Thanks Thanks:  54
Likes Likes:  552
Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs V Essendon - 1st Elimination Final 2021

I reckon we’ll play Martin with view that:
    1. Even at 70% he’ll be better than Young.
    2. If we win, it gives us a better chance the week after cause he’ll have even more fitness.
    3. Our mids need to get it done either way - with a break even ruck or losing ruck.

I certainly think our best chance of winning the flag is with Martin in, and the best way for that to happen is with him playing this week and getting continuity. We’ll need some luck either way…

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I agree with what you are saying about Draper and the ruck position...what do you think we can actually DO about it though? I'm really not certain we can expect Martin to come in off such a long break and play strong footy for 4-quarters and I think there is next to no chance Sweet is selected. So that means it is the Young/English combination and...well, I'm not sure what to do about Draper who plays the position with genuine aggression.
    If the choice is a 70% TOG Stef Martin vs an 85% TOG Lewie Young as a ruck against Draper & Wright... I'm backing Stef in.

There is zero chance a team with Alex Keath in it lets 2MP kick 7 goals again. He kept Charlie Dixon to Adam Morgan-type numbers.

English will worry their defender due to his sheer height. I'd be very tempted to get Marra in the side too as a 197cm player with the ability to get separation from his opponent and can kick straight will demand to have time put into him, regardless of how raw he is.

JJ sits on Hind on pain of immediate delisting.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Marra really should be selected.

Is he ready for big finals? No, but let's also not pretend this is a 'BIG' final. It's not. It's a game against an average side in good form who just made the 8. It's not a top 4 clash where we're genuine Premiership contenders. We're not.

Naughton has been one of our worst performing since returning from the concussion. Marra at least has a natural forward flair that arguably none besides Weightman actually have. If anything, it's another good learning curve for Marra because we'll need him in 2022.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Is he ready for big finals? No, but let's also not pretend this is a 'BIG' final. It's not. It's a game against an average side in good form who just made the 8. It's not a top 4 clash where we're genuine Premiership contenders. We're not.

Naughton has been one of our worst performing since returning from the concussion. Marra at least has a natural forward flair that arguably none besides Weightman actually have. If anything, it's another good learning curve for Marra because we'll need him in 2022.
    I've lost all faith in the 'hasn't got the tank' narrative for not picking players, when you have experienced guys handed a golden ticket and picked with minimal influence each week (JJ, Wood, Hannan).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

I agree, give him the experience.

Naughton really is down in confidence is also not flying for the big marks like he was previously. We really need him to fire with Bruce missing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree, give him the experience.

Naughton really is down in confidence is also not flying for the big marks like he was previously. We really need him to fire with Bruce missing.
    I think this is a really, really big game for Naughton personally.

He was dreadful in his first 2 finals. I know he got injured in the first one later on and then last year came into the EF under a cloud, but he simply cannot serve up the same type of performance (or what he's done since returning a few weeks ago) again on Sunday.

I love him, but he needs to make his mark in a big game and he needs to do it now.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Marra had one relatively quiet game against Essendon and he’s immediately booted yet he generates shots on goal almost better than anyone else in our side.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Marra had one relatively quiet game against Essendon and he’s immediately booted yet he generates shots on goal almost better than anyone else in our side.
    But did he take a speccy in the VFL six years ago? Or somehow win a Norm Smith playing out of position at half back?

Some rationality please.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't think Essendon were 'HOPELESS' but I agree we were the better side that day...Peter Wright kicking bombs from outside 50m really sucked to life out of us as well - here's hoping we have a plan involving Alex Keath.

I agree with what you are saying about Draper and the ruck position...what do you think we can actually DO about it though? I'm really not certain we can expect Martin to come in off such a long break and play strong footy for 4-quarters and I think there is next to no chance Sweet is selected. So that means it is the Young/English combination and...well, I'm not sure what to do about Draper who plays the position with genuine aggression.
    If it was up to me I would select Martin in the ruck and Sweet at full forward as a replacement for Bruce.

Naughton is badly out of form and without a Big Bruce type of forward Essendon can afford to double team him again.

English is down on form and being able to concentrate on one aspect of his game, getting goals, should lift him.

Sweet’s presence means we can ‘nurse’ Martin and give him good breaks.

SweetÂ’s impact on the game (in our two critical weaknesses lately) would be far more positive than Hannan getting his usual 8 possessions and jumping around in the ruck. It would be worth an extra half dozen possessions for Bont, not being called on to perform miracles like last week (as in the final against GWS being in the ruck destroyed his game).

It is too late to say this wonÂ’t work. We have lost 50% of games in the last half of the season. We have proven what does not work.

