Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  214
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2021 AFL Finals Series

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Geelong 90 seconds from the first club to not kick a goal in the second half of a final since Essendon did it vs Western Bulldogs on 29 August 2021.
    and the previous record was held by Geelong
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    A repeat of the 1954 GF would be nice. A comfortable 51 point win that day.
    Geelong and Melbourne have met in a preliminary final once before, in 1954. The Dees won, and they faced the Bulldogs in the Grand Final a week later.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Geelong are like watching the old folk at a nursing home desperately wheeling their Zimmer frames towards the morning tea table to get the last cake, only to see a staff member eat it.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

5. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Ruckman are not important are they ? Gawn kicks 5 , there were moments I thought they were playing him as a midfielder.
    It took Max quite a while to come good. Maybe in 6 years Tim English is the one kicking 5 and dominating a prelim?

(or maybe, 24 hours??!?!?)

7. Likes The bulldog tragician, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    They have crapped the bed so badly you’d have to throw the sheets out. No way you’d wash these out!
    If you did wash them then you'd want to take them to the laundromat. No way you would risk them in the machine at home.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne had May on one leg against a forward line with 2 Coleman medalists in it. Didn’t matter. They dominated the midfield and kicked 101 points from stoppage, the biggest total since 2011.

Their mids including Gawn just mauled the Cats. We need to do something similar tonight.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes 1eyedog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    They have crapped the bed so badly you’d have to throw the sheets out. No way you’d wash these out!
    I had flashbacks to that scene with Spud in Trainspotting.

Post Thanks / Like

My melb mate is very happy right now. He even booked Flexi fares from tassie to Perth after they won the qualifying final. His membership allows him access to GF tickets so is hoping he can get them.
    However, if melb were to beat the dogs in the GF I just couldn’t be happy for him.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Gawn's 3rd quarter was better than every other Geelong player's entire game

Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He was HUGE. I wish we had him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Melbourne had May on one leg against a forward line with 2 Coleman medalists in it. DidnÂ’t matter. They dominated the midfield and kicked 101 points from stoppage, the biggest total since 2011.

Their mids including Gawn just mauled the Cats. We need to do something similar tonight.

Start by saying I'm proud of the dogs efforts despite the horror show to end the season, however; that result gave me real pause around this season.

The cats were 50 points up on the Dees barely a few weeks ago, for them to fall off the hill that dramatically (130 odd points in 6 qtrs) shows the insane challenge of recovering injured players in this contrived scenario.
    I get they're old, but it was more than that.

Their conditioning just disappeared. Injured players, no vfl, non optimal recovery, travel, quite the recipe for disaster.

On the flippity flip (yes I said it) Melbourne looked as primed as ever, didn't have a flat player. Even a guy on one leg looked more explosive than every Geelong player. As much as I enjoyed watching the Cats get hammered, the longer the game went the louder the voice in my head grew that mocks this entire finals series setup.

It's simply not an even playing field.

Considering what we've been through lately I'm really prepared for the possibly we might get two complete non event prelims.

I know our guys will be giving their all of course but preparing players with this recovery lead in after watching last night had alarm bells ringing for me.

I mean Charlie Spargo looked more powerful than Dangerfield! WTAF!

This would certainly eclipse 2016 if we somehow pull off this miracle wouldn't it!

But I've come to the realisation that the only team that can beat Melbourne now... is Melbourne.

17. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To win premiership…

Dees $1.62
    Port $3.20
    Dogs $7.50

It’s Melbourne’s to lose

Post Thanks / Like

The top 8 teams should’ve just flown to Perth and the whole final series should’ve been there.
    The reality of the final series is farcical.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Start by saying I'm proud of the dogs efforts despite the horror show to end the season, however; that result gave me real pause around this season.

The cats were 50 points up on the Dees barely a few weeks ago, for them to fall off the hill that dramatically (130 odd points in 6 qtrs) shows the insane challenge of recovering injured players in this contrived scenario.
    I get they're old, but it was more than that.

Their conditioning just disappeared. Injured players, no vfl, non optimal recovery, travel, quite the recipe for disaster.

On the flippity flip (yes I said it) Melbourne looked as primed as ever, didn't have a flat player. Even a guy on one leg looked more explosive than every Geelong player. As much as I enjoyed watching the Cats get hammered, the longer the game went the louder the voice in my head grew that mocks this entire finals series setup.

It's simply not an even playing field.

Considering what we've been through lately I'm really prepared for the possibly we might get two complete non event prelims.

I know our guys will be giving their all of course but preparing players with this recovery lead in after watching last night had alarm bells ringing for me.

I mean Charlie Spargo looked more powerful than Dangerfield! WTAF!

This would certainly eclipse 2016 if we somehow pull off this miracle wouldn't it!

But I've come to the realisation that the only team that can beat Melbourne now... is Melbourne.
    If we don’t win tonight, the competition better hope Melbourne beat port. Port have had such a legup it’s not even close to fair. Melbourne have had the same challenges except for the injuries. Whilst that gives them an extra legup in this environment, it’s a legit, albeit lucky one. Port however have just had things handed to them above and beyond what would be considered reasonable. And even moreso given what we’ve been through is by far the worst of any of the final 4. Yeah we probably dug that hole ourselves by missing the top 4, but this quarantining and these restrictions we’ve had to follow are beyond unfair. We’ve basically had to prepare with one arm tied behind our back. It’d be an absolute monstrous effort to get up tonight given the un level playing field. Everyone always talks about how if you’re even 5% off, you can get beaten by anyone. Well, Port probably have an advantage that gives them an extra 30% on us! Let’s just hope that pressure gets to them.

It’s amateur stuff from the AFEL. You main event, the finals series, being played like this. Should have been in Perth the whole way but certainly from the prelims.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    The top 8 teams should’ve just flown to Perth and the whole final series should’ve been there.
    The reality of the final series is farcical.
    They needed a break after week one to setup a hub in WA, the ground could probably handle 3 games a w/e there you'd think.