Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  76
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Round One: Melbourne: The Reality Check.

There is an old saying in motorsport, "When the flag drops the BS stops".

Well, the pre-season hype is coming to an end. New coaches, recruits, coaching staff etc. are settling in for the long haul. But we have been handed one of the toughest season openers possible. There isn't a chance for our boys to ease into a season, it will be full on from the word go.

How do we deal with the Dees, and what are our weaknesses and strengths as our Woofers see them. Who gets to play, and who gets to sit this one out; and why?

English, Darcy and Lobb vs "Gawndy" ? Our tall forwards vs May and Lever and the rejuvenated backline vs Melbourne's premiership forwards. What about the centre breaks, both offensively and defensively?

Its both exciting to anticipate, but also daunting.

What do our other woofers think?

PS: You needn't reveal any dastardly plans here, just send them to Bevo, with a stamped self-addressed envelope. I hear tell that there is a prize for the neatest correct entry.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

2. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round One: Melbourne: The Reality Check.

The simple answer is just outscore them.

We have a team that can win it.

Melbourne need to be concerned with a few of our strengths.

Mostly I want a plan to shut down Petracca and Oliver and a plan to shut everything down if they kick consecutive goals.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

It's all about how we address their ball movement for me. I don't really have an issue with how we compare on paper, our talent pool runs just as deep and I'm good with our scoring potential but if we can't talk tight on the inside and spread hard and defend harder two Liam Jones' down back won't help us.

Having a legit three or four headed monster in play also makes May and Lever accountable. We must be in the contest everytime against these guys. Because May and Lever are so good in the air I'd play both Arty and Weightman as I feel the ball will come to ground alot and you know we're gonna bomb it in because of the hype of the monster. Weightman needs to stay DOWN or get on his bike on the lead.

Arty can play and the fact of the matter is an Aboriginal player in the forward pocket gets the heart racing both amongst the fans but also amongst opposition smalls. Haven't had a really good small in the forward pocket since Lally and it looks like there might be a spot for him.

The club has done a complete 180 and are now an attractive proposition for Indigenous talent. Their Indigenous program has been a great success and I must say I was very excited to see Marra and Arty playing good football in dangerous locations. I can see a Lillee-Marsh combo forming for the next 10 years.

Also, can Tobes please have first crack at one of Petracca or Oliver?

5. Likes Happy Days, josie, bornadog, azabob, Boots, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    The club has done a complete 180 and are now an attractive proposition for Indigenous talent. Their Indigenous program has been a great success and I must say I was very excited to see Marra and Arty playing good football in dangerous locations. I can see a Lillee-Marsh combo forming for the next 10 years.

Also, can Tobes please have first crack at one of Petracca or Oliver?
    Up the other end we have Liam Jones
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn’t we beat them last outing ? Personally I think we have improved a lot more than them draft wise . Four players to stop Gawn , Grundy , Petracca and Oliver . Correct me if I am wrong but I think English got the better of Gawn last time too. Should be a great game and a measure of where both teams are. Win it and we are on the front foot as we have the lions early as well .
    Bring back the biff

9. Likes Bulldog Legend liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On paper, the inclusion of Lobb and Jones even with the loss of Dunkley, the list looks a lot better than last year. Pre season optimism is understandable. The difference between 2021 and 2022 was work ethic when the opposition had control of the ball. Whether that was a result of a flawed game plan/strategy, for example, reduced defensive efforts by mids and forwards to teach the defenders more responsibility; or players' mindset, is uncertain, I think the latter. Whichever, what approach the players will adopt this season isn't revealed in an intra club and a practice game against the wooden spooner for the past 2 seasons. If the mindset is what it should be, the first game should be a real cracker. Good thread.

11. Likes bulldogtragic, GVGjr, Dry Rot, Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dees have tinkered with their ball movement. Much less surge mentality about it and more time in possession, more angles and marking. Definitely looked very slick so far in their two outings. Statistically on the weekend Richmond matched them in most areas Melbourne were just more efficient.

Viney and Fritsch in doubt and Salem definitely out.

13. Thanks D Mitchell, Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Dees have tinkered with their ball movement. Much less surge mentality about it and more time in possession, more angles and marking. Definitely looked very slick so far in their two outings. Statistically on the weekend Richmond matched them in most areas Melbourne were just more efficient.

