Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned Round twenty-three 2021 V Port Adelaide

1 - We showed up with better intent but lost our way in patches of the game which cost us.
    2 - The tolerance from supporters for having mids in the ruck is waning in a big way. It might have been reluctantly accepted a few years back but it's become evident that in most instances it doesn't work.
    3 - Calls for sacking Bevo and trading Bailey Smith are a bit over the top. I get the frustration though.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

1. The lockdown stopping VFL footy has impacted us more than anyone. Unable to have long term injured players have game time and work their way back in has meant we’ve been forced to play guys before they were ready so that they had enough game time by the finals (Dunkley, Treloar, VDM) or just can’t play them because they have no prep (Gardner, Stef). Then others on the fringe can’t get any form to return (Lipinksi, JUH, Richards, McNeill, Wally, Crozier).
    2. We missed a beat a few weeks ago moving Richards from HBF to wing. He would provide so much more than Easton out of the back half. EW’s final year of his contract would best benefit the club captaining Footscray and growing our young players.
    3. I was wrong about Roarke. He offers a point of difference.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

1. Bailey Smith should begin 2022 at Footscray and not be seen til about round 5-6 if we have legitimate coaches
    2. Band aids work until someone rips them off.
    3. I think we might just beat Essendon to give us false hope, but then get blown away the following game.
    4. We don’t deserve to be in the top 4. We are so far off Geel, Melb and Port in general consensus.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

1. We win games when we either get our free flowing fast handballing game on, or our intense pressure take no prisoners game. Both of those have been absent the last 3 weeks and we look miles off it coming back

2. Player didn’t want to contest last night. Multiple moments of the ball hitting the deck and players expecting a team mate to go in. No intensity with tackling - they just cut straight through us

3. There is no comparison now with the team on top of the ladder. I’m sure intense restrictions for 4 days before the game didn’t help - but the spark isn’t there and the players look exhausted

—————————————

Couple of comments

Roarke Smiths best game, I think he has gotten better each outing this year and shows promise

Watching Bevo furious in the coaches box was frustrating when the only change we seemed to make was a premium mid into the ruck role

Post Thanks / Like

Has Josh Dunkley had a smother since Coming back from injury?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

1. Libba is the barometer. Other teams have woken up to it.
    2. We don't know how to protect tagged mids. Felt like Libba wasnt part of a team at all.
    3. Bevo needs new ideas from a new senior assistant.

7. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. I am now steadfast in my belief that Bevo is not the man for us anymore. The absolute hubris attached to his ruck philosophy is a Greek tragedy. War time hero, blessed with gifts loses it all on one blind spot and subsequent sunk costs. I called for his sacking early, half heartedly in 2017 and genuinely, early in 2018. When he was extended I put my knives away, suspiciously accepted that we’d seen a shift this year with the recruitment of Martin and introduction of Cerebus the Three Headed Monster, but injuries opened the door for him to revert to type. Like the irresistible Siren song, his bat shit selections and ruck strategy that has failed us time and again could not be held at bay. And here we are. Most likely facing an Elimination final loss to Essendon.

I don’t have a Greek mythological reference point for brothers in arms falling apart and ending up on opposite sides of the battle field, but perhaps Stringer is like the spurned hunchback from 300 about to open the flood gates for hordes of mouth breathing Essendon folk to end our stubborn effort. I could probably massage an Achilles/Troy effort on these lines, but I haven’t had breakfast yet. Point being, I have learned that this is bloody horrific and we are on the wrong side of myths and legends at the moment.

2. I am resentful of how things have panned out post flag and though I thought that I had put it to bed, with this group now, I am only ever a few minutes of bad footy away from going ape shit. Three elements to that I suspect:

a) Lost sight in my left eye last year and have been anxious about going blind, a prick of a friend made a joke that I’ll never see us win another flag again around that time (before he knew about my health issue at least) but it’s made me very impatient.

b) The history repeating component of the flags that wagged. Players falling out, stuff ups etc. I don’t want my daughter’s story of following the dogs to be that of my parents, see a flag at a very young age and then wait your whole life to see another one with your adult children and grandchild. It was a glorious feeling, to break the Drought and I am grateful for it, but I just want this story to be different. I am worried it won’t be.

c) Our flag was one of the best efforts seen in Australian sport. Our efforts post flag have given credibility to the bullshit narrative that has been developed around us, free kick bulldogs, fluke, bye assisted etc. The footy world is trying to take that away from us and while the result wil never fade, the feeling of being there will never fade, we have let that happen without even a threat of shoving it back down people’s throats.

3. The club, players and staff are operating in the pandemic too, it’s a tough time which amplifies my reactions and mood. I am certain it is impacting them too, so I am happy to squish points 1 and 2 to the far recesses of my mind and appreciate their effort and intent. None of them woke up a month ago and said, I can’t wait to drive a dagger into the heart of our fans here. Just want them to have the rewards for their best footy, which is as good as you’ll ever see.

