Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lost Dogs United FC

Don't know if this has been attempted before but ... here goes.
    We have had some of the greatest footballers ever who've played for us. But we've also had many great, and very good, players who've been lost to us as a result of our own actions (often forced), and a multitude of other factors. For example, in the early days ( say 50s and 60s) players could get big money playing and coaching in the country or interstate.

I thought it would be interesting to put together a team for the "Lost Dogs United FC from the following players:

Bones McGhie, David Thorpe, Leon Cameron, Jordan McMahon, Michael McKenna, Mick Martyn, Michael Mclean, Jim Edmond, Neil Cordy, Ben Hudson, Jordan Roughead, Luke Dalhaus, Jake Stringer, Joel Hamling, Greg Epulston, Shaun Higgins, Bernie Quinlan, Barry Round, Doug Hawkins, George Bisset, Brian Wilson, Peter Box, Ray Walker, Ray Huppatz, Gary Dempsey, Kelvin Templeton, Daniel Cross, Matthew Hogg, Fred Cook, Bruce Reid, John Reid, David Darcy, Bob Spargo, Alex Gardiner, Graham Ion, Alan Stoneham, Peter Featherby, Andrew Purser, Jim Sewell, Brad Hardie Laurie Sandilands, Darren Baxter, Brian Lake, Doug Reynolds, Keenan Reynolds, Alan Martin, John Kerr, Ron Stockman, Richard Murrie, Jon Ballantyne, Tony McGuinness - that's 51 players, so enough to pick a Firsts and a Reserves.

There's probably a few I've missed so feel free to add to the list and where we're done start selecting your best 22 plus medical sub.
    Last edited by merantau; 29-07-2021 at 09:12 AM.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

2. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lost Dogs United FC

Speaking of Andrew Purser I was checking AFL tables last night and realised that in the 5 seasons he played with us he only ever missed one game. In the 113 games we played between 1983-1987 Purser played in 112 of them. That's amazing durability.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

From memory he was suspended for striking Brian Taylor. Alistair Ford played in the ruck instead and we lost that game

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I’m Not Bitter Anymore! View Post
    From memory he was suspended for striking Brian Taylor. Alistair Ford played in the ruck instead and we lost that game
    I think that you are correct. The game Purser missed was the week after we played Collingwood and BT played for the pies that day. Might have been a square up for a game at the MCG a couple of years before when Taylor hit Terry Wheeler from behind while Taylor was at Richmond. Purser tried to clean BT up on the day but couldn't get to him.

7. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So here's my team for the "Lost Dogs United FC."

Backs: R Walker B Lake B. Hardie
    H. B. : N. Cordy D Darcy L. Sandilands
    C. : L. Cameron P. Box D. Hawkins
    H. F. : J. Edmond B. Quinlan M. McLean
    F. : T. McGuinness K. Templeton B. Round
    Ruck : G. Dempsey D. Thorpe G. Bisset

INT: A. Purser, D. Cross, R. Spargo, J. Sewell
    Med Sub. S. Higgins

9. Thanks GVGjr, jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Backs: J. Roughead B Lake B. Hardie
    H. B. : N. Cordy R. McGhie L. Sandilands
    C. : L. Cameron B. Wilson. D Hawkins

INT: J. Stringer D. Cross, A. Stoneham, J. Hamling
    Med Sub. S. Higgins

Team totally made up of players who went to other league clubs. Six Brownlow medalists, six premiership players.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    So here's my team for the "Lost Dogs United FC."

Backs: R Walker B Lake B. Hardie
    H. B. : N. Cordy D Darcy L. Sandilands
    C. : L. Cameron P. Box D. Hawkins

INT: A. Purser, D. Cross, R. Spargo, J. Sewell
    Med Sub. S. Higgins
    So Ricky rather than Bob Spargo?
    Used to kick a footy with Ricky when I was six. Bob joined us once. They lived a few doors from me in 81 Droop Street, they in the firebrigade flats.
    Great to heat their names again.
    Twodogs you're too young to include a Spargo.
    Like Higgins as medical sub.
    Coach Mick Malthouse?
    Would give our current team a run for its moneyespecially as drop kicks and torpedos would be legal.
    I remember a few David Darcy torps.
    Last edited by BornInDroopSt'54; 29-07-2021 at 02:11 PM.

13. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Backs: J. Roughead B Lake B. Hardie
    H. B. : N. Cordy R. McGhie L. Sandilands
    C. : L. Cameron B. Wilson. D Hawkins

INT: J. Stringer D. Cross, A. Stoneham, J. Hamling
    Med Sub. S. Higgins

Team totally made up of players who went to other league clubs. Six Brownlow medalists, six premiership players.
    Great team TD
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Great team TD
    Gotta come up with a team of players we've recruited from other clubs now.

Post Thanks / Like

Two names stand out to me, David Darcy and Ray Walker. I am old enough to remember them playing; and always thought they had retired. Does anybody know where they went after leaving the 'Dogs?

David Darcy would give a modern coach heart failure with those beautiful drop kicks when kicking the ball in after a point was scored. And I seem to remember Ray Walker earning a spot in the big white Vee on at least one occasion. He was one of a long line of great back pocket players that we seemed to be able to breed back then. Charlie Evans, Ian Bryant, Ray Walker, Gordon Casey and Terry Wheeler. Must have been something in the water back then.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

18. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    So Ricky rather than Bob Spargo?
    Used to kick a footy with Ricky when I was six. Bob joined us once. They lived a few doors from me in 81 Droop Street, they in the firebrigade flats.
    Great to heat their names again.
    Twodogs you're too young to include a Spargo.
    Like Higgins as medical sub.
    Coach Mick Malthouse?
    Would give our current team a run for its moneyespecially as drop kicks and torpedos would be legal.
    I remember a few David Darcy torps.
    No, I mean R (Bob) Spargo. I'm pretty sure he always appeared on the team sheet ats "R. Spargo." Wore number 8. A terrific player. Long striding, roaming centreman. Great kick who was really fit. Stawell Gift finalist. I was really cut when he went West to captain-coach West Perth, I believe.

By the way, do you know what junior club he played for? Russell Holmesby has him playing for Braybrook but that is incorrect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Two names stand out to me, David Darcy and Ray Walker. I am old enough to remember them playing; and always thought they had retired. Does anybody know where they went after leaving the 'Dogs?

David Darcy would give a modern coach heart failure with those beautiful drop kicks when kicking the ball in after a point was scored. And I seem to remember Ray Walker earning a spot in the big white Vee on at least one occasion. He was one of a long line of great back pocket players that we seemed to be able to breed back then. Charlie Evans, Ian Bryant, Ray Walker, Gordon Casey and Terry Wheeler. Must have been something in the water back then.
    Throw Mick Egan and Mathew Hogg into the mix too Jeanette. We had that many Owen Madigan, Footscray through and through had to cross to Richmond to get a game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post

David Darcy was transferred by his employer to South Australia. While there he played for South Adelaide for a season. Then he came back and played for us for a few years before returning to South Adelaide

Ray Walker went to play and coach very successfully in Tasmania from 1965 to 1970. He captain-coached Burnie to the Premiership in 1966 and finished up coaching the Penguin FC.

22. Likes Jeanette54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    No, I mean R (Bob) Spargo. I'm pretty sure he always appeared on the team sheet ats "R. Spargo." Wore number 8. A terrific player. Long striding, roaming centreman. Great kick who was really fit. Stawell Gift finalist. I was really cut when he went West to captain-coach West Perth, I believe.

By the way, do you know what junior club he played for? Russell Holmesby has him playing for Braybrook but that is incorrect.
    Bob Spargo didn’t play at Braybrook. He was one of many that came out of the highly successful Footscray 5ths team that included the likes of John Jillard, Graeme and Barry Ion, Charlie Evans, Cam McDonald, Merv Hobbs and Bob Ware.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Great team TD
    If we're gonna throw players in there willy nilly I'd have Nathan Brown before Joel Hamling.

His last two years with us were about as good as it gets.