Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dane Rampe - What might have been???

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Imagine how DFA's lasting cult status would have ballooned further if bringing us Rampe was part of his legacy!
    There's dozens of us!
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    From memory he was (is) good mates with Dylan Addison and came down to Melb with him when Dyl was drafted... as others have mentioned he got lost in the system and given our set-up with Williamstown he was starved of opportunities and headed back to Sydney soon after.

The rest is history.
    I remember watching Rampe play some Willy 2nds circa 2009 and just shaking my head. Was clearly too good but the alignment back then was bizarre and players were spread between the seniors and 2s in some really weird ways.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Comrade I saw Rampe playing at Willi 2nd's numerous times and thought he wasn't up to it. Just couldn't see it. GVG was a rap for him though as I recall. His improvement trajectory was spectacular post Willi. A real credit to him. Also an indictment on Scott Clayton who also let Ben Hudson slip. Clayton was living in recruiting fantasyland at the time.

It's amazing Sydney identified him in the SFL. They showed little regard for that league. The Roos factor could have had something to do with it as his kids were playing at East Sydney and he would get involved a bit. To the point of the thread, yeah if he was in our backline now...yep.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Every time I see the Swans I am reminded what an awesome player Rampe is. To me, he is the closest thing to Dale Morris still in the game...and I still can't believe he isn't our player.

I am probably wrong on this but I seem to recall him playing at Willi when they were still a host-club for our VFL players - and somehow, despite watching him play week in, week out - he was selected by the Swans come draft day.

I have been thinking about this a lot over the past few days - I actually can't think of ANYONE I would less like JUH to play against in his first game than Rampe (well, maybe Morris, but he's like, old, retired and a Bulldog!). Can anyone remember what happened and how we missed out on this player who was RIGHT UNDER our nose!
    I know Comrade and I were mentioning his name many times so I wonder why we didn't back ourselves. He looked good when he had the ball and had a decent turn of speed.
    Their was some media speculation that he didn't get serious until he moved back home to NSW however, I believe he was very keen to play with us and would have embraced that opportunity.

We have a great recruiting team and get a lot right but Rampe might be best regarded by us as a missed opportunity.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    From memory he was (is) good mates with Dylan Addison and came down to Melb with him when Dyl was drafted... as others have mentioned he got lost in the system and given our set-up with Williamstown he was starved of opportunities and headed back to Sydney soon after.

The rest is history.
    Brett Ogle son Chris wasn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

I remember him playing at Willi and being impressed by his role across their half backline at the time. Thought at the time he was better than one or two of the players we had listed as AFL players playing in the same team.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

7. Likes GVGjr, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Brett Ogle son Chris wasn't it?
    Yep I'm pretty sure that it was Chris.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I recall him playing at Williamstown as a HBF type rather than a KPD - he just couldn't be stepped, broke every tackle. Just so strong through the hips but his kicking was very hit or miss.
    I suspect if we did rookie him he would have become a GWS player. Then we would have kept Ward, and wouldn't have Macrae...
    If Ward had re-signed with us I understand that GWS would have offered the farm to Easton Wood. Ironically the two captains could have been reversed in the 2016 prelim final.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    If Ward had re-signed with us I understand that GWS would have offered the farm to Easton Wood. Ironically the two captains could have been reversed in the 2016 prelim final.
    So we would have had to hate stupid, sexy Easton Wood?
    "It's over. It's all over."

11. Likes Twodogs, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread. Never knew rampe played for Willy. Would love him out there for us

13. Thanks mjp thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    I remember him playing at Willi and being impressed by his role across their half backline at the time. Thought at the time he was better than one or two of the players we had listed as AFL players playing in the same team.
    He could turn defence into attack quickly and I thought he was a smart user of the ball. He was keen to be given a chance but we obviously rated others more than we did with Rampe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Like Comrade I saw Rampe playing at Willi 2nd's numerous times and thought he wasn't up to it. Just couldn't see it. GVG was a rap for him though as I recall. His improvement trajectory was spectacular post Willi. A real credit to him. Also an indictment on Scott Clayton who also let Ben Hudson slip. Clayton was living in recruiting fantasyland at the time.

It's amazing Sydney identified him in the SFL. They showed little regard for that league. The Roos factor could have had something to do with it as his kids were playing at East Sydney and he would get involved a bit. To the point of the thread, yeah if he was in our backline now...yep.
    Clayton liked Hudson, it was Our Mastermind who didn't want him.
    IIRC Clayton was also overrruled on the Clay Smith pick - he preferred Crozier
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Clayton liked Hudson, it was Our Mastermind who didn't want him.
    IIRC Clayton was also overrruled on the Clay Smith pick - he preferred Crozier
    Wasn't Dalrymple in the chair in 2011 for the Clay Smith pick?
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Wasn't Dalrymple in the chair in 2011 for the Clay Smith pick?
    Yes he was, I think 2009 was his first season as our recruiter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    So we would have had to hate stupid, sexy Easton Wood?
    I think his sexiness would have won the day. Who knows, GWS mightn't be the dickheads they are now with someone like Easton leading them.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Likes EasternWest liked this post