Thanks Thanks:  54
Likes Likes:  552
Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs V Essendon - 1st Elimination Final 2021

Beveridge defends Bontempelli as Bulldogs weigh up ‘huge risk’ at selection

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has leapt to the defence of Marcus Bontempelli, declaring the captain’s fellow midfielders need to regain the “cohesion” they had earlier in the season in order to allow Bontempelli to again flourish.

The Bulldogs have much to think about heading into Sunday’s elimination final against Essendon in Launceston.

While they venture into the post season stung by having lost three straight matches and the double chance, tumbling from top of the ladder to fifth, Beveridge insisted on Tuesday that “everything changes” and the “game becomes a little bit different” now. But there are significant issues to address, including how to re-establish the dominance Bontempelli had while emerging as a Brownlow Medal favourite.

The gold-standard impact Bontempelli had has slipped in the past month, prompting Essendon great Matthew Lloyd to describe him as “really poor” in the loss to Port Adelaide on Friday. Bontempelli had only 15 touches, as he did against the Crows in round 20, and while he did have 34 against the Bombers a week later and 31 against the Hawks, he could not will his side to victory.

Beveridge said the Bulldogs had closely studied film of their champion midfielder.

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has leapt to the defence of Marcus Bontempelli, declaring the captain’s fellow midfielders need to regain the “cohesion” they had earlier in the season in order to allow Bontempelli to again flourish.

The Bulldogs have much to think about heading into Sunday’s elimination final against Essendon in Launceston.

While they venture into the post season stung by having lost three straight matches and the double chance, tumbling from top of the ladder to fifth, Beveridge insisted on Tuesday that “everything changes” and the “game becomes a little bit different” now. But there are significant issues to address, including how to re-establish the dominance Bontempelli had while emerging as a Brownlow Medal favourite.

The gold-standard impact Bontempelli had has slipped in the past month, prompting Essendon great Matthew Lloyd to describe him as “really poor” in the loss to Port Adelaide on Friday. Bontempelli had only 15 touches, as he did against the Crows in round 20, and while he did have 34 against the Bombers a week later and 31 against the Hawks, he could not will his side to victory.

Beveridge said the Bulldogs had closely studied film of their champion midfielder.

“When we do, we see Marcus trying to put out spot fires, trying to help defensively, compete in the air behind the ball, getting to the stoppage, working his butt off, trying to create offensive opportunities. He is working the house down for the team,” Beveridge said on Tuesday.

“I think his effect on the game and his influence is symptomatic of how that whole group is playing together, the chemistry, the cohesion that we established earlier in the year, we haven’t been able to re-establish it as yet. This game is a glaring opportunity for us to get that closer to the mark than it has been. That will help his game, there is no doubt about that, because you spread the load.”

Where the Dogs’ quick hands and run from stoppages had terrorised sides, opponents have been able to shut this down - Beveridge’s men falling from being the league best in average clearance differential from rounds 1-20, to 12th from rounds 21-23.

Tom Liberatore was beaten by Willem Drew last week, while Lloyd added Josh Dunkley “looks lost” and said the pressure was also on Beveridge, for outside of the magical 2016 premiership run, the Dogs had lost three elimination finals under the coach.

Beveridge appears to have grown tired of the constant questioning about the ruck issue, and said it would be a “huge risk” to recall the robust Stef Martin. The former Lion was a key piece in the Bulldogs’ surge earlier this season but has yet to regain full match fitness after a groin injury. He has had only one major training session, and a practice match last weekend with reduced minutes.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say........ I should be excited about heading in to the final series but I'm not. The last 3 weeks have just totally gutted my enthusiasm. Bevo's press conference did nothing to give me hope. I can't bring myself to watch the 'inspirational' video the club has released. Was pretty much 'whatever' when they announced the all Australian squad. Normally I listen to SEN and all the callers and analysis and predictions but I can't even bear to have that on. I haven't been able to even watch or listen to a game since the last quarter of Brisbane the other night. I'm dreading, DREADING, totally and utterly dreading losing to the Bombers, and Stringer starring would just be the truckload of Himalayan salt crystals being forcefully massaged into the fresh bleeding amputation stump. I don't even know if I'll be able to watch it. Might just work in the shed until it's over. Yes I feel like a bad supporter for saying this, but I buy a membership for me and all my kids every year without even thinking, I've been a member since '94 so I am loyal, but right now I feel nothing but dread.
    I'm sorry but I just felt I needed to get it out of my system in some small way.
    Last edited by Dancin' Douggy; 24-08-2021 at 09:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I have to say........ I should be excited about heading in to the final series but I'm not. The last 3 weeks have just totally gutted my enthusiasm. Bevo's press conference did nothing to give me hope. I can't bring myself to watch the 'inspirational' video the club has released. Was pretty much 'whatever' when they announced the all Australian squad. Normally I listen to SEN and all the callers and analysis and predictions but I can't even bear to have that on. I haven't been able to even watch or listen to a game since the last quarter of Brisbane the other night. I'm dreading, DREADING, totally and utterly dreading losing to the Bombers, and Stringer starring would just be the truckload of Himalayan salt crystals in the amputation scar. I don't even know if I'll be able to watch it. Might just work in the shed until it's over. Yes I feel like a bad supporter for saying this, but I buy a membership for me and all my kids every year without even thinking, I've been a member since '94 so I am loyal, but right now I feel nothing but dread.
    I'm sorry but I just felt I needed to get it out of my system in some small way.
    DD I am sure we all feel your pain but our history would suggest that our Club can overcome hurdles as in 1989 and 2016 in one of the more remarkable finals series ever. This year has witnessed the highs in being Ladder leader for 8 games and
    then in the past 3 weeks a capitulation fighting to avoid going out in straight sets for the third year in a row.
    It will take a supreme effort to reverse the trend but let’s not become too despondent, believing the team will show the true Bulldog spirit once again to overcome adversity.

