Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  101
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Delisting and Retirements - 2021

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I think most everybody knows what he said.

Also, "cancel culture" is possibly the worst modern day catchphrase ever created.

I just wouldn't want him because I think he's a spent force. He's played some good footy this year but he was racing to the cliff before it. I'd be worried he spent all his tickets this year finding some form.
    It is, but it's also real. People are going to burn Walker, and still watch Wayne Carey on a Friday night without any problems at all. A man who has committed multiple offences against women, that involved physical violence and not words. Now I'm not saying physical violence or violence committed by words are the same or different, rather, one carries an element of retribution against the perpetrator the other seemingly doesn't.

As a catchphrase it's bad enough, as you've said, but upon closer examination it's even dirtier because it in itself is discriminatory against all of the rock solid offenders and perpetrators of violence upon women who need to be recognised in society, but never are.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, "cancel culture" is possibly the worst modern day catchphrase ever created
    The relentless insistence on finding offence in everything, such as the name of biscuits, really grinds my gears. I'm a Labor voter but that sort of thing trivialises the inclusive cause

On topic, Cale Hooker might be alright if we can coax him out of retirement
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

4. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It is, but it's also real. People are going to burn Walker, and still watch Wayne Carey on a Friday night without any problems at all. A man who has committed multiple offences against women, that involved physical violence and not words. Now I'm not saying physical violence or violence committed by words are the same or different, rather, one carries an element of retribution against the perpetrator the other seemingly doesn't.

As a catchphrase it's bad enough, as you've said, but upon closer examination it's even dirtier because it in itself is discriminatory against all of the rock solid offenders and perpetrators of violence upon women who need to be recognised in society, but never are.
    Wait, isn't Wayne Carey having a job the opposite of cancel culture?
    "It's over. It's all over."

6. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha...yeah...kind of my point but I was drunk well before midnight.

Post Thanks / Like

Delete.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't saying an opinion is cancel culture, kind of.. cancelling it?

I'm all for cancelling cancel culture, the anonymous metaphorical guillotine driven by the social media time machine (that just needs a beat).

But in this instance I don't have any problem with the standards we are holding Taylor accountable to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

But in this instance I don't have any problem with the standards we are holding Taylor accountable to.
    What did you think of the issue with Lin Jong that BAD raised the other day?
    It appears we chose to wait until seasons end to address it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    What did you think of the issue with Lin Jong that BAD raised the other day?
    It appears we chose to wait until seasons end to address it.
    I guess there's a couple of parts. If Lin didn't want to report it then it is difficult for the club, and I guess in the progress that's been made since then someone else may have done it for him (that's our work place culture and code of conduct now) but it's never as easy said as done. It takes courage to lead in that way.

On the other hand if the club was aware, they should've dealt with it immediately I believe.

Certainly not on to my standards that's for sure (if true).

Post Thanks / Like

I guess there's a couple of parts. If Lin didn't want to report it then it is difficult for the club, and I guess in the progress that's been made since then someone else may have done it for him (that's our work place culture and code of conduct now) but it's never as easy said as done. It takes courage to lead in that way.

On the other hand if the club was aware, they should've dealt with it immediately I believe.

Certainly not on to my standards that's for sure (if true).
    Not sure if we can use the excuse that Lin didn't want it addressed when as BAD pointed out it was one of the reasons we got rid of Stringer. You can't let things simmer and lets face it the standards you even reluctantly walk past are what you are effectively accepting. Between that and the rumored bullying that took place we really let things slip in 2017.

Racism wasn't acceptable then or years before that.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't saying an opinion is cancel culture, kind of.. cancelling it?

I'm all for cancelling cancel culture, the anonymous metaphorical guillotine driven by the social media time machine (that just needs a beat).
    I want this deleted. Grantysghost is cancelled.
    "It's over. It's all over."

14. Likes The Pie Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Not sure if we can use the excuse that Lin didn't want it addressed when as BAD pointed out it was one of the reasons we got rid of Stringer. You can't let things simmer and lets face it the standards you even reluctantly walk past are what you are effectively accepting. Between that and the rumored bullying that took place we really let things slip in 2017.

Racism wasn't acceptable then or years before that.
    Sorry I should have clarified what I said about " one of the reasons" It was this type of behaviour and other things like bullying Tom Boyd. I don't even know if it was specifically addressed by the club, as I don't know if Jong complained to the club. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if the club found out some way. Also, I don't know exactly the timing, and when it happened. If for example, Stringer was already on the outer and about to be shipped out, perhaps the club thought they would just keep it internal and he was going anyway?

That is all I can add.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I want this deleted. Grantysghost is cancelled.
    It’s an appropriate course of action.

Post Thanks / Like

Another eker bites the dust - Shaun McKernan retiring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Like most, I have no idea what he actually said, but.....

So we practice cancel culture, and send him packing forever for one thoughtless act. Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.
    I haven't called anyone else a black anything so I'm one step ahead of Tex there.

Lucky for Tex cancel culture doesn't exist or else we wouldn't be so blessed to listen to Wayne Carey every week

19. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    The relentless insistence on finding offence in everything, such as the name of biscuits, really grinds my gears. I'm a Labor voter but that sort of thing trivialises the inclusive cause

On topic, Cale Hooker might be alright if we can coax him out of retirement
    That kind of thing has been around since the 50s. Not a new thing at all

21. Likes EasternWest liked this post