Thanks Thanks:  54
Likes Likes:  552
Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs V Essendon - 1st Elimination Final 2021

The whole squad except for the long term injured travelled. They won't be back in Melbourne again unless we lose.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The whole squad except for the long term injured travelled. They won't be back in Melbourne again unless we lose.
    Long road trip for the boys. Results have gone our way and after beating the Injectors today, it looks like a Melbourne v Bulldogs GF
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

4. Likes Bulldog4life, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now for the excruciating wait until 3:20…

Post Thanks / Like

Looks crazy wet down there today, suits us or them better?

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve just read how hard the road trip will be for the winner of today’s game.

It really re-enforces how much we dropped the ball in the last three weeks.

I hope the players are a bit more positive than I am this morning.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

SCRAGGERS - it’s game day. Fire up.

We’ve been riding this roller coaster, a weird VR simulation because of the pandemic. Watching on telly it’s like being trapped in Ron Burgundy’s “glass case of emotion.” There have been cheers and tears. Fists shaking in frustration, in celebration. Even some spats amongst us about how best to behave as a fan in this strange online world where the catharsis and joy are sometimes muted, but the disappointment seems to get ramped up. Let’s be kind to one another, and come out snarling.

We’re 4Q away from answering a question that’s been sitting front and square for quite some time now. “What is the true face of this Bulldogs team?” A. The brilliant, cohesive, relentless and joyful Saltwater Lads or B. the disorganised, startled, labouring Representatives of Stoneopolis?

Lock in A thanks, Teddy.

Let’s &#$’ these &”#$ing Essendon #$&*’

9. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes josie, BornInDroopSt'54, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    Looks crazy wet down there today, suits us or them better?
    I think it suits us better.. our form in the wet is quite good.

Post Thanks / Like

Cruel making us wait so late…

I’m feeling confident this AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not raining here as yet, but VERY overcast…rain predicted to start around 9:30
    No wind to speak of as yet.
    I’m about 10 mins drive from the ground.
    I’m feeling a little sick in my stomach lol but thinking the rain will help us. Will negate 2MP for starters.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

13. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Feeling pretty calm this morning but it might be more apathy than anything. That being said, if we lose to the Bombers, I don’t think I’ll be able to forgive this group!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

15. Likes SonofScray, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I’ve just read how hard the road trip will be for the winner of today’s game.

It really re-enforces how much we dropped the ball in the last three weeks.

I hope the players are a bit more positive than I am this morning.
    Yeah right, it would be Tassie, Gabba, Adelaide oval then GF in Perth should today winner (us) continue through
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Feeling pretty calm this morning but it might be more apathy than anything. That being said, if we lose to the Bombers, I don’t think I’ll be able to forgive this group!
    Yep, it’s going to be a tough sell to back up after this.. for this group to progress they need to win as it’s going to be tough to rebound after pretty much *!*!*!*!ing up 10 months of work in the space of 480min.

I’m confident we will beat Essendon… because we simply have to.

18. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This article is from the August 29 issue of The Age Digital Edition.

JON PIERIK

Luke Beveridge will always be remembered for guiding the Western Bulldogs to a breakthrough premiership in 2016 but today his sole focus will be on avoiding a fourth elimination final exit.

Essendon great and respected commentator Matthew Lloyd said Beveridge was under pressure heading into the cut-throat clash against the Bombers in Launceston. And it’s a fair argument.

A premiership, particularly one that was only the Bulldogs’ second in history, buys a bucket load of credits but three-straight defeats to end this regular season, along with successive first-week exits in finals and a winless finals record outside of the magical ’16 run, has the Dogs in the spotlight.

As all teams do, the Bulldogs will review this season once it’s done. Should there be four-straight defeats, tumbling from top of the ladder and the double chance after round 20 to fifth and then an immediate finals exit, there will be some tough questions asked.

The Dogs are confident they can rebound, and an unchanged side at selection on Friday indicates it’s a lift within the team, rather than an infusion of fresh personnel, that they believe is what is needed.

‘‘ The last three weeks have been disappointing, especially in the midfield for us. We are trying to get back to the form we were all at probably in the first eight weeks of the season when we were all in the team together,’’ All-Australian midfielder Jack Macrae said. ‘‘ We probably haven’t perfectly clicked with the rucks as well over the last month, so we are pretty confident we can get back to winning the footy at the source and just doing what we do best, winning the ground territory, set the team up.’’

That’s been the public mantra all week, from Beveridge, skipper Marcus Bontempelli and fellow midfielder Lachie Hunter.

They say the recent returns of Adam Treloar and Josh Dunkley have forced a late-season adjustment that has taken time. When in sync earlier in the season with Tom Liberatore, Bontempelli and Hunter, not to mention ruckman Stef Martin, the Dogs won nine of their first 10 matches.

In recent weeks, the Dogs have slipped from first to 17th in average clearance differential, from second to 15th in average points from clearances, and from first to 17th in average points conceded from clearances. Liberatore was negated by the Power’s Willem Drew last week, while Bontempelli, who could yet be the Brownlow medallist, admits he has had a patchy month.

Josh Bruce and Aaron Naughton had been a fine tandem as marking talls inside 50. Bruce’s seasonending knee injury in the dying minutes against the Bombers in round 21 – after he had booted three goals – could not have come at a worse time. Naughton has managed only a goal a week since.

Tim English, ostensibly the Dogs’ best ruck with Martin still dealing with a groin issue, has been used predominantly as a forward, but the balance doesn’t appear right. This today leaves Lewis Young, with 22 matches in five seasons, to go up against the impressive Sam Draper.

Beveridge’s mantra since taking charge has been to have his players capable of being adaptive. He doesn’t overly rate hitouts but the ruck, forward equation may ultimately be the Dogs’ undoing.

Macrae, however, prefers to take a positive mindset, pointing to the 67-18 crunching the Dogs took in hitouts in a 20-point win over the Demons. ‘‘ We beat Melbourne about a month ago and [Demons skipper Max] Gawn won the hit-outs by about 60. At times it can be overstated, the hitout numbers. As I touched on, the midfielders probably haven’t been at our best over the last three weeks,’’ he said.

The AFL spotlight can be overly harsh, but it’s sure to head to Whitten Oval should the result of the first final since 1953 between two proud clubs go against the Bulldogs.

Copyright © 2021 The Age
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

I really don’t rate Lions without Hipwood and McStay that highly, even at The Gabba. Whoever wins today, if you’re prelim worthy, I think you knock them off.

21. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I really don’t rate Lions without Hipwood and McStay that highly, even at The Gabba. Whoever wins today, if you’re prelim worthy, I think you knock them off.
    Yeah, Brisbane have a soft underbelly and can be gotten. If we somehow flick a switch today and find some form, we're a chance but it's hard to believe in this group after the last 3 weeks.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.