Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  43
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo's biggest challenge

This is without a doubt Bevo's biggest challenge in his time as our senior coach.

How or why we have gone from holding down top spot, and premiership favourites to a team devoid of confidence and looking shot and now having to front up to a do or die EF in the space of 3 games has been openly debated, but the cold reality is that that's the position we are in.

He needs to pull the necessary levers at the selection table, or if that's not he's go, he needs to ensure the players selected are all singing the same tune because we simply cannot be carrying players like we have over the past 2-3 weeks. Our one wood is our midfield and we simply need a more rounded performance from those guys, but we need each player playing their role and not making the task of winning harder by their poor performances.

Over to you Luke.

#inbevowetrust

2. Thanks GVGjr, SonofScray thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bevo's biggest challenge

Sometimes harsh words need to be spoken to those who you think will respond to them. Does Bevo do that? I don't know.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly is a huge week for Bevo as a coach.

The last two weeks we've been comprehensively beaten in most statistical areas of the game, and we aren't getting the ball inside 50. How much of this is players and how much of this is coaching and strategy related? - I'm not sure. I'd say he was comprehensively out-planned v Hawthorn - who came with a clear strategy to remove our handball link up options and make us kick to them behind the ball. Vs Port our midfield got beaten up, so on the balance of things, I'd say that despite our glaring ruck issue, Bevo didn't get what he needed from his players.

It will be critical how we address Essendon's ball movement.

The centre clearances is one thing - lose that badly and we are toast - but putting that aside, if Essendon are moving the ball quickly against us in general play also, then its a long afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

He's highly regarded for the way he can embrace players and make them feel like they're at their home away from home.
    We have also seen the other side of him that can't wait to get rid of players.
    The unknown is if can deliver a harsh message and get positive results. I'd assume he is more than capable of it but perhaps it's not a strong point.

The selection table is where I think he and the other coaches let themselves down. Too often we select players based on their reputation and we now don't have that luxury.
    If we pick players mainly based on form I suspect it will get us a better result.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can we make the call on Easton Wood? That will say a lot.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Can we make the call on Easton Wood? That will say a lot.
    I doubt it but he based on his effort on Friday it would be a risk for him to be an automatic selection.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I doubt it but he based on his effort on Friday it would be a risk for him to be an automatic selection.
    If Wood plays it says plenty about Bevo and our mindset going into the game.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it is Bevo's biggest challenge ever, but certainly is his biggest challenge this year after dropping off in the last few weeks.

As GVGjr said, his biggest challenge is the selection table. He would love to have access to Gardner, but it is a risk. Wood is out of form, and Cordy just hanging in.

Does he pick Martin who also hasn't played for awhile, but his role is where we are weak, so do you bring him in? What do you do with Young after filling in on the weekend - keep him for assurance?

What do you do up forward? Is JUH an x factor? Does the vice captain have a role?

In the midfield, do you banish Smith to the wing and use Dunkley and Treloar more?

It is a big week for Bevo and the MC.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes GVGjr, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    This is without a doubt Bevo's biggest challenge in his time as our senior coach.

How or why we have gone from holding down top spot, and premiership favourites to a team devoid of confidence and looking shot and now having to front up to a do or die EF in the space of 3 games has been openly debated, but the cold reality is that that's the position we are in.

He needs to pull the necessary levers at the selection table, or if that's not he's go, he needs to ensure the players selected are all singing the same tune because we simply cannot be carrying players like we have over the past 2-3 weeks. Our one wood is our midfield and we simply need a more rounded performance from those guys, but we need each player playing their role and not making the task of winning harder by their poor performances.

Over to you Luke.

#inbevowetrust
    What if he doesn't or can't and the same thing happens against Essendon? Internal review? It's one thing to have under-performing players on your list for whatever reason but it's quite another to keep selecting them.

14. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    What if he doesn't or can't and the same thing happens against Essendon? Internal review? It's one thing to have under-performing players on your list for whatever reason but it's quite another to keep selecting them.
    Of course hard questions need to be asked on why the drop off has occurred. Injuries haven't helped the situation, but it's been a cluster-*!*!*!*! on so many levels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    What if there are little choice but to select them anyway?

We have used 41 players this year, so they have had their chances to prove themselves.

VFL not playing hasn't helped either.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Of course hard questions need to be asked on why the drop off has occurred. Injuries haven't helped the situation, but it's been a cluster-*!*!*!*! on so many levels.
    Is there something more to the injuries during Covid times?

From what I've seen all of our guys have struggled to return from injury, almost to a man. It's amazing really I've not seen it before to this extent.

So I can only think that being injured for an extended period during lock-down must be really tough. There is a psychological component to recovery and I assume this is the part that is being disrupted in isolation.

That coupled with the lack of VFL and I think we probably don't have to look too much further to find the main source of our decline.

I still think we need fresh voices at the coaching table, and as others have said the selection lotto is tiresome but we have to look at this apparent inability to find form after injury as something unique to our current social situation in my opinion.

If Bevo can get us up playing somewhere near our best for this it will be fantastic. Have to say though, he looks so flat; I just watched the Bevo's brief and crikey it made me feel worse he was so drained.

Hopefully the nice weather gives us all the Vitamin D we need to knock off the kings of supplements.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 23-08-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Is there something more to the injuries during Covid times?

From what I've seen all of our guys have struggled to return from injury, almost to a man. It's amazing really I've not seen it before to this extent.

So I can only think that being injured for an extended period during lock-down must be really tough. There is a psychological component to recovery and I assume this is the part the is being disrupted is isolation.

That coupled with the lack of VFL and I think we probably don't have to look too much further to find the main source of our decline.

I still think we need fresh voices at the coaching table, and as others have said the selection lotto is tiresome but we have to look at this apparent inability to find form after injury as something unique to our current social situation in my opinion.

If Bevo can get us up playing somewhere near our best for this it will be fantastic. Have to say though, he looks so flat; I just watched the Bevo's brief and crikey it made me feel worse he was so drained.

Hopefully the nice weather gives us all the Vitamin D we need to knock off the kings of supplements.
    Feels like Bevo has been flat for months and it’s permeated through.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Feels like Bevo has been flat for months and it’s permeated through.
    Maybe for a couple of weeks, but not sure “for months” is accurate.

Time for all of our leaders to step up. A big test for Bevo, yes. But a big test for plenty of players who need to earn / enhance their reputations with a big finals performance after a disappointing couple of first round exits in prior years.

Selection is a part of it, but energy / mindset critical too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Maybe for a couple of weeks, but not sure “for months” is accurate.

Time for all of our leaders to step up. A big test for Bevo, yes. But a big test for plenty of players who need to earn / enhance their reputations with a big finals performance after a disappointing couple of first round exits in prior years.

Selection is a part of it, but energy / mindset critical too.
    He’s been testy at pressers and regularly complained about soft cuts and the extra workload through out the year, much more than other coaches. It’s gotten worse the last month though, for sure. Whether that’s in response to our performances or a factor influencing them, who knows?