9. Thanks bulldogtragic, macca thanked for this post
    Likes Vred, Dancin' Douggy, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    1. I am now steadfast in my belief that Bevo is not the man for us anymore. The absolute hubris attached to his ruck philosophy is a Greek tragedy. War time hero, blessed with gifts loses it all on one blind spot and subsequent sunk costs. I called for his sacking early, half heartedly in 2017 and genuinely, early in 2018. When he was extended I put my knives away, suspiciously accepted that we’d seen a shift this year with the recruitment of Martin and introduction of Cerebus the Three Headed Monster, but injuries opened the door for him to revert to type. Like the irresistible Siren song, his bat shit selections and ruck strategy that has failed us time and again could not be held at bay. And here we are. Most likely facing an Elimination final loss to Essendon.

I don’t have a Greek mythological reference point for brothers in arms falling apart and ending up on opposite sides of the battle field, but perhaps Stringer is like the spurned hunchback from 300 about to open the flood gates for hordes of mouth breathing Essendon folk to end our stubborn effort. I could probably massage an Achilles/Troy effort on these lines, but I haven’t had breakfast yet. Point being, I have learned that this is bloody horrific and we are on the wrong side of myths and legends at the moment.

2. I am resentful of how things have panned out post flag and though I thought that I had put it to bed, with this group now, I am only ever a few minutes of bad footy away from going ape shit. Three elements to that I suspect:

a) Lost sight in my left eye last year and have been anxious about going blind, a prick of a friend made a joke that I’ll never see us win another flag again around that time (before he knew about my health issue at least) but it’s made me very impatient.

b) The history repeating component of the flags that wagged. Players falling out, stuff ups etc. I don’t want my daughter’s story of following the dogs to be that of my parents, see a flag at a very young age and then wait your whole life to see another one with your adult children and grandchild. It was a glorious feeling, to break the Drought and I am grateful for it, but I just want this story to be different. I am worried it won’t be.

c) Our flag was one of the best efforts seen in Australian sport. Our efforts post flag have given credibility to the bullshit narrative that has been developed around us, free kick bulldogs, fluke, bye assisted etc. The footy world is trying to take that away from us and while the result wil never fade, the feeling of being there will never fade, we have let that happen without even a threat of shoving it back down people’s throats.

3. The club, players and staff are operating in the pandemic too, it’s a tough time which amplifies my reactions and mood. I am certain it is impacting them too, so I am happy to squish points 1 and 2 to the far recesses of my mind and appreciate their effort and intent. None of them woke up a month ago and said, I can’t wait to drive a dagger into the heart of our fans here. Just want them to have the rewards for their best footy, which is as good as you’ll ever see.
    Love the passion SOS. I hope you're doing alright mate.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post

Great post SOStradamus. Hope things go well for you mate.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Bevo was clever to try and come up with a new tactic with the rucks and it almost paid off with Tim in the goal square. No choice when Martin is injured.

2. Bont and Libba well down makes a big difference to how we go.

3. Need a plan when teams decide to play tempo footy, especially with the worst rule ever in play ie stand stand stand.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    1. Bevo was clever to try and come up with a new tactic with the rucks and it almost paid off with Tim in the goal square. No choice when Martin is injured.

2. Bont and Libba well down makes a big difference to how we go.

3. Need a plan when teams decide to play tempo footy, especially with the worst rule ever in play ie stand stand stand.
    Surely you're not actually serious?

Hannan v Lycett/Ladhams was clever? Bont rucking late in the game while English stood 10m away was clever? Not sure I've seen English shark too many ground balls and kick them over his head.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Surely you're not actually serious?

Hannan v Lycett/Ladhams was clever? Bont rucking late in the game while English stood 10m away was clever? Not sure I've seen English shark too many ground balls and kick them over his head.
    I am talking about Playing Young as the key ruck and English in the goal square - no one thought of that (except MJP). How many times did Bont go in the ruck? Wasn't a big deal and didn't effect the outcome of the game.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I am talking about Playing Young as the key ruck and English in the goal square - no one thought of that (except MJP). How many times did Bont go in the ruck? Wasn't a big deal and didn't effect the outcome of the game.
    All hail mjp!

Not gloating (well maybe I am) but I posted the same thing. It was an obvious move given how poorly English was going as a ruckman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    All hail mjp!

Not gloating (well maybe I am) but I posted the same thing. It was an obvious move given how poorly English was going as a ruckman.
    Sorry Mantis, I forgot you said the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Having watched the last 1/4 of Eagles v Brisbane.... Brisbane simply gifted top 4 by home crowd decisions.