less the brain fade at HT)
    Young

A

Lack of scoring
    Missing easy shots
    Bailey Smith calling out Jamarra for an easy mark and likely goal
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers.
    Keath was very solid.
    Duryea was great except for that moment
    Bailey Smith worked hard for 4 quarters.

Anchors.

I was very disappointed in our forward line. No pressure, no system

JJ? Offered nothing today and missed a goal at a critical moment.

Our goal kicking continues to kick us in the guts.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Tim English, played his best game since coming back from concussion

2. Duryea and Keath stood up in the backline and beat their opponents.

3. Caleb Daniel was everywhere and also won some centre clearances when Libba was tagged.

Anchors

1. The small forwards were well and truly beaten, with Weightman, Wallis, JJ having no impact at all.

2. we won the ball in clearances, CP, inside 50s but what we did with the ball wasn't good enough to kick goals.

3. Bruce is no Naughton - needs to hold his marks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Alex Keath, a rock in defence, controlled Buddy all day.
    Bont, Smith and Daniel had good games.

Anchors
    Mitch Wallis, bleeds rw&b but the pace of the modern game doesn't suit him.
    The other forwards Josh Bruce, Mitch Hannan, Weightman, Scott and JJ, unacceptable output from all.
    Duryea had a good game but that brain fade was ridiculous and got us to 1/2 time flat and them buoyant.

Post Thanks / Like

Anchor

Just while I think of it, and I am aware this is very nitpicky, but the commentators repeatedly said throughout the game that if we won we would go top of the ladder (not the exact phrasing, it was something slightly more annoying). But we already were. They should have said "The Bulldogs need to win to retain top spot on the ladder".

I know that they were going off a live ladder, so Melbourne were above us having played an extra game, but I still think my point stands.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

9. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B:
    - Keath. Underrated year, he's been huge and for the most part he controlled Buddy OK.

- Duryea. That howler was really costly but without him, we would have been 5 goals down at HF.

- Smith/Daniel. These two kept us in it for stretches of the game. Daniel's third quarter was important.

A:
    - Macrae. Thought he was dreadful. Poor skill execution, poor decision making and poor accountability. Hope he gets back to concentrating on team footy now that the 30+ streak is over.

- Coaching group. Not instructing our players to adjust to how they were moving the ball out of our deep F50 was just poor. They slowly picked through us and we did nothing to change it.

- Forwards. They were stagnant, they jumped at the same ball (Weightman and Hannan were awful at this), they didn't create space and they didn't provide nearly enough pressure.
    W00F!

11. Likes EasternWest liked this post