Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  130
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can we still win it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Stef Martin coming back and absolutely yes.
    Without Stef - maybe.

Geelong have just been smashed with injury as well and Melbourne are Melbourne.

Naughton's paddock is a fair chance of working, and Weightman comes straight back in to that forward line.
    Naughton isn’t winning us a flag with his kicking, I’d rather isolate Weightman in the forward line than rely on Naughts.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes DOG GOD, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course we can still win it.

I believe that our best is better than any other team's best. It is harder without Bruce, but of course we can still win it.

We were terrible against Essendon, did heaps wrong, missed chance after chance within 15 metres, only had 17 tackles in the first half, barely a smother for the day and had an uncharacteristic shocker at centre clearance.....and were still a chance to win late in the game. Teams have set backs, Geelong had one on Friday night - can they not win it? Melbourne have lost to Collingwood and the Giants and drew with Hawthorn - and that doesn't mean they can't either.

4. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post

I believe that our best is better than any other team's best. It is harder without Bruce, but of course we can still win it.

We were terrible against Essendon, did heaps wrong, missed chance after chance within 15 metres, only had 17 tackles in the first half, barely a smother for the day and had an uncharacteristic shocker at centre clearance.....and were still a chance to win late in the game. Teams have set backs, Geelong had one on Friday night - can they not win it? Melbourne have lost to Collingwood and the Giants and drew with Hawthorn - and that doesn't mean they can't either.
    Exactly this for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post

It’s not the loss that is the issue, a loss we can rectify. It’s replacing our best goal kicker and the retooling of our entire structure 3 weeks out from finals. Just very unlikely to happen now.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It’s not the loss that is the issue, a loss we can rectify. It’s replacing our best goal kicker and the retooling of our entire structure 3 weeks out from finals. Just very unlikely to happen now.
    Have we actually had a set structure all year? If we were locked & loaded I'd be concerned, but our team has been a chess match all year and we've been able to do enough to be a top 2 team for the entirety.

It's a wild ride being a Bulldogs fan, so lets run with it and see what comes over the next couple of months.. we have enough good players to go the whole way. We didn't play well yesterday for lots of reasons, but over the course of the year we've showed up lots more times than we haven't so I'm backing us to overcome another setback and give it a real shake.

9. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If everyone buys in, yes. If we carry 7 or 8 passengers as happened yesterday we are no chance. That 7 or 8 need to refund yesterday's match payments.

Post Thanks / Like

Heaps of teams over history have won while missing key players - and when those players got injured, it was declared they couldn't win it. Absolutely acknowledge that it makes it harder - but I don't see how anyone on here can declare that we 'can't' win it.

If not us, then who wins it. I can see reasons why all of Geelong, Melbourne, Port, Lions and Swans 'won't' win it as well. We are no less chance than any, in a fairly open year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    If everyone buys in, yes. If we carry 7 or 8 passengers as happened yesterday we are no chance. That 7 or 8 need to refund yesterday's match payments.
    I think the first part of that is fair. We definitely need more out of our bottom 6. They won't win it for us, but not getting a bit more from each of the bottom handful may mean losing.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. We are still the best team in the comp.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

14. Likes Happy Days, Bulldog4life, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A day on and I still don't see it. I really think Bruce's omission is huge because of the flow on effect - Naughton can be double teamed and against decent sides Marra was always going to struggle as the third tall.

The ruck situation almost gives me more cause for concern. English is OK around the ground but as a #1 ruck you need to actually be able to ruck. He can't. Martin's absence is really frustrating because we saw how he important he was early in the year and haven't had him since.

Has to be some question marks on Keath, not ideal coming into a finals series off a hamstring.

Looking over yesterday's team, my concerns (individually) are on;

JUH - Not ready for big finals, even moreso without Bruce. Probably plays though now.
    Scott - Really trailed off, offering little for a while now.
    Schache/Cordy - Both absolutely horrendous 1-v-1, at least Schache is capable of an intercept mark.
    Garcia - I like him but can he deliver in a big final? He's not a threat for opposition to kick goals which we're going to need without Bruce.

Keath obviously comes back, but who else? Martin and Gardner unlikely. I'd run the risk on VDM if he gets fit enough. Hannan is going to be needed moving forward too.

So from yesterday;

IN - Keath, VDM, Hannan, Young
    OUT - Schache, Bruce, Scott, Garcia
    W00F!

16. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TBB,

Weightman is an important 'in' too. His ''energy'' & offensive pressure is vitally important and he hits the scoreboard too.

18. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Have to say, 41 years a member and Naughton causes me to scare my dogs with raucous profanity more than any other player during that time.

Learn.To.F*&king. KICK!
    Man you were here for the Billy Gowers era yeah?

As for the overall question, yes we can.

I distinctly remember being so flat after we lost to St.Kilda in 2016 and Wallis snapped his leg in half (and Redpath did his knee). That day I was just so dissapointed because while the game meant nothing in the context of things, it was the final nail in the coffin that said we couldn't go all the way that year. That worked out alright.

Beveridge for all his pros and cons is a weird as f*** coach. If any team can get their shit together and win a flag despite all the setbacks we have been dealt this year it's us.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

20. Likes Grantysghost, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Of course we can. We have had a pretty good year and the opposition are all floundering as well.
    Absolutely we can. Backs against the wall will suit us. No one will give us a chance now. It will be difficult and will mean others need to step up.

Remember 2016 we lost Murphy in the last minute of round 3 but somehow we managed to win the damn thing. Let’s do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post

I distinctly remember being so flat after we lost to St.Kilda in 2016 and Wallis snapped his leg in half (and Redpath did his knee). That day I was just so dissapointed because while the game meant nothing in the context of things, it was the final nail in the coffin that said we couldn't go all the way that year. That worked out alright.

Beveridge for all his pros and cons is a weird as f*** coach. If any team can get their shit together and win a flag despite all the setbacks we have been dealt this year it's us.
    I don't see the same grit and mind set in this squad. We may have a bit more natural talent now but completely lack the likes of Morris, Picken, Clay etc

2016 was a once in a life time achievement.

23. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post

Billy never missed did he?