Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  34
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned. Round seventeen 2021 v Swans of Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    In the last two weeks Sweet has been smashed by Rhys Stanley and Tom Campbell. You don't promote a ruck off the back of that.
    Then was taken out of the ruck yesterday. Getting smashed by Gawn seems to have really got to him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    What's the best way to use him?
    In defence with the occasional run in the ruck to cover as required. I guess with no aerial threat in the forward half he was needed in attack, but for someone trying to find his feet at this level, and who is often the first to be dropped, not letting him settle in a position must be difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Well one thing I've learned is that football supporters are still prone to big reactions on one bad game. A lot of chef's on here too.
    "We are cooked. Wallis is cooked. JJ is cooked".

Last time I checked, we are still second on the ladder, 12-4 and still a massive chance to finish either 2nd or even top. We won twice in Perth and were a kick away from beating Geelong in Geelong. We were outplayed significantly yesterday, and were still some chance to win in the last quarter. I like the look of a team that replaces two of the fringe players for Naughton and Dunkley this week.

1. We really missed Naughton's ability to worry the defenders and draw extra defenders in the air....which creates opportunities for the small forwards.....who just couldn't get involved today, which was disappointing.

2. Even Caleb Daniel can have a bad day in terms of decision making and skill execution.

3. I'm not used the the opposition having more of the ball than us.....and its frustrating!

4. Thanks The bulldog tragician, jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Well one thing I've learned is that football supporters are still prone to big reactions on one bad game. A lot of chef's on here too.

Last time I checked, we are still second on the ladder, 12-4 and still a massive chance to finish either 2nd or even top. We won twice in Perth and were a kick away from beating Geelong in Geelong. We were outplayed significantly yesterday, and were still some chance to win in the last quarter. I like the look of a team that replaces two of the fringe players for Naughton and Dunkley this week.

1. We really missed Naughton's ability to worry the defenders and draw extra defenders in the air....which creates opportunities for the small forwards.....who just couldn't get involved today, which was disappointing.

2. Even Caleb Daniel can have a bad day in terms of decision making and skill execution.

3. I'm not used the the opposition having more of the ball than us.....and its frustrating!
    Great summary Ozza
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm clinging to the hope that we'll turn into a juggernaut once we have most of our best 22 back but losing to 4 top 8 teams (Richmond at the time) who have been able to starve us of the ball in each loss doesn't bode well for our finals chances.

And I said Wally was cooked as an AFL player in our system in round 2 this year, nothing I've seen since changes that opinion.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'm clinging to the hope that we'll turn into a juggernaut once we have most of our best 22 back but losing to 4 top 8 teams (Richmond at the time) who have been able to starve us of the ball in each loss doesn't bode well for our finals chances.

And I said Wally was cooked as an AFL player in our system in round 2 this year, nothing I've seen since changes that opinion.
    I actually called Wallis as cooked as he was leading our goal kicking, which I feel like is the sort of bravery that shouldn’t go unnoticed.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny. With all the hype around adding Darcy to our vaunted forward-line, I had thought that area of the ground was covered for a decade. But simply not having Naughton down there made it look awful. I couldn't believe how non-competitive we were in the air yesterday. Was it a cohesion thing or are English, Young and Bruce just hopeless at competing in the air when Naughton isn't there to take 3 defenders away from them.

Post Thanks / Like

Who have we beaten? Port Adelaide? Richmond, Geelong and Melbourne beat up Port Adelaide at home they truly are a 5-6 team.

Our win / loss ratio against top 8 sides is ordinary to say the least. Geelong and Melbourne easily accounted for Port at home and we got Brisbane early in Ballarat. West Coast were putrid and have been for a month. Loses to Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney and Geelong have me feeling we are a 4-6 team and that's where we'll finish.

It remains to be seen how much better we can be with Dunkley, Treloar and Marin in the side.

10. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Who have we beaten? Port Adelaide? Richmond, Geelong and Melbourne beat up Port Adelaide at home they truly are a 5-6 team.

Our win / loss ratio against top 8 sides is ordinary to say the least. Geelong and Melbourne easily accounted for Port at home and we got Brisbane early in Ballarat. West Coast were putrid and have been for a month. Loses to Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney and Geelong have me feeling we are a 4-6 team and that's where we'll finish.

It remains to be seen how much better we can be with Dunkley, Treloar and Marin in the side.
    Well....we we 6-0 with them IN the side.

I'm really over the need to qualify every performance as a team and for the individuals. All the reasons why our wins weren't that good, and how Bruce's goals don't count against North or in last quarters, or late in quarters or whatever. I'm sure if we were playing Richmond this week and won - it doesn't count, because they aren't good anymore. West Coast in West Coast after quarantining for a week doesn't count because they aren't good anymore....but it did count before the game because they'd just got all their players back. But it doesn't count now. Port in Port did count at the time, but it doesn't anymore because they lost to Melbourne.

