Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the AFL becoming a private school comp? And does it matter?

An interesting article about the young players feeding the AFL and NRL. Article claims that the AFL is the increasing numbers of players coming into the national competition off scholarships at private schools.

Does it matter?

Schools of thought: How pathways are leading footy codes in different directions
    Roy MastersNovember 16, 2021 — 7.45pm

As NRL clubs consider the players they will recruit for 2022 and AFL clubs assess their options at the national draft held at the end of this month, it is timely to note the considerable difference between the two codes on the schools from which their players are drawn.

The biggest problem of the AFL, according to Aussie rules luminaries I spoke to recently, is the increasing numbers of players coming into the national competition off scholarships at private schools.

If that is the AFL’s biggest problem, then it is one the NRL would like to have, given the perception that rugby league’s major challenge is the bad behaviour of its players.

Some would argue that the AFL’s biggest problem is the solution to the NRL’s enduring headache. That is, if future NRL players were educated in private schools, they would emerge as better-behaved citizens.

Well, that’s an elitist view and one which denigrates the dedicated work of teachers and coaches in the NSW and Queensland state education systems.

And it’s not as if private schools transform their future AFL players into saints, judging by the St Kevins College, Melbourne old boy who publicly burnt his school blazer in protest at the alleged behaviour of Collingwood player Jordan De Goey.

De Goey, who attended the same Toorak school, was charged with assault late last month in New York. He will vigorously defend the charge and Collingwood have stood him down. Admittedly, the behaviour he is accused of doesn’t seem as heinous as the rampage by NRL player, Matthew Lodge, six years earlier in the same city.

But the Melbourne media did not pursue De Goey as relentlessly as the Sydney media demanded the NRL take action against Lodge. It’s a further example of what some see as a reason for the perceived difference in the alleged behaviour of players in the rival codes – not simply education but the difference in reporting by the respective media.

Still, the contrasting school background of the players in the two codes is interesting. In 2019, according to a report in The Age, the Victorian government schools system accounted for 55 per cent of Year 12 enrolments but produced only 30 per cent of AFL players. Catholic schools had 24 per cent of final school year enrolments and 31 per cent of AFL players, while the wealthy independent schools comprised 21 per cent of enrolments but 39 per cent of AFL players.

The difference is largely explained by the increasing number of talented footballers awarded scholarships at the end of primary school or Year 10 and tenable to elite private schools.

The consequent decline in competitiveness of the Victorian government school system as a producer of AFL players is the problem identified by my Aussie rules sources.

However, while the AFL concedes this may be a problem in 20 years, it insists the code remains equally accessible for all. “Talented players get to play in the Victorian NAB League, which is the major pathway to the AFL,” a spokesman said. “Overall, it is a higher standard of football than any of the respective schools competitions and accessible to anyone under 19, even those who have left school.”

The pathways to the NRL are diverse, including the increasing numbers of Pasifika players who were educated overseas. No statistics are kept on the school background of NRL players but a study of the players selected for the NSW State of Origin team the past two years shows a relatively even division between those from non-government schools and government ones.

The government schools are also equally divided between those from the NSW sports high schools (Endeavour, Matraville, The Hills, Illawarra) and standard comprehensive high schools. Most of the products of non government schools are from the Catholic system, while only two players attended elite private schools – Cameron Murray (Newington) and Angus Crichton (Kings).

Sydney’s private schools have long been the bastion of rugby union, but AFL posts are sprouting up on their campuses like triffids, suggesting they may become a future source of elite players, as they are in Melbourne. However, the Victorian government system does not have NSW’s spread of sports high schools, which means low-income parents can send their athletic progeny to the free state system, rather than rely on a scholarship to a high fee-paying private school.

Comparing the grand final teams in both codes, the Western Bulldogs – perceived as a working-class club – had more graduates of private schools than Melbourne – an establishment club. The NRL’s grand final teams, not surprisingly, had minimal private school products, while players from schools like Dorrigo, Rooty Hill and Nowra show that the government comprehensive schools are still producing talent.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is the AFL becoming a private school comp? And does it matter?

I remember reading something similar a couple of years ago, I think the article at the time focussed on Carey.

Both Essendon Keilor College and Maribyrnong College have AFL programs - have they produced any footballers of note in recent times?
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

In the grand final, we had more players that attended Private Schools than Melbourne did.

It is a shame that Government schools don't have proper programmes to nurture Aussie Rules kids.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of thoughts on this.

I'm not sure I'm up to the emotion writing those thoughts would cause me but it goes a little like this:

- The AFL clubs are quite literally scared of anything that doesn't 'shine'.
    - The various talent programs across all footy states are much the same - and make some quite ridiculous allowances for private school students (allowances that are simply NOT provided to their public school brethren).
    - The coverage of private school footy - in all states - far exceeds the standard of the competitions and the old-boys network promote kids coming through from their school rather than from their junior club or state-league/NAB league club.
    - The schools take little to no responsibility for preparing their players for the season. The state-league/NAB League clubs do all the work running pre-season programs...then in late March the season starts and the schools swoop in and take the players...fine - I guess...but is there any wonder that those participating in those programs (up to 12 from each school) enjoy dominant seasons playing vs teams where half the players dont have the same fitness base?
    - The media are in league with the private schools and REPEATEDLY promote the private school that players come from. They quite literally never mention players from public schools or - shock horror, anyone who might have left early to pursue a trade (unless they want to poke fun at Jack Higgins for electing not to finish year 12).
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Thanks jeemak, Grantysghost, Mofra, Bulldog Revolution thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Dry Rot, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

mjp,

Interesting post.

Should a wily club take a contrarian approach and really focus on talented public school lads who are otherwise being overlooked?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

7. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That kid who left school early to work 10-12 hours a day as a forkie did ok in the AFL system.
    Dustin Martin

It's like some kids who are 'self starters' and should be marked higher by recruiters are marked more harshly.

I do note that we have benefited from FS picks more than most clubs and our players do tend to send a lot of their kids to St Kevins.
    Plus the APS scholarship scheme for notable talented kids like Marra and Cyril Rioli as boarders bumps up the private school numbers too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    mjp,

Interesting post.

Should a wily club take a contrarian approach and really focus on talented public school lads who are otherwise being overlooked?
    I'm not sure what it's like now, but when I was a lad the standard of public school football was really poor and the games/ scheduling severely lacked organisation.

It's the Sunday footy comps where these kids might get to shine to hopefully get onto a NAB league list.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm not sure what it's like now, but when I was a lad the standard of public school football was really poor and the games/ scheduling severely lacked organisation.

It's the Sunday footy comps where these kids might get to shine to hopefully get onto a NAB league list.
    I don't know if it is still true, but many years ago, Gov schools stopped Sport as a compulsory activity, which I think was wrong.
    Private Schools still have sport as something everyone must play.

Back when I went to school,we had a proper competition between schools in a district playing all sorts of sports including Football. Although I went to a pretty crappy school, we did produce a couple of AFL footballers.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

There were footy and cricket, softball and netball teams to join etc. but it wasn't compulsory (I finished late nineties). There was also running/ cross country and athletics etc. based on who performed well at school athletics days. For each you would go onto district, regional, and then state level competitions.

State schools are too fragmented and it would be very costly to run a well organised competition.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Channel 7 commentators can barely call a game without mentioning which private school everybody went to. Drives me *!*!*!*!ing insane.

14. Likes Twodogs, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is because more talented footballers are getting more scholarships nowadays?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Is because more talented footballers are getting more scholarships nowadays?
    I think it's changed.

Two guys I went to school with made it. They were adults at 15 though.
    Tyson Lane, Shane Ellen.

It's rare to see guys come from that type of school now.

I knew Tyson personally growing up, he was a man at 15 like seriously shaving etc.
    Also; an arrogant bastard but I stood under a pack one day and watched him climb over it and take the greatest mark I've ever seen.

I kicked 3 in the first qtr (didn't get drafted wasn't shaving until 25).

Edit : Darren Stanley.

I was friends with his brother Shaun who was the best player I'd seen probably.

17. Likes bornadog, chef, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I think it's changed.

Two guys I went to school with made it. They were adults at 15 though.
    Tyson Lane, Shane Ellen.

It's rare to see guys come from that type of school now.

I knew Tyson personally growing up, he was a man at 15 like seriously shaving etc.
    Also; an arrogant bastard but I stood under a pack one day and watched him climb over it and take the greatest mark I've ever seen.

I kicked 3 in the first qtr (didn't get drafted wasn't shaving until 25).

Edit : Darren Stanley.

I was friends with his brother Shaun who was the best player I'd seen probably.
    Worked with Tyson in Cairns post career, didn't see that side of him, might have been white line fever or he just grew out of it
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Worked with Tyson in Cairns post career, didn't see that side of him, might have been white line fever or he just grew out of it
    This was 15 ish, so yeah probably grew out of it. When you're a man at 15 hard not to walk around like the king.
    He was certainly proud of himself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    I remember reading something similar a couple of years ago, I think the article at the time focussed on Carey.

Both Essendon Keilor College and Maribyrnong College have AFL programs - have they produced any footballers of note in recent times?
    Touk Miller went to Maribyrnong.

As a matter of interest Maribyrnong is an anglicised version of an Aboriginal term 'Mirring-gnay-bir-nong', which translates as 'I can hear a ringtail possum' There are certainly plenty of possums around here at the moment.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

21. Thanks Murphy'sLore thanked for this post