4. Likes Grantysghost, bornadog, merantau, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a secret weapon that wasn't used the last time we played the Bummers and that the Energizer Bunny.

Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

6. Likes bornadog, Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I have to say........ I should be excited about heading in to the final series but I'm not. The last 3 weeks have just totally gutted my enthusiasm. Bevo's press conference did nothing to give me hope. I can't bring myself to watch the 'inspirational' video the club has released. Was pretty much 'whatever' when they announced the all Australian squad. Normally I listen to SEN and all the callers and analysis and predictions but I can't even bear to have that on. I haven't been able to even watch or listen to a game since the last quarter of Brisbane the other night. I'm dreading, DREADING, totally and utterly dreading losing to the Bombers, and Stringer starring would just be the truckload of Himalayan salt crystals being forcefully massaged into the fresh bleeding amputation stump. I don't even know if I'll be able to watch it. Might just work in the shed until it's over. Yes I feel like a bad supporter for saying this, but I buy a membership for me and all my kids every year without even thinking, I've been a member since '94 so I am loyal, but right now I feel nothing but dread.
    Understand completely. Its more likely we're going to get smashed than win the game. Not sure what the bookies are on. Hard drugs? The money is on reputation alone. We have zero momentum vs a team absolutely flying. It won't be pretty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Understand completely. Its more likely we're going to get smashed than win the game. Not sure what the bookies are on. Hard drugs? The money is on reputation alone. We have zero momentum vs a team absolutely flying. It won't be pretty.
    Remember when we flew to Perth to play the form team in the competition in an elimination final then smashed them?

We're going to win this game.
    Last edited by EasternWest; 24-08-2021 at 11:05 PM.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Remember when we flew to Perth to play the form team in the competition in an elimination final then smashed them?

I agree. Anything can happen in the next few weeks. And surely it’s more likely we make a run at the flag than it was in 2016? And we’ve shown better capability this year than in the previous two when we were knocked out of finals early. Heck… in 2019 we were flying into the finals like Essendon are. And then…

It won’t be easy but we should win.

Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd and others are a bit early to pull the trigger on Bont.
    Hope Marcus comes out swinging like the champ he is.
    Never enjoyed watching another player so much.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

You fail to mention that was actually part of a fairy tale.

Mythology has no place here in the realm of the realists!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll just repost a variation of what I posted this morning, almost got through a full day. Incremental uplift is still uplift, I guess.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah you mean that one month in 62 years of footy? That was cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yeah you mean that one month in 62 years of footy? That was cool.
    It really was, wasn't it.

Good times, good times.

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showth...nal+West+coast

For different reasons selection then was just as ridiculous as it is today.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It really was, wasn't it.

Good times, good times.

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showth...nal+West+coast

For different reasons selection then was just as ridiculous as it is today.
    Very good point Jee.

Post Thanks / Like

Why we will win:

We have Bont
    Treloar and Dunks are bound to hit their straps this weekend
    Liberatore hates Essendon and will play a game for the ages to spite them
    Young will enjoy the challenge of playing on Draper and will make him earn it
    Timmy will show 2M that he’s just a small man and kick 8 up front
    Naughts to remind everyone why king Carey said he’s the best forward in the game.
    We have the Bont.
    Weightman due a few sausage rolls
    Daniel and Dale to dominate with their foot skills as they have done repeatedly this year
    Keath v whoever. He will be at his angry PE teacher best
    Williams doesn’t think he should share a nickname with Ben Rutten, and will demand sole ownership of “Truck” by days end
    Hunter after a quiet year has hit peak form. He’s bound to kick straight. And get 30 touches running everywhere
    We have Bont
    Roarke Smith will tag some pathetic excuse for a wingman out of the game and take a few game winning marks in the back half
    Macrae to have 30 plus, and find lace out leading players in the F50 with at least 5 of them
    Bevo creates a narrative that sparks our players, who remember how bloody good they are and why we will win the flag
    JJ to go all “Normie” on Essendon, laughing at the memory of their pitiful offer years back and nail 4 chase down tackles for the ages to go with 2 goals
    We have Bont
    Duryea to do what’s he’s done all year and consistently be in the right place, right time
    Bailey Smith to use his anger and aggression to close down space, and work his backside off on the defensive side of stoppages, making Jake Stringer look slow and hopeless as a midfielder forcing him to retreat to the F50, where Easton Wood plays his best game in 5 years and also makes Jake Stringer look slow and hopeless as a forward, crushing him mentally and ensuring that he plays our his huge contract extension for the Bendigo Bombers (who I’m not sure exist anymore, but you get the point)
    We have Bont
    Cordy to fly knee first into at least 3’opponents who look good early, forcing Essendon to use their sub and be 2 down on the bench all night
    Hannan kicks the opening goal after sitting on someone’s head, setting a tone for redemption
    VDM lays 8 tackles for the game, 4 in the F50 and shows the tenacity that made him a fan favourite for 120 minutes
    We have Bont.

17. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, jeemak, GVGjr, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Lloyd and others are a bit early to pull the trigger on Bont.
    Hope Marcus comes out swinging like the champ he is.
    Never enjoyed watching another player so much.
    I remember a few years ago when people said Bont couldn't handle a tag. We played North and Firitto was sent to rough him up.
    Bont hasn't been targeted the same way physically since.

This game has all the hallmarks of a 'statement' game.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers