Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  101
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Delisting and Retirements - 2021

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    The relentless insistence on finding offence in everything, such as the name of biscuits, really grinds my gears. I'm a Labor voter but that sort of thing trivialises the inclusive cause

On topic, Cale Hooker might be alright if we can coax him out of retirement
    Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That kind of thing has been around since the 50s. Not a new thing at all
    Back on delistings/retirements - Cale Hooker moves like he was born in the 50s, I think he's cooked.

2. Likes hujsh, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Not sure if we can use the excuse that Lin didn't want it addressed when as BAD pointed out it was one of the reasons we got rid of Stringer. You can't let things simmer and lets face it the standards you even reluctantly walk past are what you are effectively accepting. Between that and the rumored bullying that took place we really let things slip in 2017.

Racism wasn't acceptable then or years before that.
    Totally agree. Now we are seeing more people stand up and do something about it too which is great.

I played footy in the 90s, we've come a looooong way.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that we were better off as a club with Lin, and without Jake.

4. Likes bornadog, Bulldog Revolution, hujsh, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Jarrod Harbrow to get a farewell game this weekend which is a nice touch by the Suns since he hasn't played AFL since round 5.
    Been playing as a VFL onfield coach. By all accounts the indigenous boys love him
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Been playing as a VFL onfield coach. By all accounts the indigenous boys love him
    Would he be worth doing the same at Footscray next year?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    He took the first opportunity he could to return to Queensland and I can't see anybody too keen to move south in the current climate.

8. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A handy spot for all retirements: https://www.afl.com.au/news/retirements-and-delistings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    I believe that's why we wanted to sign Jermaine Jones to our VFL side (before WCE pounced with a rookie offer).
    Travis Varcoe suddenly became an important signing for us

11. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Reece Conca will not be offered a new contract by Fremantle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Reece Conca will not be offered a new contract by Fremantle
    This one is pretty controversial. If he had played ONE MORE game this year he would have triggered a contract extension clause...lot's of stories that is why he has been left out of the team of late.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Harbrow was involved in the biggest hit I've seen live.

This would get weeks nowadays. Madness that Lewis came back onto the field.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Harbrow was involved in the biggest hit I've seen live.

This would get weeks nowadays. Madness that Lewis came back onto the field.
    I was at that game too - as a lot of us probably were I suppose - and it was one of the loudest clashes I've ever heard. Loudest was when Lloyd ironed out Sewell.

Not sure I agree about the getting weeks now, unless it's judged solely on impact. In my opinion Harbrow was making a fair attempt to spoil.

Couldn't stand Jordan Lewis but that was courageous. Stupid, dumb courageous, but courageous none the less.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It is, but it's also real. People are going to burn Walker, and still watch Wayne Carey on a Friday night without any problems at all. A man who has committed multiple offences against women, that involved physical violence and not words. Now I'm not saying physical violence or violence committed by words are the same or different, rather, one carries an element of retribution against the perpetrator the other seemingly doesn't.

As a catchphrase it's bad enough, as you've said, but upon closer examination it's even dirtier because it in itself is discriminatory against all of the rock solid offenders and perpetrators of violence upon women who need to be recognised in society, but never are.
    Wayne Carey should not be commentating. He is a serial offender of violent acts against women including glassing one in the face and any time I see the Boys Club guffawing along with “Duck” I feel ill.

I have commented before on here that while racism is deservedly a complete no-no, attitudes towards women aren’t shifting at the same rate. Walker called the Indigenous player a “black c***” but the outcry wouldn’t have happened if he omitted the word black.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

18. Likes EasternWest, jeemak, josie, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I was at that game too - as a lot of us probably were I suppose - and it was one of the loudest clashes I've ever heard. Loudest was when Lloyd ironed out Sewell.

Not sure I agree about the getting weeks now, unless it's judged solely on impact. In my opinion Harbrow was making a fair attempt to spoil.

Couldn't stand Jordan Lewis but that was courageous. Stupid, dumb courageous, but courageous none the less.
    Yeah this would be a tricky one for the MRO today. Similar to the incident this year between saints and crows with Hunter. I mean Harbrow goes for the ball. He’s trying to spoil it….

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Wayne Carey should not be commentating. He is a serial offender of violent acts against women including glassing one in the face and any time I see the Boys Club guffawing along with “Duck” I feel ill.

I have commented before on here that while racism is deservedly a complete no-no, attitudes towards women aren’t shifting at the same rate. Walker called the Indigenous player a “black c***” but the outcry wouldn’t have happened if he omitted the word black.
    It's an interesting one because for me I don't associate the C-word with female anatomy. But I'm a guy, not up to me to say whether women should be offended by it or otherwise.

Agree with you on Carey, though reckon the most apt word is fawning.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

21. Likes EasternWest, chef liked this post