Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Three things you've learned. Round seventeen 2021 v Swans of Sydney

So. Three things. Things you didn't know before. Things that you know now though. Write them down below.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned. Round seventeen 2021 v Swans of Sydney

Bump
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

1. If we don’t get the best ruck available this year then we are not serious

2. $600,000 a year for JJ to deliver this output is not something I want to repeat next season

3. When we are off, we are off.

4. I think Mitch Wallis should take any other clubs offer.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. We look cooked. I said it last week and I’ll say it again
    2. JUH shouldn’t have played. Deer in headlights
    3. Wallis and Hannan are now VFL players.
    4. God we need dunks, Treloar, Martin and Naughton in our 22
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

1. Another insipid performance today from the mids and forwards after a sluggish game last week = danger signs. Someone must get the chop to get the fear back into the team.

2. English (re-)learning how to be effective around the ground was great to see. Lots of good marks on the wing and within goal, although kicking 1.2 needs improvement.

3. Young can ruck (as I said last week) and kick goals - that should build his confidence further.

Extra. We smashed the free kick count (28-16) but many "balled" decisions not paid within 20m of our goal.

Bonus. It might be effective but Swans play an ugly brand of footy.

7. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Our forward line is empty without Naughton. Does anyone know how to lead? Young is total useless in the forward line. He has no physical strength and gets too easily pushed out of the contest. Bruce was 2-1 today, so he had to bring the ball down to ground and in our fwd favour. Hannan rarely is in the contests, and gets pushed off the ball to easily. Our smalls were never in the right positions today. Our goal kicking is atrocious .... sigh...

2. Something was mentally off today. You have to be switched on at this level. Too many mistakes, fumbles. Even the small tackles which go against you, its twice the effort to win the ball back. Our young players in Gracia, Scott, Richards really had to step up today when the senior players were having an off day. Today was a good example of our gap between good and bad efforts showed.

3. Young needs to work out what his weaknesses are. Either work them out ( i.e just don't fall into those traps), or play just to his strengths. Don't throw up your arms and remonstrate when blocked by the defender. Work out a way to push around him. I want him to put on 5 KG of muscle over the season and be as strongest player on the ground. As he is no way a leading forward, or run all day type of KPD. His strengths are his mobility , marking ability ( or read of the flight of the ball) and pinch Ruck are important to the team to cover the ground.
    Last edited by macca; 11-07-2021 at 10:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mutz View Post
    1. Another insipid performance today from the mids and forwards after a sluggish game last week = danger signs. Someone must get the chop to get the fear back into the team.

2. English (re-)learning how to be effective around the ground was great to see. Lots of good marks on the wing and within goal, although kicking 1.2 needs improvement.

3. Young can ruck (as I said last week) and kick goals - that should build his confidence further.

Extra. We smashed the free kick count (28-16) but many "balled" decisions not paid within 20m of our goal.

Bonus. It might be effective but Swans play an ugly brand of footy.
    Young did some ok things but I don’t like his weak attack at the ball. We can only carry one tall like that and it’s English. Don’t know how the biggest guys out there can be so soft in aerial contests. Had a gutful of Englishs’ weak efforts in the ruck. Young is an intercepting defender and not much more.

10. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim English will only ever be a pinch hit ruck. He can be good up forward.

Our goal kicking has not got better.

We never looked like it today. If Bont hadn't spent most of his time in the back half we would have been killed.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

12. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Young did some ok things but I don’t like his weak attack at the ball. We can only carry one tall like that and it’s English. Don’t know how the biggest guys out there can be so soft in aerial contests. Had a gutful of Englishs’ weak efforts in the ruck. Young is an intercepting defender and not much more.
    I'm not sold on Young. He really lacks intensity. Needs more time for sure but I can see why he's struggled to get a game.

14. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. The Bont has broad shoulders but can't carry 10 players around all day.
    2. Our small fowards contributed sfa.
    3. If we don't improve on this effort Brisbane or Geelong replace us in the top 2.

16. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I'm not sold on Young. He really lacks intensity. Needs more time for sure but I can see why he's struggled to get a game.
    Some of his efforts were putrid. That goal he got was not a free. He actually didn't want contact in that contest.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Wallis is well and truly cooked at this level.
    2. Look very flat. Have we gone through an increased training load to have us fit for finals. A lot of the top teams seem to go through a flat spot this time of year.
    3. The current bottom 6 players we had in the team today won't take us far in the finals. Get our injured players back and it will make a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

1. That was a bottom 4-esque forward half performance. I won't hang Marra for it, it's not his fault he was picked and he basically met my expectations anyway. The rest of the forward group...yuck.

2. Our desire to chew off perfect kicks/disposals, especially coming out of defence, was either egotistical (Caleb, looking at you) or due to a lack of work rate to provide the overlap running option or lack of workrate up field to provide a marking target. Probably a mix of all 3.

3. Disappointing we were time machined back to 2019/20 where despite getting the first goal immediately, the red flags were flying everywhere from about 5 mins in. I thought as a group we were past those efforts but obviously not.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    1. That was a bottom 4-esque forward half performance. I won't hang Marra for it, it's not his fault he was picked and he basically met my expectations anyway. The rest of the forward group...yuck.

2. Our desire to chew off perfect kicks/disposals, especially coming out of defence, was either egotistical (Caleb, looking at you) or due to a lack of work rate to provide the overlap running option or lack of workrate up field to provide a marking target. Probably a mix of all 3.

3. Disappointing we were time machined back to 2019/20 where despite getting the first goal immediately, the red flags were flying everywhere from about 5 mins in. I thought as a group we were past those efforts but obviously not.
    We were near a passage of play where Caleb had the ball, Duryea was clear and a good next option, but instead, he kicked to a pack and the ball inevitably ricocheted back in.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

1. Liked the look of Garcia today, always wait a couple of games for a player to form a view, he looks to have a good head on his shoulders under pressure

2. Too many weak performances from our small and mid sized forwards - JJ, Wallis and Hannan are not Top 2 team forwards. In honesty, lucky to stay in it

3. An “almost” game for our no. 1 draft pick. Some encouraging signs to give him a taste and a lot of work to be done - hopefully it’s a step in the right direction attitude, preparation and confidence wise