Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

The state of the game

The game at the moment is pretty much unwatchable for me. A combination of poorly thought out rule changes, coaches afraid to lose and terrible goal kicking has absolutely ruined it.

Almost lucky to get 150 points in a game these days

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The state of the game

I've watched more footy this year than I have in ages.
    The game isn't perfect but I think it's very watchable.

It doesn't need to have high scores in my view.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I find plenty of frustration, but mostly around the continual stoppage.

1. Players can grab the ball into the tackle and just hold on until the umpire blows the whistle. If the tackler pulls the player down there is a real chance of a dangerous tackle free. -- THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN. If the umpire blows the whistle sooner we reduce the injury risk and move the game on. Players need to make more effort to move the ball or be penalised.

2. Nominating the ruckman exacerbates the problem caused by the delay in blowing the whistle. Throw it up and get the game moving. If they really want to eliminate 3rd man up just penalise every time an extra player jumps in.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

5. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For mine the goal kicking, the umpiring, the rules and the defensive aspects of certain coaches/teams have been at its worst for awhile.

The deliberate out of bounds is nothing more than a crowd enhancer. It’s a joke.
    The snap set shot at goal is also becoming a joke. Players/coaches don’t even seem that disappointed when they miss.

The year started well with some high scoring, free flowing games, but that’s stopped to a dribble now.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

7. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to talk about rules again.

All the rules introduced in the past 30 years, including prior opportunity have not enhanced the game, they have changed the way the game is played. Whether you like this or not is very subjective.

Personally, I don't like the way the game, especially this year, has changed with the stand stand rule, the kick out rule and the superfluous 6.6.6. and many other rules that make umpiring now so difficult. Added to that the umpires are now giving extra time to players being tackled to get rid of the ball. This frustrates supporters no end.

I really don't understand why there are so many rule changes and what the hell the AFL is trying to achieve, because it ain't working
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sorry to talk about rules again.

All the rules introduced in the past 30 years, including prior opportunity have not enhanced the game, they have changed the way the game is played. Whether you like this or not is very subjective.

Personally, I don't like the way the game, especially this year, has changed with the stand stand rule, the kick out rule and the superfluous 6.6.6. and many other rules that make umpiring now so difficult. Added to that the umpires are now giving extra time to players being tackled to get rid of the ball. This frustrates supporters no end.

I really don't understand why there are so many rule changes and what the hell the AFL is trying to achieve, because it ain't working
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

11. Likes bornadog, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the commentators made a good point last night (rare I know). If you are tackled without sufficient prior, attempt to kick but miss your foot - play on. Exact same scenario but attempt a handball but miss your hand - holding the ball. A weird distinction in the way the game is adjudicated.

13. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've watched more footy this year than I have in ages.
    The game isn't perfect but I think it's very watchable.

It doesn't need to have high scores in my view.
    Look before the mid season break I could get on board with this kind of statement but the last 3 weeks have been completely unwatchable in my opinion. Bulldogs games are generally one of the better matches for the week so in that sense we have been blessed even the last few weeks.

You don't necessarily need high scoring to be entertaining but backwards and sideways kicking for the majority of the game is not exciting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    For mine the goal kicking, the umpiring, the rules and the defensive aspects of certain coaches/teams have been at its worst for awhile.

The deliberate out of bounds is nothing more than a crowd enhancer. It’s a joke.
    The snap set shot at goal is also becoming a joke. Players/coaches don’t even seem that disappointed when they miss.

The year started well with some high scoring, free flowing games, but that’s stopped to a dribble now.
    100% agree with everything you have said here. The stark contrast with the flow of the game from start of season to now is infuriating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    100% agree with everything you have said here. The stark contrast with the flow of the game from start of season to now is infuriating.
    Pretty well since Steve Hocking accepted the Geelong offer ...
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Last night's game of Richmond vs Brisbane was good football with both teams willing to take the game on.
    The same cannot be said for this Saints vs Port game. Dreadful stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Last night's game of Richmond vs Brisbane was good football with both teams willing to take the game on.
    The same cannot be said for this Saints vs Port game. Dreadful stuff.
    Yeah I thought last night was really entertaining.

I think it's partially the time of year where clubs become a bit more defencive as injury and fatigue set in. Umpiring doesn't help, nor do the rules of the game being messed with which I think BAD has touched on from time to time!

Overall it's been more enjoyable watching this year because we're winning, and I think that makes other games more tolerable because the general interest in the game is enhanced because we're more positive about things.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Likes bornadog liked this post