Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  214
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2021 AFL Finals Series

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    If we don’t win tonight, the competition better hope Melbourne beat port. Port have had such a legup it’s not even close to fair. Melbourne have had the same challenges except for the injuries. Whilst that gives them an extra legup in this environment, it’s a legit, albeit lucky one. Port however have just had things handed to them above and beyond what would be considered reasonable. And even moreso given what we’ve been through is by far the worst of any of the final 4. Yeah we probably dug that hole ourselves by missing the top 4, but this quarantining and these restrictions we’ve had to follow are beyond unfair. We’ve basically had to prepare with one arm tied behind our back. It’d be an absolute monstrous effort to get up tonight given the un level playing field. Everyone always talks about how if you’re even 5% off, you can get beaten by anyone. Well, Port probably have an advantage that gives them an extra 30% on us! Let’s just hope that pressure gets to them.

It’s amateur stuff from the AFEL. You main event, the finals series, being played like this. Should have been in Perth the whole way but certainly from the prelims.

Agree Port have had a pretty much normal lead in, should be a huge advantage.

Injuries in this environment are probably 5x normal pain. Mitch Duncan is a jet and he looked like a bad VFL player. Dunkley Treloar etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Start by saying I'm proud of the dogs efforts despite the horror show to end the season, however; that result gave me real pause around this season.

The cats were 50 points up on the Dees barely a few weeks ago, for them to fall off the hill that dramatically (130 odd points in 6 qtrs) shows the insane challenge of recovering injured players in this contrived scenario.
    I get they're old, but it was more than that.

Their conditioning just disappeared. Injured players, no vfl, non optimal recovery, travel, quite the recipe for disaster.

On the flippity flip (yes I said it) Melbourne looked as primed as ever, didn't have a flat player. Even a guy on one leg looked more explosive than every Geelong player. As much as I enjoyed watching the Cats get hammered, the longer the game went the louder the voice in my head grew that mocks this entire finals series setup.

It's simply not an even playing field.

Considering what we've been through lately I'm really prepared for the possibly we might get two complete non event prelims.

I know our guys will be giving their all of course but preparing players with this recovery lead in after watching last night had alarm bells ringing for me.

I mean Charlie Spargo looked more powerful than Dangerfield! WTAF!

This would certainly eclipse 2016 if we somehow pull off this miracle wouldn't it!

But I've come to the realisation that the only team that can beat Melbourne now... is Melbourne.
    Read this and then watched the replay. Not totally disagreeing, but do you think Geelong may have taken the gas off a fair bit? It seemed like it. Also some bad defending. The Cameron collision was comical. I reckon they got a bit ahead of themselves.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Read this and then watched the replay. Not totally disagreeing, but do you think Geelong may have taken the gas off a fair bit? It seemed like it. Also some bad defending. The Cameron collision was comical. I reckon they got a bit ahead of themselves.
    Melbourne are super fit, they've managed their conditioning magnificently and I think this season that element of the teams management has become 5 x more important due to the lack of VFL and other restrictions.
    There's a bit of luck involved of course as they "may" find out (sorry) so I think the Cats with their injuries and age profile (self inflicted wound) were at a super disadvantage in this form of a finals season.

Melbourne are better but I was amazed at the intensity level difference to a player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    The top 8 teams should’ve just flown to Perth and the whole final series should’ve been there.
    The reality of the final series is farcical.
    Seriously that is the most common sense approach I have heard. Given the Covid situation around Australia it would have made the most sense and provided a level playing field. The only team that would have been disadvantaged would have been Port.

If we get up tonight it will be a huge effort

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone else reckon that Dangerfield has lost half a yard of pace? Wasn't dangerous at all, looked very average.

And congrats to Cameron and Rohan for yet another consistent finals performance.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Melbourne are super fit, they've managed their conditioning magnificently and I think this season that element of the teams management has become 5 x more important due to the lack of VFL and other restrictions.
    There's a bit of luck involved of course as they "may" find out (sorry) so I think the Cats with their injuries and age profile (self inflicted wound) were at a super disadvantage in this form of a finals season.

Melbourne are better but I was amazed at the intensity level difference to a player.
    I like the way Melbourne move the ball from the backline to forward, they really have some pace there.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I like the way Melbourne move the ball from the backline to forward, they really have some pace there.
    It's very Richmond like isn't it. They concede one at the stoppage at times to take the +1 in defence to free up Lever. Then rebound like crazy.
    They're Richmond with skills! Quite impressive. They always had the talent now they've got those guys in their prime (May, Lever, Petracca, Gawn, Oliver) and hit the jackpot at the draft with Jackson and Pickett after their 2018 rise.
    Theyve got the foundations for a sustained period of success.
    Yze coming across has been a major catalyst I think their gameplan is repeatable and less taxing than most.
    Think about the Tigers lack of injuries it can't be a coincidence?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Does anyone else reckon that Dangerfield has lost half a yard of pace? Wasn't dangerous at all, looked very average.

And congrats to Cameron and Rohan for yet another consistent finals performance.
    To be fair to Dangerfield he spent all week in an iron lung trying to overcome a devastating jarred finger.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Likes Sedat, bornadog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Things I trust more than Gary Rohan in a final.

- Mexican tap water
    - a fart when you have gastro
    - Petrol station sushi
    - Emails from Nigerian princesses
    - Ivermectin
    - A drink from Bill Cosby
    - bigfoot sightings
    - Gladys freedom plan
    - Dan Andrews 5 day lockdowns
    - a Donald Trump speech.
    - Michael Jackson with my kids
    - Nadia Bartel with my bag
    - Wayne Carey with my missus
    Great to hear Cameron Ling saying you can’t trust Rohan and has got to the point he can’t be selected to play finals again.

Beautiful.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Herald Sun has reported Rohan will be given a one-year contract extension at the Cats, despite his quiet finals performance.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/09/...tional-change/

Excellent
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post