Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 18, 2021 vs Gold Coast

This is the round 18, 2021 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Gold Coast is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 18, 2021 vs Gold Coast

Bump
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

B

Jamarra. Our best tall forward.
    Bonts. Super hero.
    Keath. A gun.

A

Crozier. Should’ve been dropped earlier, and from his vfl Games, shouldn’t have been gifted this game. My longer analysis of his game going back to the Port game shows all the reasons he’s not up to it. But he’s not and he shouldn’t be playing. I’m over him.

Discipline. Naughton turning a JJ shot into a R50. Caleb turning King’s poster into a goal. Wake the *!*!*!*! up and be professionals.

One on one defending was rancid. Roarke not making a simple spoil but going to the highlight reel mark, Crozier, some of Cordy’s efforts, Richards with an intercepting fist on a soon to be uncontested Mark by Keath. And so on.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes Mutz, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Bontempelli and Macrae, dragged us over the line.
    Ugle-Hagan, the class is there.
    Lachie Hunter, his contribution is often underrated.

Anchors
    Crozier, Cordy and R Smith. Easton Wood desperately needed.
    The umpiring was atrocious e.g Daniel htb when his head was nearly dragged off, GC denied a clear goal.
    Naughton, hardly sighted, along for the suntan and frequent flyer points.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. JUH goals, will give him confidence

2. Macrae's two goals - take them on Jacko, you are a star

3. Keath's 7 marks, so steady in the backline and another big scalp.

Anchors

1. Two shots for goal reversed

2. Sloppy disposal by a number of players.

3. Allowing the first 3 goals due to poor defence.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Eastdog, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Extra Banker

14.6 - straight kicking wins games

6.0 - from Jamarra, Weightman & McNeil
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Extra Banker

14.6 - straight kicking wins games

6.0 - from Jamarra, Weightman & McNeil
    Refreshing that we were quite accurate today.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

Macrae - Thought he was brilliant and had the biggest say in us winning the game.
    'Marra - Just to see him hit the scoreboard, and then carry himself with confidence and some joy for the game. Important goals.
    Keath - Backline wasn't at its best today - Keath held us up a fair bit. Rarely plays a bad game.

?
    Bont - Dunno where his game lands. In some ways awesome....but also had 15 clangers which might be the most ever (albeit 5 were frees against)....he missed handballs and kicks, but also did extraordinary things. I'll take it.

Anchors:

Crozier - he was awful. Decision making of when to fly and when not was off, and when he did go....ball got out back for scores.
    Roarke - I'm a Roarke fan - but he hasn't played that poorly since his first year.
    Naughts - you never really know if a player is 100% from a concussion until they play. He just wasn't 100%. Accept that he passed all the tests and looked awesome at training this week....but he doesn't miss those half chances. He was just that fraction off today - so god help Adelaide next week.

12. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

- JUH kicking
    - Jacko kicking 2 goals
    - Alex Keath’s poise and composure

Anchors

- our F50 entry
    - Bruce as a forward target the last 3 weeks
    - crozier looks well out of our best 22

14. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Alex Keath was very solid
    Macrae was excellent all game but particularly in the last 5 minutes
    Marra kicked three and looked at home.

Some poor defending allowed easy goals
    Too many dinky handballs to players under pressure
    Lack of clean hands. Fumbling too much.

BUT WE WON! JUST KEEP WINNING LADS!
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

B

JUH with a performance to silence the critics, which is wild given it was his send game and there just shouldn’t have been the level of nastiness about his debut that there was.

Macrae hitting the score board twice, in fairly quick succession. Winning strategy.

Keath. Will come 3rd in our BnF

A

Crozier. Just can’t get himself going at the level he has shown us that he can. The shoulder injury and disruptions have really impacted him.

General form. It’s a bit of a downer to see a team that has played addictive, perfect footy, grinding out wins. Still better than the alternative but I want to see us playing that high energy, joyful footy again when it matters.

Decisions against Bont and Williams in marking contests had me baffled.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Anchors

- our F50 entry
    - Bruce as a forward target the last 3 weeks
    - crozier looks well out of our best 22
    Re-watched some of our forward entries. Bruce was actually providing strong leads and good options but interestingly was either ignored or we went for Marra or Cody instead.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:
    The team, after trying travel conditions and lack of sleep. The Bulldogs Media team for doing such a great job.
    Kicking accuracy. JUH well done lad. Tell you what, he kicks them post high from 48m out. doing well. Good kicking action.

Anchors: Nothing of note. There is however an edgy tactic working itself into our game. Baz, Cody, and a few others starting to do undisciplined things. It's not Bulldogs footy.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Marra- I love his long arms and straight kicking. When he really gets going we are going to have some exciting seasons.

2. Sonny Garcia- this kid is going to make it. He surprises me so often with his attack in the ball and clean hands. He's not a fumbler.

3. Hunter- probably under appreciated somewhat. His work rate is top notch. He continues to get us out of pressure situations with his selwood style free kicks

Anchors

1. Crozier- dunno what's happened to him this year but his form is slowly getting worse each time he plays. I've been a huge fan of his when he settled in the 22but now he is on borrowed time unfortunately.

2. Skill level and concentration. The team as a whole seem to be off a bit at the moment. A lot of missed targets, skill errors, fumbles. All things that were not there earlier in the season. It also looks like we are losing concentration of what the opposition are doing at times. Either that or the game plan isn't working. The amount of times gold Coast scored bringing the ball out of defence with ease. We need to be better than that if we are to be any chance this year.

3. Shit umpiring yesterday I thought.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.