Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  27
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R19 2021

Just can the round how can you have some teams cop it and others don't and continue on?

Marshall is arguably the Saints most important player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Just can the round how can you have some teams cop it and others don't and continue on?

Marshall is arguably the Saints most important player.
    So is Dunks

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

ADELAIDE and Port Adelaide will escape South Australia's lockdown and fly to Melbourne on Tuesday night after a whirlwind day where their travel plans changed multiple times.

The Power will now tackle Collingwood in Travis Boak's 300th match at Marvel Stadium on Friday night, while the Crows will face Hawthorn at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night.

It comes after SA premier Steven Marshall announced a snap seven-day lockdown on Tuesday morning with the state confirming it had recorded five cases of COVID-19.

Post Thanks / Like

Current situation:

Round 19

Friday, July 23
    Port Adelaide v Collingwood at Marvel Stadium, 7.10pm AEST

Saturday, July 24
    Carlton v North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium, 1.45pm AEST
    Brisbane v Gold Coast at the Gabba, 3.20pm AEST
    West Coast v St Kilda at Optus Stadium, 2.35pm AWST
    Melbourne v Western Bulldogs at the MCG, 7.25pm AEST
    Adelaide v Hawthorn at Marvel Stadium, 7.40pm AEST

Sunday, July 25
    Sydney v Fremantle at Metricon Stadium, 12.30pm AEST
    Geelong v Richmond at the MCG, TBC
    Essendon v GWS Giants at TBC, TBC

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Why on earth are Richmond playing an away game at home when there's 0 crowd?

That defies all logic. I'm not one for the Cats to get a leg up, but the ultimate leg up is given to MCG tenants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Is the game in such a dire financial situation that we can't pause for a week, see how things lie after the weekend and then proceed from there? This is getting farcical.
    Yeah, I think it probably is given the uncertainty of the situation and the need to bank games while you can. Because of the levers they pulled last year and the tooth and nail fighting they had to go through with all stakeholders to pull those levers, in true AFL fashion I don't think they'd have left anything in the tank for further contingency.

That's not to say they couldn't really trim again if they needed to, more so, they would have a buffer in further cut backs they're eating through, that they probably knew but couldn't admit was insufficient, and they will do anything they can not to exhaust it.

And again that's not to say they couldn't pull more levers, but the clubs and players aren't going to give much more meaning everything else would need to be drawn from their coffers or programs and that means women and kids will be the ones missing out next and that's a really bad look.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yeah, I think it probably is given the uncertainty of the situation and the need to bank games while you can. Because of the levers they pulled last year and the tooth and nail fighting they had to go through with all stakeholders to pull those levers, in true AFL fashion I don't think they'd have left anything in the tank for further contingency.

That's not to say they couldn't really trim again if they needed to, more so, they would have a buffer in further cut backs they're eating through, that they probably knew but couldn't admit was insufficient, and they will do anything they can not to exhaust it.

And again that's not to say they couldn't pull more levers, but the clubs and players aren't going to give much more meaning everything else would need to be drawn from their coffers or programs and that means women and kids will be the ones missing out next and that's a really bad look.
    There is plenty more fat that can be trimmed from City Hall. For starters, there are upwards of a dozen senior executives with salaries well in excess of $750k a year. As with greedy politicians, public sector management, senior execs in business and those in the media (especially the completely protected taxpayer funded media), it is very difficult for these senior execs at the AFEL to ween their snouts off the pig trough when they have been gorging for so long.

2020 and 2021 has been the first time that these senior execs have had to work with a modicum of complexity for their exorbitant salaries.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    There is plenty more fat that can be trimmed from City Hall. For starters, there are upwards of a dozen senior executives with salaries well in excess of $750k a year. As with greedy politicians, public sector management, senior execs in business and those in the media (especially the completely protected taxpayer funded media), it is very difficult for these senior execs at the AFEL to ween their snouts off the pig trough when they have been gorging for so long.

2020 and 2021 has been the first time that these senior execs have had to work with a modicum of complexity for their exorbitant salaries.
    I don't disagree, but they'll hang on for dear life because to them and those of their ilk on the commission they ARE the AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Why on earth are Richmond playing an away game at home when there's 0 crowd?

That defies all logic. I'm not one for the Cats to get a leg up, but the ultimate leg up is given to MCG tenants.
    MCG has a contract blah blah. According to Caro.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Ladhams has had some important moments forward this quarter to steady up the Power. Kicked one, set one up.

Post Thanks / Like

Top spot is shaping up as in my eyes a better deal week 1 of finals.

Port in Melbourne.

Gives tomorrow night some extra incentive, doubt we need it but crikey I hope we win.

Post Thanks / Like

Just mind boggling that Carlton & Collingwood are bursting the maximum salary cap and can’t get out of the bottom 5. I’m betting neither will trade players out to actually rebuild properly. I think both are destined to float in no mans land on the ladder.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Just mind boggling that Carlton & Collingwood are bursting the maximum salary cap and can’t get out of the bottom 5. I’m betting neither will trade players out to actually rebuild properly. I think both are destined to float in no mans land on the ladder.
    Nice to see

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cmon suns. You’re not a pretend nothing club at all.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Tarryn Thomas has broken through. A grader now.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.