Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  21
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Deeply ashamed' Walker cops lengthy ban and huge fine after racial slur

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Thanks for clarifying but the source seems solid. When you said it was one of the reason why Stringer was no longer at the club I assumed it was a known issue.

Any insights why we might not have addressed it during the season?
    As it was a few years ago I'm gonna go with "Stringer was in good form/still a potential talent" so it was inconvenient to out him.

We like to think we're better than other clubs but in reality I don't know if we are.
    "It's over. It's all over."

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    As it was a few years ago I'm gonna go with "Stringer was in good form/still a potential talent" so it was inconvenient to out him.

We like to think we're better than other clubs but in reality I don't know if we are.
    Unfortunately it does appear that the emotions of many supporters on this subject can be minimised if it has the potential to affect their own club, a star player or a finals campaign.
    It's all good and well to be outraged by Walkers comments but with what BAD has shared today it seems we waited until the end of the season to address the matter and I don't think that is good enough.
    We should be questioning why the coaches, team mates and footy staff didn't address the situation when it occurred.
    We will never have a productive indigenous programme if people are willing to accept racism based on a ladder postion.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes EasternWest, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rumoured to be retiring today
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Dippa dropped the term 'abo' at one point. He was sent up north to do a tour of aboriginal communities.
    I strongly feel unless this type of strategy isn't applied here it's a complete waste.
    Because actually, Tex could do a lot of good as a person.
    We want to grow people not banish them forever. What is the point of that?
    Sure, fines, punishment, bans, but education is the way to heal it.

I hate what happened to Matt Rendell. Zero tolerance for racism.
    But attack the problem with intelligence.

Crows have an important part to play in shaping the future of indigenous programs. Let's hope they sort it.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

7. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Dippa dropped the term 'abo' at one point. He was sent up north to do a tour of aboriginal communities.
    I strongly feel unless this type of strategy isn't applied here it's a complete waste.

Crows have an important part to play in shaping the future of indigenous programs. Let's hope they sort it.
    Tex seems pretty committed to righting his wrongs.
    Not excusing what he said but he does at least sound genuine about what has happened.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes Ghost Dog, Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Walker breaks silence after racist comment, playing future unclear

BANNED Adelaide forward Taylor Walker says his AFL future is undecided while he tries to repair the pain caused by his racist remark.

Walker has yet to consider playing on next year, having served three games of a six-match ban for making a racist comment.

"To me at the moment, playing is not my priority - it's repairing relationships with the people that I have hurt is my main priority," Walker told reporters on Thursday.

It was Walker's first appearance in front of the media after previously issuing a statement following his punishment where he said: "There is no excuse or justification for the words I said. They are unacceptable and I take full accountability for that.

"I am deeply ashamed. I did not intend to cause harm, but I know and understand that I have caused deep hurt to the official who reported the matter and to Robbie Young."

Later, he made a video apology, where Young sat with him, and at one time reached out to Walker who fought back tears (watch in the player below).

More to come
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post

I just don’t know what more he needs to “learn” after playing alongside several indigenous players including Eddie Betts who’s been outspoken against racism. Is it so ingrained/unconscious in some people that it can never be eradicated?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with this attitude. Education is the answer. Punishment may be an unavoidable part of the process, but if you can educate someone it's like planting a seed.

13. Thanks Ghost Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I just don’t know what more he needs to “learn” after playing alongside several indigenous players including Eddie Betts who’s been outspoken against racism. Is it so ingrained/unconscious in some people that it can never be eradicated?
    People learn and have to re-learn all their lives. Some lessons are forgotten or the lesson diminished needing to be re-set. You might not convince some people but we are talking about Tex Walker here. Doesn't seem like someone not wanting to move forward with it.

In one lifetime, from here on, he may go off and teach 100 kids how to play footy, to redeem himself. Is it really beyond us to forgive him and lose the up side? or is it better to permanently hound someone for their transgression for the rest of his life. i know what the kids would prefer.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

15. Likes EasternWest, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    https://indaily.com.au/opinion/2021/...ong-way-to-go/
    Well worth reading. Powerful and educational.
    I think one line in this article sums it up perfectly for me, albeit one of many excellent points made.

I can’t be more clear – a victim should not be the one consoling the perpetrator, as we saw this week.

The perpetrator in this instance, Tex, shouldn't be consoled, yet he shouldn't be banned from trying to make amends verbally and through action. The insatiable lust for public Tex floggings smacks of a public that probably needs to see a good month of what it's like to live in a society where public floggings are actually a thing. Public floggings are horrible, they don't achieve anything, and we need to be better.

I've long had an issue with "donating to a women's charity" or "donating to an indigenous foundation" as a form of punishment, because these are things we should just do anyway because we can collectively afford it and they're the right things to do. When people stuff up let's just hold them to account for the things they say they're going to do to be better.

So over to you Tex, help us make society a place where when white people say horrible things about people of colour, white people don't get consoled as if they're the victims. The rest of us will give you the space to do it, come back to us in twelve months time and show us that you have.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Not looking for public flogging, don’t think it’s impossible to make amends…my post was just about I would think the best way to get rid of racism is to work (play) alongside others - that it persists even when he has had that day to day contact with his indigenous teammates makes me rather sad.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Not looking for public flogging, don’t think it’s impossible to make amends…my post was just about I would think the best way to get rid of racism is to work (play) alongside others - that it persists even when he has had that day to day contact with his indigenous teammates makes me rather sad.
    I'm probably in the opposing camp and feel that this could be a learning moment for both Walker and the footy world.
    Walker needs to regain the trust of the club, the players and the footy public but I believe this can be done.

This isn't pointed at you or anyone but BAD recently shared that Lin Jong was subjected to racism in 2017 by a now former player of ours.
    I find it hard to believe the club wouldn't have been aware of this exactly when it happened but yet it appears we waited until the seasons end to address it whereas the Crows took swift and decisive action that many appear to believe was insufficient.

I'd be all for a consistent standard in addressing racism by anyone at a club in terms of a set penalty because it would send the strongest possible message but I'm just not sure what the right answer is.
    I just hope all clubs look past the ladder position to determine when it should be applied.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"