Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  59
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New head coach

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New head coach

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We don't need a new head coach but we might need to make some minor changes to the assistant coaches.
    Really hoping that the end of this season is the kick up the arse we need to address this. We have been saying on here for ages that we need to freshen up the coaching group, there is no way we are sacking Beveridge so this is the way see us at least trying to help us make that next step.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I think a fair assessment of performance is Bevo got us a flag in 2016 with a very young side.

2017 - Missed Finals
    2018 - Regressed Further
    2019 - Lost EF
    2020 - Lost EF
    2021 - EF Pending

My other comments earlier stand.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

As a supporter and long time member along with automatic membership renewal for my kids I am so disappointed and angry and just desperately trying not to swear. Bevo you have lost me. bontempelli in the ruck??? Mitch Hannan in the ruck??? You, sir, have a problem and we are all paying for it. We lost a final last year to your delusional theories regarding ruckmen and now you’re doin it again. I have had a gutful. Bontempelli in the ruck??? Are you effing serious??? I’m just so over this idiotic stance of yours. It’s like you’re the one guy who still believes in Beta while the whole entire planet embraces VHS. Give up. You are wrong. Stop flogging a dead horse. It doesn’t work!!!!

4. Likes Vred, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am firmly now in he sack Bevo camp

6. Likes Vred liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t know why people get so upset with suggestions of outing the coach. Why is he so protected? He does baffling things and clearly the group is broken. That has to fall on the coach.

I think his times up but at the very least we need a review and a coaching panel refresh. Let’s see what Bevo can do with some new heads and perhaps a senior advisor. A Mark Williams for example.

Post Thanks / Like

We should back Beveridge.

We are in desperate need for someone who can stand up to him in the coaches box and at match committee.

Losing Brett Montgomery and Graham Lowe has been massive blows as they were not afraid to either question Bevo and in Lowe's case was Bevo's right hand man, his rock.

I like BT suggestion of promoting Sam Power to keep him in our organisation as it appears both Carlton and Collingwood will be looking for new GM of football.

We have needed fresh coaching ideas since 2017. I can't also help we let the two wrong blokes go in Joel Corey and Jordan Russell with the soft cap cuts.

If Jayime Graham misses the Collingwood coaches job we should make a play for him as a senior assistant coach.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

9. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A more general question do you want the assistant coach to have ambition and desire to be a senior AFL coach?

From what I can gather our assistants are content being assistant coaches and don't have the desire to take the next step.

IMO you need a mix of people striving to be the best they can be and reach for that next level and others who are content with where they are at.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I don’t know why people get so upset with suggestions of outing the coach. Why is he so protected? He does baffling things and clearly the group is broken. That has to fall on the coach.

I think his times up but at the very least we need a review and a coaching panel refresh. Let’s see what Bevo can do with some new heads and perhaps a senior advisor. A Mark Williams for example.
    I'm certainly not upset by the suggestions but it's not a decision I would make.
    Regarding your question of why he is protected? He won us a flag after an extended drought so I understand why there is also reluctance for many to consider parting with him.

For all his quirks I still think he is right man for the job and I like a lot of Aza's suggestions and observations.
    I think he needs a hard task master like Montgomery or Matthew Boyd in the coaching panel.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    A more general question do you want the assistant coach to have ambition and desire to be a senior AFL coach?

From what I can gather our assistants are content being assistant coaches and don't have the desire to take the next step.

IMO you need a mix of people striving to be the best they can be and reach for that next level and others who are content with where they are at.
    Really like this. Essendon have grabbed Caracella and Giansiracusa who both have senior ambitions.

Melbourne kind of went the other way with guys like McCartney, Williams, Richardson who have already been the head honcho but they had a young coach.

I like the idea of bringing someone in who will really disrupt things and keep Bevo pushing to be his innovative best.

Michael Voss? That type of guy. Or a Kinglsey etc. (what you said someone with ambition)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think he needs a hard task master like Montgomery or Matthew Boyd in the coaching panel.
    He had Monty and he didn't like another senior voice in the box. There's no chance he accepts that sort of setup.

I get it - Clarko wouldn't want Mitchell or someone over his shoulder either - but if you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

At some point, Bevo needs to be accountable. This isn't just simply losing games; it's match selection, it's structure, it's gameplan, it's the never ending ruck crisis, it's putting elite mids as rucks, elite forwards as rucks, it's arrogance and the contempt he shows the media/fans by extension...

2016 was wonderful but it was almost six years ago. What has he done since? It's been diabolical, culminating in repeat EF exits and blowing a top 4 spot in 13 days.
    W00F!

14. Likes Vred, bulldogsthru&thru, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

I’m not in the sack Bevo camp at this time, and like your line of questioning with our assistants and Head of Football.

