Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  44
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jong calls time

Post Thanks / Like

Jong calls time

Jong calls time

Western Bulldogs midfielder Lin Jong has announced his retirement from AFL football.

The 28-year-old has played 65 AFL games across a decade-long career at the Kennel, after being recruited with pick nine in the 2011 AFL Rookie Draft.

Jong made one AFL appearance in this season – in round six against the GWS Giants, when he suffered a serious hamstring injury.

Despite his best efforts to return to football, time has run out on his chances of playing AFL football in 2021, prompting the decision to retire.

“I’ve done everything I can to try to get back out there this year, but unfortunately time’s run out on me being able to do that and I’m comfortable that it’s the right time to hang up the boots,” Jong said.

“For the past 10 years, I’ve been fortunate to play football at the highest level for the Western Bulldogs.

“I’ve come a long way as a person and a footballer in that time and I’m really proud of everything I’ve achieved.

“There have been some injury setbacks, but I wouldn’t have my journey any other way.

“I’m grateful to everyone who has supported me across the years – all my teammates and coaches, the medical staff, trainers and our Bulldogs fans. And to my family and close friends who have been with me every step of the journey.

“I’m looking forward to seeing what the rest of the season holds for us and am excited about stepping into the next chapter of my life.”

In his time as a Bulldog, Jong was part of two VFL premierships with Footscray – in 2014 and 2016. He was awarded the Norm Goss Medal as best on ground in the 2016 decider.

He made his AFL debut in round 20, 2012 and played a career-high 16 games in 2016.

Jong’s impact as a Bulldog and in the AFL industry extends beyond his time on the playing field. He has been involved for a number of years as a mentor with Western Bulldogs Community Foundation programs, as an AFL Multicultural Ambassador and a Movember Ambassador.

Bulldogs head of football, Chris Grant, thanked Jong for his contribution over the past 10 years.

“Lin has made a significant contribution as a Western Bulldogs player. Over the past decade, he has become a much-loved, highly respected member of our playing group and he will leave a lasting legacy here,” Grant said.

“His football journey has been unique – and his pathway to becoming an AFL player was quite extraordinary in itself.

“As a player, Lin has been as tough and courageous as they come. He has unfortunately had more than his fair share of battles with injury over the journey, but he will leave the game having done everything he could on and off the field to get the very best out of himself.

“Lin will always be welcome at our club and we’re looking forward to seeing what the future has in store for him.”

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jong calls time

Sad to see Jongy go, the injuries he copped were just unfair.

I hope he can stick around the club in some role moving forward.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Sad to see Jongy go, the injuries he copped were just unfair.

I hope he can stick around the club in some role moving forward.
    Really hope he can stay on at some capacity with Footscray.

Such a good clubman and good bloke, shame his body couldn't hold up
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

He never really got a good run at it; was definitely a club fave. Hope he stays at the club in some sort of role. His ambassadorial duties until now have been outstanding. Best of luck for the future Lin ... whatever that may be
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Loved Jongy's commitment and resilience. He could've been forgiven for giving it away a lot earlier than this, but he was determined to give it everything he got.
    Like others here, hope he find a way to stay involved in some capacity.

Post Thanks / Like

Always had a soft spot for Jongy, who would ever forget his tears on the bench in the first final against WCE in 16. He was celebrating hard a few hours later after we won with a massive smile on his face, absolute team player, and probably too courageous for his own good.

Good luck Jongy.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Jongy!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

He's got a good head on his shoulders and a good sense of humour. Would be great if he played for Footscray next year
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It can be such a cruel game. Could’ve really been anything. Thanks for everything Lin.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Barring injuries Lin Jong would have been in the side every week. Courageous and a great mark for his size. Dogs supporters thank him for his dedication and contribution to the Club and wish him well for his future. Hope he continues as an AFL multicultural ambassador.

12. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jongy's mental resilience and fortitude were peerless during his playing career. Fate delivered him injury constraints time and time again. He never wilted; always wanting to continue and always displayed a positive attitude.
    Obviously respected and liked by all at the Club. Hope he can continue with a role at the Kennel well into the future.
    Not all champions are from the field of play. You're an outright Champ in your own way Lin, one to be revered.
    Best of luck for your next step in life; you deserve a bucketful.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Jongy. I hope he can stay involved with the club in some way. Such a great club man.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

I recently watched back a game against Collingwood from 2016 (don’t ask), and couldn’t believe what I was seeing out of Lin. He kicked 2 or 3 goals on the run from 50, showed a brilliant turn of speed, won multiple hard balls and just generally was outstanding. It was so far removed from the perception that endured in my head of his game. He really was a talented player and it’s such a shame for him and the club that he never really got a chance to build on that season.

Best of luck to him in whatever he does next.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Make him captain of the VFL side moving forward, deserves nothing less.

17. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A fan favourite who gave absolutely all he had at all times. Had an unlucky run with injuries but was a huge part of our 2016 flag.