Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  234
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Finals Week 1

I've said this in a prior post and I agree above we should have persevered with Sweet until Martin was ready and got games into Sweet.
    As for Sweet offering nothing around the ground in the few games that Martin has play has he done much more. All Sweet needs to do is half the contest and gain experience and hopefully we gain by that.
    Also with the on / off nature of the VFL he hasn't had much of chance to get more games under his belt and a two ruck plan was working and we should have stuck with it as in hind sight could it have gone any worse.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I've said this in a prior post and I agree above we should have persevered with Sweet until Martin was ready and got games into Sweet.
    As for Sweet offering nothing around the ground in the few games that Martin has play has he done much more. All Sweet needs to do is half the contest and gain experience and hopefully we gain by that.
    Also with the on / off nature of the VFL he hasn't had much of chance to get more games under his belt and a two ruck plan was working and we should have stuck with it as in hind sight could it have gone any worse.
    The reason Sweet got dropped was he had 3 disposals, one mark and 17 hitouts in in his last game.

Since then he hasn't starred in the VFL. Agree we could have brought him back in to try again, but he is not ready. At least with young he can play a variety of roles.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think you have asked this before, and I said depending on the opposition, if we need a third tall, we bring one in. (if we have one)
    Yes, to the same observation and I can't recall if you think it should be Williams defaulting to the 3rd tall defenders role instead of Wood?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The reason Sweet got dropped was he had 3 disposals, one mark and 17 hitouts in in his last game.

Since then he hasn't starred in the VFL. Agree we could have brought him back in to try again, but he is not ready. At least with young he can play a variety of roles.

The entire team vs Melbourne was crap, why Sweet gets signaled out is beyond me. Gawn is by far the best ruck in the comp, he was gonna do that to 90% of the rucks in the competition. I just wish the MC kept that rule for everybody, because if that was the case Mr. 6 touch JJ or 3 Touch Hannan would of been dropped games ago.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yes, to the same observation and I can't recall if you think it should be Williams defaulting to the 3rd tall defenders role instead of Wood?
    Not Wood, and I don't think Williams can always play that role, depending on the opposition. If it is a very tall player then we need Keath, Gardner, Cordy

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    The entire team vs Melbourne was crap, why Sweet gets signaled out is beyond me. Gawn is by far the best ruck in the comp, he was gonna do that to 90% of the rucks in the competition. I just wish the MC kept that rule for everybody, because if that was the case Mr. 6 touch JJ or 3 Touch Hannan would of been dropped games ago.
    JJ and Hannan also apply pressure and tackle players. 3 Disposals and do nothing else is not what we should be looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Not Wood, and I don't think Williams can always play that role, depending on the opposition. If it is a very tall player then we need Keath, Gardner, Cordy
    And when that occurs I think it should be Wood moving aside as Williams, Dale and Duryea are to me clearly better players.

The thing is though that Bevo keeps throwing Wood those challenges.

Post Thanks / Like

JJ and Hannan also apply pressure and tackle players. 3 Disposals and do nothing else is not what we should be looking for.
    Not really accurate. Hannan is ok, maybe, but not really.

JJ's last 6 weeks:

Hannan's last 6 weeks:
    missed v Essendon
    missed v GC

Neither get much of the ball and both combined for 9 goals in that time. Hardly 'keep me in the team' numbers.

** Stats aren't everything but you'd be hard pressed to find many people who would say Hannan and JJ are deserving of their spot in the team **
    W00F!

10. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Not really accurate. Hannan is ok, maybe, but not really.

JJ's last 6 weeks:

Hannan's last 6 weeks:
    missed v Essendon
    missed v GC

Neither get much of the ball and both combined for 9 goals in that time. Hardly 'keep me in the team' numbers.

** Stats aren't everything but you'd be hard pressed to find many people who would say Hannan and JJ are deserving of their spot in the team **
    I am not saying that, I was illustrating they do more around the ground than a Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not saying that, I was illustrating they do more around the ground than a Sweet.
    They'd want to, Sweet is a rookie ruckman who gets dropped because he got toweled up by the best ruck in the comp. So many others get a free pass under the Beveridge.

13. Likes Vred liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    They'd want to, Sweet is a rookie ruckman who gets dropped because he got toweled up by the best ruck in the comp. So many others get a free pass under the Beveridge.
    Ok, conversation going a different way now.

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be worth trying Dale as a forward to see if he can provide some spark for us?
    I know he's in All-Australian type form there but we need some more scoring avenues.
    I'd be tempted to play Schache up forward as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be worth trying Dale as a forward to see if he can provide some spark for us?
    I know he's in All-Australian type form there but we need some more scoring avenues.
    I'd be tempted to play Schache up forward as well.
    No & no (less no).

We need more run from defence, not less.

Schache has proven he struggles to compete physically when forward, but might be able to play the 3rd tall role ok, but not sure we go clutching at straws here.

17. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    No & no (less no).

We need more run from defence, not less.

Schache has proven he struggles to compete physically when forward, but might be able to play the 3rd tall role ok, but not sure we go clutching at straws here.
    I don't know how we can add more run to the back line if we are going to play Wood and Cordy and I can't see them being dropped.
    Adding Richards might be worth considering and we know Dale has the ability to kick some goals.
    With Keath back, Schache would be a long shot for a spot next week.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how we can add more run to the back line if we are going to play Wood and Cordy and I can't see them being dropped.
    Adding Richards might be worth considering and we know Dale has the ability to kick some goals.
    With Keath back, Schache would be a long shot for a spot next week.
    Wood needs to get dropped on last nights performance… he was deplorable. Richards needs to replace him to give us more run & carry.

20. Likes josie, 1eyedog liked this post