Every game is hard to win in this competition. To win 12 out of 16 is really good. Injuries happen to every side, but eventually an injury list like ours takes a toll in the form of a down game - and we hit that wall this week against a side that is going really well (remember the Swans beat West Coast by 100 last week......oh wait - that doesn't count because West Coast are not good anymore and it isn't a leap year and that game was at Geelong on a Sunday).

We are absolutely desperate as a supporter group to sh1t on the team. I hear it at the games, I see it on here - and it drives me nuts.

The team absolutely show up and have a dip every week. They are a young team, but they are winning 75% of the time, are getting back 3 A Graders soon and are a chance to win the flag. How many years in our lifetimes have we been one of the teams that can win it?

12. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really over the need to qualify every performance as a team and for the individuals. All the reasons why our wins weren't that good, and how Bruce's goals don't count against North or in last quarters, or late in quarters or whatever. I'm sure if we were playing Richmond this week and won - it doesn't count, because they aren't good anymore. West Coast in West Coast after quarantining for a week doesn't count because they aren't good anymore....but it did count before the game because they'd just got all their players back. But it doesn't count now. Port in Port did count at the time, but it doesn't anymore because they lost to Melbourne.

Every game is hard to win in this competition. To win 12 out of 16 is really good. Injuries happen to every side, but eventually an injury list like ours takes a toll in the form of a down game - and we hit that wall this week against a side that is going really well (remember the Swans beat West Coast by 100 last week......oh wait - that doesn't count because West Coast are not good anymore and it isn't a leap year and that game was at Geelong on a Sunday).

We are absolutely desperate as a supporter group to sh1t on the team. I hear it at the games, I see it on here - and it drives me nuts.

The team absolutely show up and have a dip every week. They are a young team, but they are winning 75% of the time, are getting back 3 A Graders soon and are a chance to win the flag. How many years in our lifetimes have we been one of the teams that can win it?
    Sydney also lost to Hawthorn and Port in the weeks proceeding. They weren't going THAT well and it's absolutely a game we should never have dropped at home.

Also, the perspective on results should change with more context. The WC win is nowhere near as good in hindsight.

Injuries are biting and we are are doing fine but could be doing better. Yesterday's effort was unacceptable.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel exactly the same as you.

Sydney have a pretty good record this year beating Brisbane, Geelong, Richmond (round 3), and losing to Port by 10, and Melbourne by 9.

No game is easy and can't be compared to other games as a comparison. We are 4/4 against top 4 sides and really the Geelong loss by a goal on the siren could have been the other way.

I will take 2nd on the ladder with only 4 losses (no thrashings) and with good players to come back anytime.

Melbourne have lost to Adelaide, Collingwood and GWS - does that mean they are no good sitting on top of the ladder?

The proof will be in the pudding at seasons end.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

And let's not get hyperbolic. No one is sh**ing on the team here.

Post Thanks / Like

Sydney are legit. They won that Port game on points if not actually on the scoreboard, and as illogical as the Hawks loss was they also bashed up Brisbane (at the Gabba) and the Cats. They’re a well coached and talented side, and a three goal loss to them with the competition’s best key forward and one of its best mids to come in next week is not a disaster.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I tipped Sydney as I knew they'd set themselves for this game, and our form v Norf (and energy levels mainly) had me thinking we were ripe for the picking. Naughton out compounded that.

Having said all that, our inability to deny them their simple chip kicks from deep D50 was putrid and I didn't like our team selection.

We are better than Sydney, we'll get better in the coming weeks, but I think it's obvious to win it all we need more to go right for us than perhaps Melbourne/Geelong/Brisbane. By that, I'm speaking to player availability - it shouldn't be a surprise we are tested without Dunkley, Treloar, Martin, Wood, Naughton etc.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I tipped Sydney as I knew they'd set themselves for this game, and our form v Norf (and energy levels mainly) had me thinking we were ripe for the picking. Naughton out compounded that.

Having said all that, our inability to deny them their simple chip kicks from deep D50 was putrid and I didn't like our team selection.

We are better than Sydney, we'll get better in the coming weeks, but I think it's obvious to win it all we need more to go right for us than perhaps Melbourne/Geelong/Brisbane. By that, I'm speaking to player availability - it shouldn't be a surprise we are tested without Dunkley, Treloar, Martin, Wood, Naughton etc.
    It was truly depressing how easily Sydney moved the ball through our offensive 'zone' .. if that's what you call it.

I was super impressed with how difficult we made ball movement for WC over there a few weeks back, but the last 2 weeks has been a step back to the past... and whilst I gave them a leave pass for it last week, we simply can't dish that up and expect to beat decent-good opposition.

19. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post