Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your Best 22 for Finals

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    BT,

With all respect the balance of that team is out.

- B.Smith isn't playing as a pressure forward
    - Daniel isn't playing as a high HF
    - Macrae isn't playing on a wing
    - 3 tall defenders + Wood - I can't see happening either.

Understand it's a difficult task, but having a balanced team & clearly defined roles is going to be just as important as picking our best 22 players.
    As Mof asked, then perhaps Wood doesn’t play. For argument sake, we meet port with Dixon, Georgiades, Marshall & Ladhams. I think we need three KPDs. If Wood makes things unbalanced, then that’s an open question for discussion as Mof says.

I wouldn’t play Macrae on a wing, but we need to put all our guns mids somewhere. With Smith I think he gets some time on ball, but he’s down the pecking order. Hence trying to think of a different role that plays to his strengths. Are we just going to rotate mids through the forward line or look to tap someone to stay there and give us some extra continuity down there? I really like Daniel kicking I50 and kicking goals as he’s been doing the last three weeks.

It’s a near impossible task. I wanted one or two more in but just couldn’t do it. Two weeks ago Josh Schache was not getting a mention in this thread. Certainly not KPD/2nd Ruck. A lot can change in a month.

How do you see us fitting all our mids? With tall oppositions, who do you have tasked (the traditional 2 KPD & Wood) or go the taller option Bevo tried for a couple of weeks? Who are supports Tim in the ruck?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Marra & Garcia?
    Yeah, I know right.

Didn't forget them, I just don't think they'll get a game.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I like this team Jee and is probably the most likely we will go with, if Martin is fit.

As Mofra says, do we stick in JUH somewhere, but at this stage, Garcia will miss. The MC also seems to like Hannan, but who comes out?
    As Happy Days has pointed out, there's no way the MC doesn't include one of or all three of Scott, Hannan and Gardner so perhaps they're in and we don't see Martin, JJ and Richards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yeah, I know right.

Didn't forget them, I just don't think they'll get a game.
    If Garcia misses, open - question. Who is our "role player"?
    JJ has played that role this year, Hannan played every game he's available. McNeill and Scott and Rorarke have played these roles as well.
    I suspect one out of all of these players mentioned plays, at least. Richards has played the role in the past too but this year has been playing in his best position. Given Daniel has been a spare parts man too I'm leaning towards Richards getting games with perhaps JJ being the utlity who plays forward, wing and can roll back in defence if needed.

Our decision could be a little easier if (heaven forbid) Keath doesn't recover in time.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    If Garcia misses, open - question. Who is our "role player"?
    JJ has played that role this year, Hannan played every game he's available. McNeill and Scott and Rorarke have played these roles as well.
    I suspect one out of all of these players mentioned plays, at least. Richards has played the role in the past too but this year has been playing in his best position. Given Daniel has been a spare parts man too I'm leaning towards Richards getting games with perhaps JJ being the utlity who plays forward, wing and can roll back in defence if needed.

Our decision could be a little easier if (heaven forbid) Keath doesn't recover in time.
    I have JJ and Richards as the role players, and I think Hunter can certainly sacrifice his game play a role up and down the ground as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Good spot to be in and will let our unpredictable but very experienced match committee earn their coin and come up with our best side at the time. (Yeah I know I’m fence sitting before anyone comes at me). But did just want to say that Riley Garcia is this years version of 2016 Clay Smith, hard bastard and might be well suited to finals footy, hope he plays.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    As Mof asked, then perhaps Wood doesn’t play. For argument sake, we meet port with Dixon, Georgiades, Marshall & Ladhams. I think we need three KPDs. If Wood makes things unbalanced, then that’s an open question for discussion as Mof says.

I wouldn’t play Macrae on a wing, but we need to put all our guns mids somewhere. With Smith I think he gets some time on ball, but he’s down the pecking order. Hence trying to think of a different role that plays to his strengths. Are we just going to rotate mids through the forward line or look to tap someone to stay there and give us some extra continuity down there? I really like Daniel kicking I50 and kicking goals as he’s been doing the last three weeks.