Viney and Fritsch in doubt and Salem definitely out.
    They'd be some handy outs for us. It's going to be a huge test for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

15. Likes Matjoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Frontal pressure, press up hard.

Midfielders need to work very hard defensively Baz and Treloar at more CBAs in this game. Force dirty entries at all cost this will help Jones intercept.

Watch the deep wing they use maybe have a half forward check it.

Defend the corridor.

Don't tag Oliver however a team tag where he's never free and is also copping extra attention.

Fast low forward entries.
    Bombing it may work better now we have the four headed monster we can do that under pressure as an out, I'd rather move the ball in carefully if they're set and we are controlling possession.

Enter slow and wide to take Lever's strength away, also try and hit up his man where possible.

Hunter and Langdon could be a real handful. We need to ensure our wingers are switched on and don't give them too much leg rope.

Williams and Baker are my guess this has me worried to be honest. Our general lack of speed on turnover has me a bit worried.

Also score more than them.

17. Likes bornadog, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

3 teams look to be challenging to me - Melbourne, Brisbane and Geelong.
    Adelaide will surprise too, arguably the best 'pressure' side in the comp right now.

Going into this season I was concerned at what our USP was - how do we get an advantage over other teams, having lost our b&f winner and our best outside runner?
    Dinosaur-dogs (with egg) might just be the answer - 4 talls (the dinosaurs) who sit forward, all of whom move well for their height, and one designated quick pressure player (Arty/JJ/VDM) whose entire role is to just sit on the opposition's best rebounder (the egg).

Brisbane have a 3rd defender problem with Gardiner out, Melbourne have three genuinely good KPDs so Marra suddenly becomes very important as that mobile 4th who can play high
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

19. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Think we have confirmed, over time, that on our day, our best is good enough to beat anyone.

In more recent history we have discovered that there has been some structural faults with us trying to play our way, and two potentially catastrophic components to the way the squad goes about their business, either too easily bullied (think that was addressed post GWS finals losses) and too easily shut down when momentum swings (a monkey on their back post 21 GF and last years EF).

With a bit more luck injury wise, and what appear to be well made adjustments to the list and how we squeeze what we have, we should be back in that space where if we perform, we win.

Our best v your best, we win.

21. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Think we have confirmed, over time, that on our day, our best is good enough to beat anyone.

In more recent history we have discovered that there has been some structural faults with us trying to play our way, and two potentially catastrophic components to the way the squad goes about their business, either too easily bullied (think that was addressed post GWS finals losses) and too easily shut down when momentum swings (a monkey on their back post 21 GF and last years EF).

With a bit more luck injury wise, and what appear to be well made adjustments to the list and how we squeeze what we have, we should be back in that space where if we perform, we win.

Our best v your best, we win.
    I firmly believe The Bont is a huge key to our success. In 2021 when he was firing and should have taken out the Brownlow, we made the GF. Last year he was wounded and we just couldn't find a replacement with all our mids and our form slumped

Dunks may think he was better (in his mind) but he is not a match winner and couldn't cover the Bont.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

23. Likes MrMahatma, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will be a huge test against the Dees. I read about Grundy & Gawn and I guess I'm not surprised they got a few goals in a pre-season match. I'm still not shaking in my boots about Grundy up forward. And will we really lose hit outs by much more than we normally do?

I think we'll match them and our forward firepower will win us the day.

25. Likes Bulldog Legend liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Will be a huge test against the Dees. I read about Grundy & Gawn and I guess I'm not surprised they got a few goals in a pre-season match. I'm still not shaking in my boots about Grundy up forward. And will we really lose hit outs by much more than we normally do?

I think we'll match them and our forward firepower will win us the day.
    PS reports has Grundy doing 70% of the ruckwork, and Gawn playing forward a lot.
    If Viney doesn't make the side for round 1 that's huge for us. He's a beast at contested ball.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I firmly believe The Bont is a huge key to our success. In 2021 when he was firing and should have taken out the Brownlow, we made the GF. Last year he was wounded and we just couldn't find a replacement with all our mids and our form slumped

Dunks may think he was better (in his mind) but he is not a match winner and couldn't cover the Bont.
    Whilst I understand his importance it doesn't fill me with hope that our fortunes (potentially) rest on one set of shoulders.