Post Thanks / Like

Club have made a statement re the ground choice :

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...e-for-bulldogs

The Western Bulldogs will play their Elimination Final against Essendon this Sunday at UTAS Stadium in Launceston, and they are more than comfortable with that decision.

The Bulldogs’ hierarchy worked with the AFL over the weekend to determine the venue for the game, with a number of factors taken into consideration before the call was made.

Dogs’ CEO Ameet Bains and Head of Football Chris Grant were heavily involved in the decision-making process with League headquarters, after the Club earned a ‘home’ final for finishing fifth on the ladder at the end of the home-and-away season.

The AFL had earlier told clubs there would be no finals held in Melbourne during the first week, due to the inability to have crowds at Victorian venues, and they would give the home teams the opportunity to put forward their stadium preference.

“We had initially explored the option of playing our first final at Adelaide Oval, however with Port Adelaide earning their home final and Melbourne choosing the same venue, we essentially had to look at alternatives,” Bains said.

“Launceston appealed to us for a number of reasons. It’s less arduous for the players given it’s a shorter flight, and the restrictions on AFL teams entering Tasmania are less stringent than in other states.

“It’s been a difficult season for our group with several games impacted by extended time on the road and multiple periods of hard isolation, including in the lead-up to last week’s Round 23 game. Our priority is to ensure our players face minimal disruption, so they can prepare for this final in the best way possible.

“We also have recent experience at UTAS Stadium, having played there in Round 22. Although we didn’t get the result we were after on that day, we will be much better for the experience of playing at the venue, and we have familiarity with the travel conditions.

“I know the players, coaches and staff are excited about the opportunity to be playing in the 2021 Finals Series and welcome the prospect of a boisterous, sell-out crowd in Launceston.

“We remain confident about what we can achieve this year on-field, particularly for all of our fans here in Victoria who continue to do it extremely tough right now.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    If it was up to me I would select Martin in the ruck and Sweet at full forward as a replacement for Bruce.
    Can we agree there is ZERO % chance of that happening?

If we can agree on that, then let's try and work out what MIGHT happen!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Club have made a statement re the ground choice :

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...e-for-bulldogs

The Western Bulldogs will play their Elimination Final against Essendon this Sunday at UTAS Stadium in Launceston, and they are more than comfortable with that decision.

The Bulldogs’ hierarchy worked with the AFL over the weekend to determine the venue for the game, with a number of factors taken into consideration before the call was made.

Dogs’ CEO Ameet Bains and Head of Football Chris Grant were heavily involved in the decision-making process with League headquarters, after the Club earned a ‘home’ final for finishing fifth on the ladder at the end of the home-and-away season.

The AFL had earlier told clubs there would be no finals held in Melbourne during the first week, due to the inability to have crowds at Victorian venues, and they would give the home teams the opportunity to put forward their stadium preference.

“We had initially explored the option of playing our first final at Adelaide Oval, however with Port Adelaide earning their home final and Melbourne choosing the same venue, we essentially had to look at alternatives,” Bains said.

“Launceston appealed to us for a number of reasons. It’s less arduous for the players given it’s a shorter flight, and the restrictions on AFL teams entering Tasmania are less stringent than in other states.

“It’s been a difficult season for our group with several games impacted by extended time on the road and multiple periods of hard isolation, including in the lead-up to last week’s Round 23 game. Our priority is to ensure our players face minimal disruption, so they can prepare for this final in the best way possible.

“We also have recent experience at UTAS Stadium, having played there in Round 22. Although we didn’t get the result we were after on that day, we will be much better for the experience of playing at the venue, and we have familiarity with the travel conditions.

“I know the players, coaches and staff are excited about the opportunity to be playing in the 2021 Finals Series and welcome the prospect of a boisterous, sell-out crowd in Launceston.

“We remain confident about what we can achieve this year on-field, particularly for all of our fans here in Victoria who continue to do it extremely tough right now.”
    I did tweet a please explain to Ameet, and he has responded and also with a personal DM.

I guess CovId restrictions has played a part.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Final 8 teams v each other in 2021

MELB 8-2 120.52%
    SYD 6-3 109.37%
    GWS 5-5 83.52%
    BRIS 4-4 124.31%
    WBD 4-5 104.46%
    GEEL 4-5 96.49%
    PORT 4-4 95.91%
    ESS 1-8 79.07%

We know who Essendon's win was against

Surely they can't do it twice.

Post Thanks / Like

So we bent over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Final 8 teams v each other in 2021

MELB 8-2 120.52%
    SYD 6-3 109.37%
    GWS 5-5 83.52%
    BRIS 4-4 124.31%
    WBD 4-5 104.46%
    GEEL 4-5 96.49%
    PORT 4-4 95.91%
    ESS 1-8 79.07%

We know who Essendon's win was against

Surely they can't do it twice.
    Just shows Melbourne should be hot favourites.