Thanks Thanks:  54
Likes Likes:  552
Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs V Essendon - 1st Elimination Final 2021

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Derm stated they were all there. Kids puts his body on the line and draws the frees - ill disciplined by the Bombers
    Onya Dermie!! I think he sad the only possible dubious one was the one where ?Merret? pushed Cody over the boundary line a smidge after Cody had disposed of the ball. I agree that one was a little fortunate but the other 3 were all definitely there.

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Derm stated they were all there. Kids puts his body on the line and draws the frees - ill disciplined by the Bombers
    Yep, Derm and Eddie called it well.

Post Thanks / Like

How wonderful to humiliate our hated foes from across the Maribyrnong. And how wonderful to see a return in the second half to the footy that saw us top 2 pretty much all year. I was flat at half time, even though I still hoped we’d grind out a win, the teams lack of zest saddened me. But that win could see a team like ours, which thrives on emotion, get back their self belief. I think we’ll enjoy a week in the Brisbane sun and then who knows? Our best is better than Brisbane’s, and there were great signs from Treloar and Dunkley who are very important if we’re to go deep into finals.

I hope someone has advised Cody on turning off his social media. He’s being subjected to vile homophobic abuse by heroic fans in red and black.

The love fest re Essendon in the lead up to this match was sickening. The gushing over Jake Stringer well over the top. With every article praising him I became more confident we’d win. There are still Essendon fanboys and girls everywhere in the media. To know our guys have kept the Days since Essendon Last Won a final account going for another year (at least) is very satisfying.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Onya Dermie!! I think he sad the only possible dubious one was the one where ?Merret? pushed Cody over the boundary line a smidge after Cody had disposed of the ball. I agree that one was a little fortunate but the other 3 were all definitely there.
    There were two Essendon players pushing Cody across the boundary and the one behind clearly was pushing him squarely in the back with extended arms. A clear free kick.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

6. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great win by the boys. Really bossed it after half time, though I will admit to thinking we were not clear until Vanders goal. Thought Cody was great. There are free kicks and there are free kicks - he earnt every free kick, not by ducking and drawing, but by being first to the contest and attacking the ball. He was rewarded for being first to the ball.

Thought Schache was great. 2 goals, an assist for Vanders goal and he forced Essendon to play a player on him. The result being space for Cody and Naughts.

Out backline was superb. The way we set up the wall, especially after half time and soaked up pressure and then broke from the back was a master class. Wood, Williams, Dale, Daniel superb with Keath and Gardner were fantastic.

I think we can beat Brissy. Wont be easy and it will be close, but we have the tools. Just need to believe.

8. Likes merantau, Eastdog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With Bris we can’t allow their mid forwards to kick multiple goals…guys like McCarthy, Bailey, MCluggage etc.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

I do adore Cody, and I think that the frees were largely there. But I also think that there's generations of annoying small-ish players who we used to term 'the punchables' cause you see them and your fists automatically clench (Ballentyne comes to mind as just one example) that are envious of the way Cody's glorious free-flowing blond locks help him get a bit more noticed.

He's got a wonderful way of annoying opponents and then benefiting from their ill-discipline (you can see that they want to hurt him, as the fake tough Merrett tried to do).

I thought that Cody was our most important player early, as much for his inspiring pressure as the frees that he won and converted. The smother around half-back midway through the first quarter really sparked us.

Nevertheless, I wish he'd get front and centre for at least 90% of the contests involving Naughton, Yorkshire, or another tall. It's a fundamental flaw in his game which is exacerbated by the fact that we don't really have anyone else who consistently roves to the deep kicks into our forward line (though Hannah sometimes shows potential).

Cody has shown through the season that when he's disciplined enough to get front and square (rather than fly for the heroic mark against our talls) he can rove the ball well. He can be up there with the best small forwards in the game if he makes that adjustment. And I hope that he makes it soon, because one of the reasons opponents too frequently sweep the ball out of our forward line with ease is because none of our forwards have stayed down when the ball was kicked in.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

11. Likes Testekill, merantau, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was Naughts’ best game in ages, brought manic pressure, clunked a few and even kicked a critical goal from a right foot snap (pretty sure that’s a career first). That goal assist to Hannan was special too.

Fingers crossed he takes confidence from that and unleashes next week.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

What is this rubbish from Jon Ralph in The Tackle

Cody Weightman has an acrobatic way of maximising all contact that means AFL umpires cannot help but pay him free kicks.

Of the four free kicks he was awarded on a sodden Tasmanian day which he converted into goals, one was probably there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    Nevertheless, I wish he'd get front and centre for at least 90% of the contests involving Naughton, Yorkshire, or another tall..
    Could not agree with this more, Bread. I wish anyone would.
    "It's over. It's all over."

15. Likes Testekill, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post

Cody Weightman has an acrobatic way of maximising all contact that means AFL umpires cannot help but pay him free kicks.

Of the four free kicks he was awarded on a sodden Tasmanian day which he converted into goals, one was probably there.
    No ONE probably want there. Being head locked, collared and shouldered in the head are typically free kicks in our game. Another "journo" leading the Essendon bandwagon.

17. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    That was Naughts’ best game in ages, brought manic pressure, clunked a few and even kicked a critical goal from a right foot snap (pretty sure that’s a career first). That goal assist to Hannan was special too.

Fingers crossed he takes confidence from that and unleashes next week.
    I’m hoping the momentum they all built in the second half turns things back around. Every player got better in the second half and if that can create that energy around the group that bodes well for all. I’m glad we didn’t slow down to avoid injuries. To put the foot on their throat, put pressure down on it reminds us and everyone what we are capable of when every one of the 22 is playing to their potential. Like the WCE win in 2016, the enthusiasm of killing our prey in a ruthless manner was infectious in that group, and belief returned.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

19. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolute Joke. Clickbait Murdoch rag.

https://twitter.com/superfooty/statu...834766850?s=21

21. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Maribyrnong River is in danger of being reverted back to the Saltwater River given the tears of the EOC faithful flowing so freely this evening. What a despicable bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post

We ruined the narrative his paper and every other media was running. Someone’s got to be to blame for their narrative be ruined.

I don’t care. Every media outlet invested is Essendon with their life savings, despite knowing the historical risk. When they inquired into where the capital was it was just a meeting with VM Varga holding a coffee cup for them all to drink. So drink it. All of it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

24. Likes jeemak liked this post