At face value, Hinkley seems comfortable with senior coaching aspirants in Voss, Montgomery and Bassett all under him, no doubt with Chris Davies as GM putting in place such a structure / culture that can be viable.

None of our assistants would be seen as legitimate candidates for a senior coaching position. When coupled with our lack of development in forward craft, development of an effective tap ruckman, or deployment of an effective plan B, both Ash Hansen and Steven King must finally come under review. Similarly Rohan Smith, whilst a great Bulldog person, has not left the Club since arriving from secondary school which can only restrict his vision and in what he can impart in the development of others if he hasn’t experienced football life in any other setting.

It is a reasonable question to ask if Bevo is not comfortable with being in a setting where he can be really challenged by well credentialed / senior coaching aspirants. He must harness this type of environment and Chris Grant in this regard should be ensuring that this is in place.

Aza I agree that the loss of Montgomery and Lowe was a set back in this regard.
    Last edited by Doc26; 21-08-2021 at 10:56 AM.

16. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The line coaches need to change. I do know that a former player was flabbergasted by the teachings of his line coach in the last few years of his career. Said as soon as the line coach left after addressing the players that he has a senior player within the group would stop the boys and say ‘this what we’re actually going to do’.

But Bevo is loyal beyond belief so not sure he’d be comfortable breaking up his team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The line coaches need to change. I do know that a former player was flabbergasted by the teachings of his line coach in the last few years of his career. Said as soon as the line coach left after addressing the players that he has a senior player within the group would stop the boys and say ‘this what we’re actually going to do’.

But Bevo is loyal beyond belief so not sure he’d be comfortable breaking up his team.
    That is… So beyond worrying I don’t even know where to start.

I known Trengove has also had things to say about our line coaches over the years he was with us, didn’t realise it was that bad.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the keep Bevo camp. He certainly can coach.

From the outside looking in, coupled with certain information I get from time to time I do wonder if he has built himself a little empire now at the Dogs, where he is the omnipresent potentate of the Kennel. Maybe not of his own doing, maybe it's just evolved this way I mean winning that flag has to have imbued him with some sense of godliness!

He comes across as a very caring type; sensitive, emotional, loyal to a fault.

But he really doesn't like to be challenged.

We've seen it with Barrett for eg (maybe warranted but not professional), pretty much every press conference he picks a fight with one of the journos or scoffs at a question (that maybe some members wanted answered), has gone into battle with the AFL on multiple occasions this season (medi sub for one, boxing ban etc), bristled at the constant Jamarra questions.

He seems to have lost the thing that made him approachable. He seems angry and flat most of the time, and this has to have a flow on effect to the entire team.

I know speaking to one of the younger players recently they were reticent to approach him, "because he's the senior coach". I'm not sure that's healthy. Don't talk to the CEO just talk to his line managers (coaches).

Good leaders accept challenge and disruption, and are approachable and open.

I think Bevo is definitely a good leader, but maybe we need to just bring him down a bit from Mt. Lofty and get him back to being a bit more like the guy from St.Bedes, full of energy and ambition.

A new senior assistant in my opinion is the single most important off field move going into 2022, let's challenge from within and drive ourselves to ensure that the coaching department is working as it should.

20. Thanks Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Likes ReLoad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I'm in the keep Bevo camp. He certainly can coach.

From the outside looking in, coupled with certain information I get from time to time I do wonder if he has built himself a little empire now at the Dogs, where he is the omnipresent potentate of the Kennel. Maybe not of his own doing, maybe it's just evolved this way I mean winning that flag has to have imbued him with some sense of godliness!

He comes across as a very caring type; sensitive, emotional, loyal to a fault.

But he really doesn't like to be challenged.

We've seen it with Barrett for eg (maybe warranted but not professional), pretty much every press conference he picks a fight with one of the journos or scoffs at a question (that maybe some members wanted answered), has gone into battle with the AFL on multiple occasions this season (medi sub for one, boxing ban etc), bristled at the constant Jamarra questions.

He seems to have lost the thing that made him approachable. He seems angry and flat most of the time, and this has to have a flow on effect to the entire team.

I know speaking to one of the younger players recently they were reticent to approach him, "because he's the senior coach". I'm not sure that's healthy. Don't talk to the CEO just talk to his line managers (coaches).

Good leaders accept challenge and disruption, and are approachable and open.

I think Bevo is definitely a good leader, but maybe we need to just bring him down a bit from Mt. Lofty and get him back to being a bit more like the guy from St.Bedes, full of energy and ambition.

A new senior assistant in my opinion is the single most important off field move going into 2022, let's challenge from within and drive ourselves to ensure that the coaching department is working as it should.
    If Ameet is somehow reading this, listen and take action!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.