Schache for B. Smith
    Gardner for Cordy

B: Dale Gardner Schache
    HB: Williams Keath Duryea
    C: Hunter Libba R. Smith
    HF: JJ Naughton Treloar
    F: Weightman English Marra
    R: Martin Bonts Macrae
    I: Richards (Def) Dunkley (Mid/Fwd) Daniel (wherever he wants) VDM (forward)
    Sub: B. Smith or Scott
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Finals Week 1

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Martin for Young
    Richards for Wood
    Marra for Hannan
    Schache for B. Smith
    Gardner for Cordy

F: Weightman English JJ
    I: Richards (DEF) Dunkley (Mid/Fwd) Daniel (wherever he wants) VDM (forward)
    You know I love this.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    You know I love this.
    Five players coming in with confidence will help. I think this team smashes Essendon. I don’t believe the MC will do it. We need to back in out of form players.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Martin for Young just has to happen
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Five players coming in with confidence will help. I think this team smashes Essendon. I don’t believe the MC will do it. We need to back in out of form players.
    I agree that your named side would do Essendon in. Nicely balanced, good ball users on every line. Height at both ends.

Won’t happen.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Martin for Young
    Richards for Wood
    Marra for Hannan
    Schache for B. Smith
    Gardner for Cordy

F: Weightman English Marra
    I: Richards (Def) Dunkley (Mid/Fwd) Daniel (wherever he wants) VDM (forward)
    Need insurance in case Martin or Gardner break down. Would have Young as Sub

8. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, josie, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Martin for Young
    Richards for Wood
    Marra for Hannan
    Schache for B. Smith
    Gardner for Cordy
    I don't have the same view of Bailey Smith as others but I would love Marra in the side (even though it won't happen).

If I was an opposition coach I'd be more worried about Marra kicking 3 goals than I would Hannan kicking 3 goals. Marra is probably 3-4 inches taller and quicker than the Bombers 3rd defender and an English/Naughon combo should worry them.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Time for Bevo to bite the bullet and put the best players in their best position. No favourites, we have a flag to aim for.
    Agreed, like last year I think we've picked some players without the right form level to justify the selection. We can't go into next week and beyond carrying players.

It all starts with a win next week and we will see the return of the Bulldogs with Bite.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There has been some speculation that Martin will replace Young in the side for the first final. If Martin comes in, then Young could well go into the backline. Schache or Young ???? Richards too, maybe, but who would go out ?

And what of Mitch Wallis ? I feel his hardness around the ball, and defensive forward efforts combined with a defensive role at centre bounces might be needed. Sentimentally I would like to see him in there, and if our midfield are demonstrably unwilling to take a defensive stance when required Mitch could fill that role.

Sadly someone will need to go out to bring any/all of these in. Hannan seems to be a popular choice to miss out, but I thought he showed positive signs in the game against PA. Scott out for Wallis could work. I really don't think Marra is in the mix, hopefully the VFL finals will give him a taste of finals footy. IMHO throwing him to the wolves in a sudden death senior final will do him more harm than good.

Not sure who could make way for Richards. Our much maligned back six have been miserly all year (except arguably the first Richmond game and 2MP's stand out game). They even troubled the much vaunted Geelong forwards, so its hard to see too many changes there.

Could we try Schache again at CHF, or CHB ???

I don't envy the Match Committee this week. I guess when its all said and done, we have no choice, so in Bevo we must trust.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    There has been some speculation that Martin will replace Young in the side for the first final. If Martin comes in, then Young could well go into the backline. Schache or Young ???? Richards too, maybe, but who would go out ?

And what of Mitch Wallis ? I feel his hardness around the ball, and defensive forward efforts combined with a defensive role at centre bounces might be needed. Sentimentally I would like to see him in there, and if our midfield are demonstrably unwilling to take a defensive stance when required Mitch could fill that role.

Sadly someone will need to go out to bring any/all of these in. Hannan seems to be a popular choice to miss out, but I thought he showed positive signs in the game against PA. Scott out for Wallis could work. I really don't think Marra is in the mix, hopefully the VFL finals will give him a taste of finals footy. IMHO throwing him to the wolves in a sudden death senior final will do him more harm than good.

Not sure who could make way for Richards. Our much maligned back six have been miserly all year (except arguably the first Richmond game and 2MP's stand out game). They even troubled the much vaunted Geelong forwards, so its hard to see too many changes there.

Could we try Schache again at CHF, or CHB ???

I don't envy the Match Committee this week. I guess when its all said and done, we have no choice, so in Bevo we must trust.
    It's probably the biggest test this season for the match committee.

Schache should at least be in the consideration for this weeks team but would we drop Cordy? I'm not so sure
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's probably the biggest test this season for the match committee.

Schache should at least be in the consideration for this weeks team but would we drop Cordy? I'm not so sure
    I prefer Young over Schache in the backline
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I prefer Young over Schache in the backline
    I agree. Young HAS to play as insurance for Martin, so maybe Wood out and one of Schache/Gardner for Wood.
    Cordy won’t be dropped.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

16. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Scratch match wrap: Stefan Martin’s timely return to form amid Bulldogs’ selection conundrum

Stefan Martin put his hand up for selection with an impressive display in the Western Bulldogs’ scratch match against Sydney on Saturday morning.

The Whitten Oval match – which consisted of eight, 12-minute quarters – had several players that will push for senior selection in the first week of finals.

Martin’s presence in the ruck, where he swapped with Jordon Sweet, was significant, but it remains to be seen whether he did enough to force his way back into Luke Beveridge’s best team.

Friday’s unused sub Josh Schache was solid in defence, as was Ryan Gardner for his first match since Round 15 due to a shoulder complaint.

The game, which was a 16 v 16 contest, wasn’t as good for Hayden Crozier, who suffered a head knock and failed to complete the match. Pat Lipinski woke up unwell and was told to stay home.

First-year forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan registered six shots on goal and finished with two majors.

Tim English was swung forward to help cover the loss of Josh Bruce on Friday night, which saw makeshift ruckman Lewis Young go up against Scott Lycett.

Martin has not been seen at the top level since Round 12 due to persistent hip and groin issues, but played roughly 90 minutes on Saturday.

Speaking after the game on Friday, Beveridge poured cold water on a return for Martin next weekend.

“He’s played one game in three and a half months and he’s only had one full training session,” Beveridge told reporters.
    “You can’t pick a player on the back of that preparation so we’ve just got to make do, and that’s not easy.

“At the moment he’s not a player that we can hang our hat on because he’s just missed too much footy. He hasn’t had the training load that’s required to play the game at this level for long enough, especially a final.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Stevo reporting that Tassie are going to feature in week one.

If both Melbourne and Port have games at Adelaide and the AFL doesn’t want 3 at the one venue...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Stevo reporting that Tassie are going to feature in week one.

If both Melbourne and Port have games at Adelaide and the AFL doesn’t want 3 at the one venue...
    I’m hearing syd/gws for tassie
    I will never see #16 the same!!