Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 19, 2021 vs Melbourne

This is the round 19, 2021 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 19, 2021 vs Melbourne

Bankers

1. Bont. If ever there was a captains game, that was it. He was the difference in the last, with the team tiring. Just huge doesn't do justice.
    2. Duryea - he's the hardest man in our defensive 6. Really loved his last couple of months, he's just gotten better as the season has gone on. He's going to be critical come finals. Especially if we're nursing a hurt back 6.
    3. Daniel.. He's just class. I don't want to entertain any trade talks for him, he is critical to our ball movement

Anchors

1. There are some, but I'm giving a free pass tonight. That was too epic, and 1 down, we got the job done.

3. Likes macca, merantau, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Loved the team's intensity today. When we are fully focused, will be hard for opposition to get a run. It was great response when Demons got within a kick in the last quarter.

2. Schache, keep up that effort today. Your a lock in best 22 every week. Huge find for the team here. Finally MC listening. Important as Keith had done his hammy.

3. Hannan does provide something when he can take a mark, good tackle and an outlet forward.
    4. Weightman, mark of the year!

Anchors
    1. Starting to question what value JJ brings to the team, given competition for spots is tough.Provides no ariel threat, 1 tackle, and missed several chances today to take clean position.
    2. Richards, just bad luck being knocked headon by Pickett
    3. Still not convinced on English as a full ruckman. I hope he learnt something today up against the best ruck. Not sure is it worth using him as full time ruck and put him at risk every week. I would hate to see him peter out like a Josh Fraser.

Post Thanks / Like

B

Brownlow Bont.
    The moment takers. Hannan and in particular Jamarra’s clutch goal in the last.
    Schache. With Keath going down, his game tonight is great for him, the club and for the side the next month,

A

Cordy’s positioning is almost comical. If he could just tighten that up I’m sure most wouldn’t pay much attention.
    Bailey Smith’s left foot. I like he keeps going there, but it’s not very good if we’re honest.
    Keath’s hammy & Richards concussion.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Duryea, reads the play as well as anyone and rarely misses a target, very consistent and skilled defender.
    Richards was doing well until he was injured.
    Schache, showed intent and some aggression, good to finally see.

Anchors
    JJ not doing enough.
    Cordy, does some good things but I cringe every time he is near the action.
    Accuracy, we should have won by 5 or 6 goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. English snap goal in the first
    2. Weightman's mark of the year
    3. Bont's right foot pass to JUH to seal the game

Anchors

1. Ch7 Commentary team is so woeful
    2. Bloody injuries
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

B
    I loved the fact that at various stages Caleb, Jack Macrae, and then Bont were BOG. Bont cruised past them like the luxury vehicle he is in the last, it the other two were sensational as well.
    2. The zippy little pest Weightman is such a delight.
    3.the crazy-brave selections. Do you reckon coaches can go in and out of form, because Bevo has come out of a sort of malaise just like our team

Anchors

just one, that we weren’t there to share the joy.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

9. Likes josie, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers.
    1. All hands were on deck and had shoulders to the wheel. English stood up tonight and competed a lot better so Gawn was blunted quite a bit. Tim was good ATG and that goal off a step from 50 out was super. Ed was great. Ed and Bailey Dale - the Attack Bros.
    2. Lucky it was at the "G" because Cody would've concussed himself at Marvel. He's a bundle of mischief up forward. His manic energy is a weapon.
    3. Our experienced players were great tonight. Hunter, Libba, Bont, Bruce, Daniel, Jacko - and Baz dumping Harmes was a thing of beauty. So quick - if you blinked, you missed it. Highlight reel stuff.

Ankers

1. Injuries again. We are cursed. But we bat deep. Come on down the Shack Man.
    2. I'm conflicted about this. Did we have a plan to curb Oliver? He got masses of ball. But did he have many score involvements? Maybe it was a very subtle plan known only to those in the MC Phone Box.
    3. We need new commentators. They are just awful now.
    Last edited by merantau; 25-07-2021 at 07:22 AM.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Our defence without Keath. Daniels best game for the year, Dale wobbly for a bit but settled, schache good debut down back and duryea held down the fort!

2. Bont. I just love him. So much

3. Riley Garcia and Cody Weightmans intensity. God I love seeing players leave it all out on the field. Weightman really eye catching, but Garcia is just improving each week.

4. Hate the demons so that was delightful!

Anchors

1. The ch7 commentary team. Bring back Dennis and pair him with Daisy and fire the rest of those f&$@ing clowns! Pathetic one sided drivel

2. Centre clearances. Gawn is the best ruck in the game so no criticism but it’s frustrating still

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post

1. The ch7 commentary team. Bring back Dennis and pair him with Daisy and fire the rest of those f&$@ing clowns! Pathetic one sided drivel
    I can't stand Daisy, she hates us so I hate her

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B:

1. Bazlenka's last few weeks have been extremely productive after a fairly middling first half of the year. I thought he started the game slowly but his burst speed is a weapon, his want to tackle was great and that goal at a critical time was all class. If he can keep this high standard through to the end of the year, it'll make us hard to beat with Dunks and Treloar to return.

2. Daniel is just a freakish player and I like how Bevo is using him. They had some footage on Fox Footy last night that basically showed him following the ball around and always being in the peripheral of the ball carrier. Great work rate, elite skills, off the charts footy IQ. I've said it before, but for someone of his physical stature to have the influence he has on games, he has to be pound for pound one of the best footballers I've seen.

3. Timmy English battled really manfully all night and while it frustrates me to see him get ragdolled at times, I thought he adjusted well late in the game. He stopped jumping so early in the middle and basically just pushed into Gawn to stop him from grabbing it and clearing it easily. It's easy to forget he's just 23 which is baby age for a ruckman.

A:

1. I think JJ is really on the edge of losing his spot. Just can't seem to win any 50/50 contests inside 50 and doesn't really have the stomach to give that manic Garcia/Weightman like pressure.

2. I thought Naughts had a real almost night with his marking. Conditions obviously weren't great but he had position a few times and dropped marks that he'd normally gobble. We had very few marks inside 50 for the night and that's usually a killer for us so thankfully we made up for it with stoppage goals. Seems a bit off still since the concussion.

3. *!*!*!*!ing injuries.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

15. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    B:

1. Bazlenka's last few weeks have been extremely productive after a fairly middling first half of the year.
    The one big criticism I have of Baz is when he just slams the ball on his foot to no one in particular, especially into the F50, otherwise he is back to his best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The one big criticism I have of Baz is when he just slams the ball on his foot to no one in particular, especially into the F50, otherwise he is back to his best.
    He loves using his left for some bizarre reason.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Reckon it goes back to all those exhibition type games she played in Melbourne v Doggies.

Post Thanks / Like

Petty much?