It’s a near impossible task. I wanted one or two more in but just couldn’t do it. Two weeks ago Josh Schache was not getting a mention in this thread. Certainly not KPD/2nd Ruck. A lot can change in a month.

How do you see us fitting all our mids? With tall oppositions, who do you have tasked (the traditional 2 KPD & Wood) or go the taller option Bevo tried for a couple of weeks? Who are supports Tim in the ruck?
    It's really tough to forecast what our team looks like for rd1 of the finals, but I do think it's going to be very dependent on our form & the form of our players over the next 3 games and maybe even more so who we are playing in each finals as I think our line-up will change dependent upon specific match-ups.... If we play we probably need only 2 tall defenders, whereas against Port it's probably 3.

The midfield is real guessing game to see how that works... I'm really challenged to see how Bailey Smith fits in when we're at full strength. He played a quite brilliant game on the wing in rd.1, but has struggled in any other role other than inside mid for the rest of the season so I have no idea where he starts for our first final given we have a few in front of him... I still think he'll be valuable in the midfield, but expect his minutes to be greatly reduced.

Anyway great problems to have and I look forward to the next 3 games to see all make their claim for a spot in our QF team.

8. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It's really tough to forecast what our team looks like for rd1 of the finals, but I do think it's going to be very dependent on our form & the form of our players over the next 3 games and maybe even more so who we are playing in each finals as I think our line-up will change dependent upon specific match-ups.... If we play we probably need only 2 tall defenders, whereas against Port it's probably 3.

The midfield is real guessing game to see how that works... I'm really challenged to see how Bailey Smith fits in when we're at full strength. He played a quite brilliant game on the wing in rd.1, but has struggled in any other role other than inside mid for the rest of the season so I have no idea where he starts for our first final given we have a few in front of him... I still think he'll be valuable in the midfield, but expect his minutes to be greatly reduced.

Anyway great problems to have and I look forward to the next 3 games to see all make their claim for a spot in our QF team.
    No real excuses for a poor game now. If Ed, Treloar & Doc are back this week. It’s perhaps only Keath a certainty to come back. The 23 this week are in pole position to playing finals. That should be a carrot if anyone needed one.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    No real excuses for a poor game now. If Ed, Treloar & Doc are back this week. It’s perhaps only Keath a certainty to come back. The 23 this week are in pole position to playing finals. That should be a carrot if anyone needed one.
    Maybe.

As suggested I think our line-up will change depending upon our opponent... especially in defence.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for putting their likely teams forward for review. It's an interesting read.

No one has selected Mitch Hannan which I understand why but I wonder if the MC is still invested in him.
    Scott has just about been a permanent selection for us but he might be squeezed out if Treloar returns
    Would Gardner be seen as the better option than Schache by the MC?

The big question is why Comrade hasn't selected Naughton as a defender?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Schache has played 2 decent games.
    A final is a different cattle of fish, and I honestly can’t see the MC picking/trusting him over Cordy/Gardner.
    If we go 3 talls…it’s Keath, Cordy and Gardner.
    Play 2 and it’s Keath and Cordy.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

14. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Yes, Schache has played 2 decent games.
    A final is a different cattle of fish, and I honestly can’t see the MC picking/trusting him over Cordy/Gardner.
    If we go 3 talls…it’s Keath, Cordy and Gardner.
    Play 2 and it’s Keath and Cordy.
    DG forget what the MC will do. Who do you select?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Is Lewis Young now chop liver since our new shiny toy Josh Schache has played two decent games?

A few weeks back I could’ve swore Young was the answer to our defensive short comings.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Is Lewis Young now chop liver since our new shiny toy Josh Schache has played two decent games?

A few weeks back I could’ve swore Young was the answer to our defensive short comings.
    Probably. Just five games this year and a total of 20 games of a possible 109 games in 5 years. I assume the MC have concerns and they’re not being rectified. I rate him, but I think he’s not part of the plan this year and he will request a trade out which we will facilitate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

If I had to compare the two, I'd say Lewie is quicker. Perhaps slightly better in the ruck.
    Schache better at everything else football. TBH we should let Young go, with our blessings, to any club that will play him.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers