Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  30
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned Round twenty 2021 v Essendon

1. Our players are unable or unwilling to change their behaviours mid game to influence the result, especially if they don’t rate the opponent
    2. Our lack of players to make it physically tough for the opposition is blatant for all to see. We are not a physical team. Finals footy is physical. I wonder if we can stand up?
    3. Watching Melbourne and West Coast is making me angry and frustrated all over again
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    1. Our players are unable or unwilling to change their behaviours mid game to influence the result, especially if they don’t rate the opponent
    2. Our lack of players to make it physically tough for the opposition is blatant for all to see. We are not a physical team. Finals footy is physical. I wonder if we can stand up?
    3. Watching Melbourne and West Coast is making me angry and frustrated all over again
    I think your second point is my biggest concern. Sometimes you need to be overt and aggressive and apart from Libba we seem like a nice bunch of footballers who are quick to pull their heads in when they feel threatened.

The really good sides have a tendency to be unsociable.

Hope we can bring it like we did against the Demons more often than not from here on out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I think your second point is my biggest concern. Sometimes you need to be overt and aggressive and apart from Libba we seem like a nice bunch of footballers who are quick to pull their heads in when they feel threatened.

The really good sides have a tendency to be unsociable.

Hope we can bring it like we did against the Demons more often than not from here on out.
    Oh no not this again. This was a major issue last year. It seems talent got us only so far this year and now the nice footballers have been exposed again. I agree though. Unfortunately, it’s round 21 and we’re lamenting nice players, a need for a second ruck and a KPD. These were the main problems being discussed after last season….

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Oh no not this again. This was a major issue last year. It seems talent got us only so far this year and now the nice footballers have been exposed again. I agree though. Unfortunately, it’s round 21 and we’re lamenting nice players, a need for a second ruck and a KPD. These were the main problems being discussed after last season….
    I think the Tigers were a bit like this and Cotchin kind of reinvented himself as a bit more of an antagonist. I believe at the behest of some of his team mates.

Edit : Was 2014 https://www.afl.com.au/news/444744/t...ore-aggressive

Post Thanks / Like

When was the last time Libba really asserted mongrel or aggressive authority on a game?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Since the eagles game we’ve really looked like we’re just going through the motions out there. North, Sydney, Adelaide and now Essendon. The only outlier was Melbourne. Is it motivation? I would have thought top spot was fair motivation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    When was the last time Libba really asserted mongrel or aggressive authority on a game?
    At the start of the third quarter, three times Merrett grabbed the ball and three times Libba clamped him.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    We're lamenting it while sitting 2nd on the ladder with a 15-5 record though...

9. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    And for our 5 losses the margins have been 22, 28, 5, 19 & 13 points... tough crowd!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    And for our 5 losses the margins have been 22, 28, 5, 19 & 13 points... tough crowd!
    A top 4 finish guaranteed, first one since 2010, yes 11 years ago, and a much better team than that one.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    A top 4 finish guaranteed, first one since 2010, yes 11 years ago, and a much better team than that one.
    It's not guaranteed at all. If we lose the next 2 and Brisbane has big wins, we can drop out on %.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    For me I am both at the same time very happy with our position currently and analysing why we just lost to 12th. So I think you can exist in both worlds simultaneously.

I am unsure if the lack of hardness from some of our leaders is real or perceived. What’s mongrel? Standing under a high ball knowing you’re about to get smashed, or intimidation when necessary...both ?

My sample size isn’t just this season, and I don’t think any of us would be happy with things since the GF but sometimes I see it and really wonder if we’ve got a finals hard side. So for me, with the core of the team over the last few years it’s a very valid question.

But it could also be rubbish ! Love the discussion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It's not guaranteed at all. If we lose the next 2 and Brisbane has big wins, we can drop out on %.
    To make up 10% points with two games to go, will be very difficult.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    To make up 10% points with two games to go, will be very difficult.
    Difficult, but possible. They play Collingwood and Eagles.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just learned of course that we have dropped top spot due to carrying 8 passengers v Essendon and the stinking (non) goalkicking efforts of Naughton, Scott and Ugle-Hagan. Yes, angry..