Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  130
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can we still win it?

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think JUH stays in and he and Naughton have to be the two key forwards, with English slipping down there to cause havoc. We can also go a bit smaller and VDM can slip in there.

Agree on your others as well, although Scott has played his best footy down back, but they can't all play down there.

I thought Ed looked completely lost yesterday and he needs to go back, otherwise he shouldn't play Perhaps we use Caleb like we have been in recent times, ie filling in around the ground.

So for me, Ed is also a 50/50.
    JUH is not ready. He physicallly can;t compete and struggles to stay in the game. What he does he generally does it really well, but I suspect up until Bruce's injury he was probably going to be dropped next week.

2. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    JUH is not ready. He physicallly can;t compete and struggles to stay in the game. What he does he generally does it really well, but I suspect up until Bruce's injury he was probably going to be dropped next week.
    I really prefer him to Schache or Young up forward. I know he is not ready, but was Cordy ready? Cordy played his 9th game in the GF. JUH will still attract a good backman, and he does some great chasing, and has that ex factor.

Naughton will be the focus of course.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep coming back to the expected scores yesterday - predicting us to win by over 5 goals based on the location and quality of shots vs theirs. If we had simply kicked our goals, even allowing for Peter Wright to still have the one good game of his career, we would have won comfortably and we would all be feeling a lot better.

I am feeling pretty down on our chances today, with the Bruce injury really impacting our structure. I don't have any faith in Young/Schache/Cordy moving to the forward line, nor do I have confidence that we could adjust our forward entries to lower our eyes if we go small. Tom Stewart will be licking his lips even more than usual if we face them without Bruce.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose Young is a better second ruck than Bruce? Do we look to go Keath, Schache (or Cordy because he seems to play regardless of everyone here thinks) and Young as defenders with Young following the second ruck kind of like Schache in the Melbourne game initally? That means our forward line structure can maintain 2 tall forwards more consistently (potentially 3 depending on rotations and if English spends time down there)

Edit: and of course Gardiner to replace anyone not named Keath if he's good to go.
    Last edited by hujsh; 09-08-2021 at 06:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Just seeing those numbers.jpg in huge blue font is very powerful. I don't even need to the see the image underneath

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce is still the big issue.

In form, hot favourites for the flags:

2012 - Sydney dropped their last two
    2014 - Hawks dropped one in R.21
    2015 - Hawks dropped one in R.21

Maybe it focuses the mind about the effort required.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Course we can still win it. Lose this week and we can still win it.
    This year there will be supporters of all the top 8 teams who would like to tell you why they won't win it. It's like saying to someone that Bont is a champion and then they say 'a champion would have kicked that goal'.

The 41 players have got us to a position that i couldn't have imagined pre season. If any coach can lift their confidence I'm backing Bevo.

10. Likes bornadog, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Worth considering that we have been less efficient than the oppo with our inside 50s every game since we played North. The Bruce situation hurts but we haven’t been shooting the lights out recently with our current structure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Worth considering that we have been less efficient than the oppo with our inside 50s every game since we played North. The Bruce situation hurts but we haven’t been shooting the lights out recently with our current structure.
    Maybe one less big guy will make the difference. Naughton can outmark anyone in the AFL, so maybe with no Bruce he becomes even more of a focus, and if he doesn't mark it, the little blokes can mop up
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If anything from yesterday, the side lost it more than being outplayed by a better team. Even game but the Bullies did not capitalise on their dominance versus the Bumbers (not a spelling mistake) not being able to miss a shot when forward.

Get the sense we would not be playing both Dunkley and Treloar in the middle if Footscray were able to be playing at present, given both need match practice.

What stood-out out yesterday (if Bevo made an error) was why Daniel was not in the middle or even up forward given the depth of smalls down back and missing Weightman up front? Daniel has been great up the ground in recent weeks (Richards would have been better down back).

Anyway, in dealing with a side with no Bruce, Bevo has a few options at his disposal come Finals in particular, when at least Keith is back:
    - Move Schache up froward;
    - Bring back Mitch Wallis; or
    - If Martin is not fit enough yet, play Sweet in the Middle and move English forward.

Personally, I think we go with the third option now, given Keith is not back yet. Sweet can hold his own and the Opposition Defenders are going to have to respect English. Also, Dunkley and Bont to play more up forward.

15. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post
    If anything from yesterday, the side lost it more than being outplayed by a better team. Even game but the Bullies did not capitalise on their dominance versus the Bumbers (not a spelling mistake) not being able to miss a shot when forward.

Get the sense we would not be playing both Dunkley and Treloar in the middle if Footscray were able to be playing at present, given both need match practice.

What stood-out out yesterday (if Bevo made an error) was why Daniel was not in the middle or even up forward given the depth of smalls down back and missing Weightman up front? Daniel has been great up the ground in recent weeks (Richards would have been better down back).

Anyway, in dealing with a side with no Bruce, Bevo has a few options at his disposal come Finals in particular, when at least Keith is back:
    - If Martin is not fit enough yet, play Sweet in the Middle and move English forward.

Personally, I think we go with the third option now, given Keith is not back yet. Sweet can hold his own and the Opposition Defenders are going to have to respect English. Also, Dunkley and Bont to play more up forward.
    Not sure why we didn't drop English back in front of Wright. It was clear how they were going to win from early and we did nothing to stem the tide.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC;750779 [B
    If anything from yesterday, the side lost it more than being outplayed by a better team. Even game but the Bullies did not capitalise on their dominance versus the Bumbers (not a spelling mistake) not being able to miss a shot when forward.[/B]

The implication being if we kicked straight, we win. Simple.

Except its not. We didn't kick straight yesterday. We haven't kicked straight all season. Or the one before. Or the one before that. This has not been a simple problem to fix virtually all of Beveridge's reign.

Quite frankly, the misses by Bruce and Naughton are just plain unprofessional.

18. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Why is it worth considering.? Its been like that for years. Why would we think we can just flick the switch and suddenly it gets better?

Post Thanks / Like

Now that Dunkley and Treloar are back, the midfield is stacked. We might get more out of Dunkley, Treloar and Smith if Bont plays forward. They won't be double-teaming Naughton if they have Bont to worry about
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Now that Dunkley and Treloar are back, the midfield is stacked. We might get more out of Dunkley, Treloar and Smith if Bont plays forward. They won't be double-teaming Naughton if they have Bont to worry about
    I think we're at a stage where we just tell Bont to go wherever he needs to be and the midfield adjusts around him.

Roll a player up at the stoppage, Bont either stays at the stoppage or goes back or forward - whichever he chooses. He's needed at the centre bounce because he's the only one who can hit a target on a long kick breaking away.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.