Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  21
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Deeply ashamed' Walker cops lengthy ban and huge fine after racial slur

Is it a lengthy ban?
    Players association have sold out the Indigenous community and players.

They love to preach and come down hard on supporters for the same behaviour calling for life bans on membership and attending games. Yet when a former club captain who has spent years playing with Indigenous stars of our game, would have attend many educational sessions the outcome is inadequate.

Don’t even get me started on that contrived, scripted apology…
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Is it a lengthy ban?

They love to preach and come down hard on supporters for the same behaviour calling for life bans on membership and attending games. Yet when a former club captain who has spent years playing with Indigenous stars of our game, would have attend many educational sessions the outcome is inadequate.

Don’t even get me started on that contrived, scripted apology…
    I get what you are saying but I still don't know what the right answer is.
    6 weeks should be a substantial penalty especially given the exposure it has also received.
    I'm not sure that a say 12 week penalty or a lifetime ban is a better result for anyone.

I do think the competition can learn from this and it sends a strong message. Perhaps 12 weeks would send a stronger message
    I'd also be hopeful that Walker has learned a valuable lesson and that he can come out of this a better person and an advocate for a more racially aware footy community.

What stands out is that the effort clubs and the AFL provide to educate players on drugs, gambling and racism isn't sinking in with enough of the players as they would hope.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Is it a lengthy ban?

Don’t even get me started on that contrived, scripted apology
    I for one would like to see you get started on that contrived, scripted apology. It's exactly what the situation needs. I mean Az you're a pretty level headed dude from what I can tell from your years of posting here, possibly a bit of a high quality shit stirrer as well. You're exactly the type of person we need letting rip on this stuff.

A lot of racism is born from a lack of education and a lack of maturity. We shouldn't be where we are but we are, and I agree that letting off folks with a six match ban and banning others for life and publicly whipping them isn't the right way to go about it. It's about time we set some boundaries that everyone can adhere to and be accountable to, without everyone losing their shit on one hand and being at the opposite end of the spectrum on the other. If Joe Blogs gets a lifetime ban for saying what Tex did in the crowd then Tex should get a lifetime ban for saying it on the field as a spectator. If we think that's too much then let's have a conversation about it and figure out what's respectful and practical for everyone.

We've got to get better, but publicly flogging some people and not others isn't the way we will.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I for one would like to see you get started on that contrived, scripted apology. It's exactly what the situation needs. I mean Az you're a pretty level headed dude from what I can tell from your years of posting here, possibly a bit of a high quality shit stirrer as well. You're exactly the type of person we need letting rip on this stuff.

A lot of racism is born from a lack of education and a lack of maturity. We shouldn't be where we are but we are, and I agree that letting off folks with a six match ban and banning others for life and publicly whipping them isn't the right way to go about it. It's about time we set some boundaries that everyone can adhere to and be accountable to, without everyone losing their shit on one hand and being at the opposite end of the spectrum on the other. If Joe Blogs gets a lifetime ban for saying what Tex did in the crowd then Tex should get a lifetime ban for saying it on the field as a spectator. If we think that's too much then let's have a conversation about it and figure out what's respectful and practical for everyone.

We've got to get better, but publicly flogging some people and not others isn't the way we will.
    Perhaps unsurprisingly Eddie McGuire has blundered into the issue of the scripted apology by saying President Obama read speeches from an auto cue. Our own Lin Jong highlighted this idiotic comparison on Twitter.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

6. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Perhaps unsurprisingly Eddie McGuire has blundered into the issue of the scripted apology by saying President Obama read speeches from an auto cue. Our own Lin Jong highlighted this idiotic comparison on Twitter.
    As if one needs more reasons to love Lin Jong.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    As if one needs more reasons to love Lin Jong.
    Lin was allegedly racially abused by Stringer, and I am sure he has copped his fair share over the years.
    Last edited by bornadog; 14-08-2021 at 02:07 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lin was racially abused by Stringer, and I am sure he has copped his fair share over the years.
    For real? What did the club do about it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    For real? What did the club do about it?
    One of the many reasons Stringer is no longer there

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Walker should be finished In anything prominent in society. If he hasn't learnt anything by now he never will.

Hes just your typical racist and im glad he's been caught out and shamed.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Lin was racially abused by Stringer, and I am sure he has copped his fair share over the years.
    Whoa….Jake really is a wanker of the highest order.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the many reasons Stringer is no longer there
    Assuming this happened during the season did we just accept it by keeping it in house?
    We can debate the severity of the sanction that Adelaide handed out to Walker but did we 'out' Stringer publicly or drop him to send a message to the playing group it wasn't going to be accepted?
    If not, did we really do enough to support Lin Jong?

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming this happened during the season did we just accept it by keeping it in house?
    We can debate the severity of the sanction that Adelaide handed out to Walker but did we 'out' Stringer publicly or drop him to send a message to the playing group it wasn't going to be accepted?
    If not, did we really do enough to support Lin Jong?

There's a lot we don't know unless Bornadog knows and can share more.

I'd imagine we'd have to take Lin's feelings into account around whether it be public or not

15. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    There's a lot we don't know unless Bornadog knows and can share more.

I'd imagine we'd have to take Lin's feelings into account around whether it be public or not
    While that's true should he have been demoted or dropped all together? Waiting until the end of the season isn't a genuine or committed response to stamp it out of the club.

You can't be 'half in' with racism and I'd fully expect a player to be stood down or suspended.
    On face value, until BAD shares more, we have effectively swept it under the carpet and attempted to manage it in house.
    If so, is that good enough?

Our coaches must have walked past some terrible behaviors in 2017 preferring to wait until the end of the season to address it.

Post Thanks / Like

While that's true should he not have been demoted or dropped all together? Waiting until the end of the season isn't a genuine or committed response to stamp it out of the club.

You can't be 'half in' with racism and I'd fully expect a player to be stood down or suspended.
    On face value, until BAD shares more, we have effectively swept it under the carpet and attempted to manage it in house.
    If so, is that good enough?
    All I can say is my wife's nieces fiancé told me a few years ago, and knows Lin. That is all I know. I should amend by saying allegedly, but I have no reason to doubt him. I think it was locker talk, and he I recall he kept it to himself, and made no complaint (at the time) to the club in order to keep harmony amongst the group.

That is all I know.

PS: The fiancé is very sensitive to racial abuse as he is part Australian and part Filipino.

18. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is my wife's nieces fiancé told me a few years ago, and knows Lin. That is all I know. I should amend by saying allegedly, but I have no reason to doubt him. I think it was locker talk, and he I recall he kept it to himself, and made no complaint (at the time) to the club in order to keep harmony amongst the group.

That is all I know.

PS: The fiancé is very sensitive to racial abuse as he is part Australian and part Filipino.
    Thanks for clarifying but the source seems solid. When you said it was one of the reason why Stringer was no longer at the club I assumed it was a known issue.

Any insights why we might not have addressed it during the season?