Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  60
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bont appreciation thread

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He's better than Keh. He's better than Kelv. He's better than Kelv, Key better than Kelv...

HesbetterthanKelvinTempleton. There I said it!
    Wow! I know how difficult that must've been for you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    I think he's been my favourite since his clutch goal in the prelim
    Realistically whenever I ask a Bulldogs supporter who their favourite player is is clarify it that Bont is excluded as a choice because whether you admit it or not he is 100% every Bulldog supporters favourite player.

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    I reckon Scott Pendlebury is a bit in the mould of bont.

In all seriousness. Bont was always comparable to Pendles. Has he surpassed him?
    This may just be me not watching Collingwood that much but Pendlebury has never been "best player in the comp" good or even top 2-3? I have him similiar to guys like peak Griffen (Pendles probably ahead for career success and having a longer time at the top).
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

3. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    he's better than keh. He's better than kelv. He's better than kelv, key better than kelv...

hesbetterthankelvintempleton. There i said it!
    ruok?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Having a phenomenal season. It is those little things he does that can turn a match on its head.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Stat

AFL Player Stats
    @StatPerPlayer

Games with 25+ disposals, 2+ goals and 500+ metres gained this season:

7x - MARCUS BONTEMPELLI
    6x
    5x
    4x
    3x - Christian Petracca
    2x - Bailey Smith, Jake Stringer, Josh Kelly
    1x - 21 players
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also

AFL Player Stats
    @StatPerPlayer

Most games with 25+ disposals, 2+ goals, and 500m gained in a single H&A season: (since 2012)

9 - D.Zorko ('17)
    7 - MARCUS BONTEMPELLI (2021*)
    6 - D.Martin ('17)
    6 - Dangerfield ('16)
    6 - G.Ablett ('13)
    6 - G.Ablett ('12)
    6 - D.Swan ('12)
    5 - Dangerfield ('12)

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes Go_Dogs, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stats.

Post Thanks / Like

In thinking about the best Bulldogs I've seen in my lifetime his ability to lift us & influence games when we need it is something his contemporaries didn't/ couldn't do as often as what Marcus can... obviously he has some physical traits which make it a little easier, but he just finds an extra gear and his will to win is second to none.

My Dad who is in his early 70's and has seen lots of our best over the years says even now he's right up there with EJ as our best ever which is remarkable given he's only half way through his career.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter Ryan from The Age this morning :

THE BONT IS THE BEST

Bontempelli is the competition’s best player. An inspired period of football from him when the game was on the line won the match for the Western Bulldogs. He showed in that patch he sits above Melbourne’s Petracca – who has remained at a high standard all season – and is past Geelong’s Patrick Dangerfield and Fremantle’s Nat Fyfe.
    Martin can still lay claim to the title but even before his injury the Bont was the man, the two No. 4s greats of the modern game.
    The point about Bontempelli is that the Bulldogs can position him anywhere such is his physical presence and skill. He knows and trusts the depth of talent around him so positions himself where the Bulldogs need him most. He defends, he attacks, he marks overhead and his lace out pass to Jamarra Ugle-Hagan was on his non-preferred right foot. He has also kicked 23 goals, only needing four more for his highest season tally.

13. Thanks bornadog, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes Topdog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never in my lifetime have we had the consensus best player in the game - which Bont is this year. Grant, Johnno, Westy and Dougie were all great - but Bont is more influential than all of these when the game is up for grabs - and can just do more. He's gone up another cog again this year and I think its the way he regularly powers away from the stoppage, which he didn't do as much of previously and would tend to handball first. His metres gained and goals are right up.

23 goals has him on track for his biggest return there.
    Leads league in score involvements.
    5th in metres gained
    14th in disposals
    14th in total clearances
    10th in centre clearances
    14th in tackles

I obviously never saw EJ, and its near impossible to compare eras that are so vastly different - but if Bont simply continues at this level for the next few years, and leads us to another flag (or two), then I think it becomes inevitable that he's considered our best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    In thinking about the best Bulldogs I've seen in my lifetime his ability to lift us & influence games when we need it is something his contemporaries didn't/ couldn't do as often as what Marcus can... obviously he has some physical traits which make it a little easier, but he just finds an extra gear and his will to win is second to none.

My Dad who is in his early 70's and has seen lots of our best over the years says even now he's right up there with EJ as our best ever which is remarkable given he's only half way through his career.
    I would agree with your dad Mantis. Having seen EJ too who was brilliant I think Bont should now take the mantle of the new Mr. Football. Like EJ you can see all our current players love playing with the Bont and simply adore him.

16. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A few have mentioned it already but the fact that he is also down back as our last line of defence at times is incredble too. He really does do it all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    A few have mentioned it already but the fact that he is also down back as our last line of defence at times is incredble too. He really does do it all.
    Metres gained on Saturday were incredible at 755. He gives his all for the team

Post Thanks / Like

Top 3 in Brownlow Betting, Sportsbet:

3rd Clayton Oliver, Christian Petracca $11.00
    2nd Ollie Wines $5.50
    1st Marcus Bontempelli $1.91

Almost unbackable.

#BrownlowBont
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I've been waiting for Al to do this and happy to report that he didnt disappoint.

Anyone know the commentator for SEN in the background for his pass who just laughed at the skill of Bont? Was great to hear

21. Thanks azabob, jeemak, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post