Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who is the door open for?

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Don't forget Libba.
    whoops
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Out:

Crozier
    Smith R
    JUH
    Garcia

In:

Wood
    Martin
    Treloar
    Libba

Tough on the guys going out, but this is where we are at. Of the above Garcia is the unluckiest, JUH it will depend on how he goes for the next few weeks, but if he nails the 3rd tall forward over the next few weeks then you have to say Martin becomes redundant.
    Would you consider Garcia instead of McNeil?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    B: Wood Gardner Duryea
    HB: Dale Keath Williams
    C: Hunter Dunkley Macrae
    HF: JJ Naughton Treloar
    F: Weightman Bruce JUH
    R: English Bonts Libba
    Int: Martin Daniel Richards B. Smith
    Emer: Cordy Young Garcia McNeil

Possibly also VDM for JJ
    I like this a lot. The only improvement I would see is VDM and Garcia both in for JJ and JUH
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    I like this a lot. The only improvement I would see is VDM and Garcia both in for JJ and JUH
    I prefer JJ for his experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I’ll admit I’ve got a soft spot for Cav. I think Cavarra has been pretty good in vfl games I’ve seen including this year. Can play mid & forward & wing. Ben is not gifted with top speed and short though and we’ve got a few ahead of him.I think he is a smart player, reasonably quick of mind/footy smart, team oriented too and I’m sorry he hasn’t been given half the chances of a few others. With our deep midfield and Garcia and Weightman doing so well I cannot see him getting a look in though.

West was so very promising a year or so ago. Unfortunately just has not taken his chances at senior level this year. Still think he might make it though. Again on the short side and not quick however tough as. Will be interesting to see what happens with West. For his sake and for his dad (whom I loved as a player) I hope he makes it and that it is with us.

I think Garcia and Richards are best 22 already unless Treloar comes good and then I suppose that might push Garcia out.

Scott or McNeill on the fringes….

Love Jongy but fear his body will breakdown in a final.

I think Lipinski and Wally sadly are not likely to play again for us unless there are a lot of injuries or we rest players.

Enough has been said about Hannan.

So out of that list I’d agree with others that Garcia could be that pressure player, with Richards already a lock in back half.
    I think Treloar might just shade Garcia, Josie

I wonder if Jamarra will get through the season. He made a couple of errors in the last quarter, fatigue I think. He’s still very undeveloped. If Martin returns, and English becomes the 3rd tall, his spot is in jeopardy.

Crozier makes way for Wood. Libba is an automatic inclusion.

I guess those on shaky ground for best 22 will be McNeil, Garcia, and R Smith. We have Lipinski, Wallis, Jong all a long way back. The romantic in me dreams of Jong having a Clay Smith style battering ram cameo in the finals. God that guy has suffered, but it’s so hard to see him coming back.

So much can happen, guys can lose form quickly….even Weightman, if he has another couple of ineffective weeks, is not a certainty if others begin snapping at his heels. Let’s hope we have some of the nicer kind of selection problems towards the pointy end with a fresh and healthy list.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

6. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Out:

Crozier
    Smith R
    JUH
    Garcia

In:

Wood
    Martin
    Treloar
    Libba

Tough on the guys going out, but this is where we are at. Of the above Garcia is the unluckiest, JUH it will depend on how he goes for the next few weeks, but if he nails the 3rd tall forward over the next few weeks then you have to say Martin becomes redundant.
    Nailed it.

I would argue that the 2 small forward pressure spots go to whoever is most in form out of JJ, McNeill, Garcia, Vandermeer and Scott and none of them really have shown they own that spot ahead of all the others.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I prefer JJ for his experience.
    I just don’t see his out put and pressure now. At least two young bucks will have a crack and be enthusiastic about the game.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    I wanted Garcia in, but if May & Lever go to Bruce & Naughton, I’d like another full time tall threat for Petty and not give Lever the chance to sag off and intercept easily. Jamarra in my mind is a taller medium forward who I have above Hannan & Wally. English down there for parts of a quarter stretches them. Yet Naughton, Jamarra, Weightman and JJ or VDM are at 3.07 seconds or less over 20m. So there’s plenty of speed to match the height. I think we need an extra target if May/Lever shut down our best two KPFs. Jamarra could be that player while having the speed to not make us slow. He’s a rare set of skill this lad.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted Garcia in, but if May & Lever go to Bruce & Naughton, I’d like another full time tall threat for Petty and not give Lever the chance to sag off and intercept easily. Jamarra in my mind is a taller medium forward who I have above Hannan & Wally. English down there for parts of a quarter stretches them. Yet Naughton, Jamarra, Weightman and JJ or VDM are at 3.07 seconds or less over 20m. So there’s plenty of speed to match the height. I think we need an extra target if May/Lever shut down our best two KPFs. Jamarra could be that player while having the speed to not make us slow. He’s a rare set of skill this lad.
    Hawthorn went really tall against Melbourne and were able to get the ball to the ground inside 50 because of it. i hope we were watching closely and adjust our method to suit.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the best 22 is also dependent on opposition.

As it stands I think JUH has a position that he retains until he shows he doesn't.

I also like what Garcia brings.

Against Melbourne (particularly Lever) I like the idea of Cordy as the defensive forward. Who knows what his knee might manage when the real pressure is on.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

12. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had, probably all of us had, Toby in our best team going into finals. His cruel injury opens the door to another player to lock themselves into that spot heading into September. The high half forward, forward and some minutes on ball if needed. So who should get the opportunity?

- Garcia
    - Richards (positional change)
    - Lipinski (not midfield or wing)
    - Scott
    - West
    - Wallis
    - Hannan
    - Jong
    - Cavarra

- None. Rotate if/when Libba, Dunks & Treloar are fit with Bonts & Smith
    Garcia, Wally and Jong would be my shortlist from there for the role presented in the OP.

Liking what Garcia brings to the contest. Jong is the one I’d trust to give us something if the chips were down.

14. Likes macca liked this post