Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flea ready for finals fever

link

Livewire forward Cody Weightman can’t wait for his first taste of finals footy.

The 20-year-old will get that opportunity on Sunday afternoon, as the Western Bulldogs take on Essendon in an elimination final at UTAS Stadum in Launceston.

Weightman has become an important member of the Bulldogs’ forward line in only his second season at AFL level.

He has kicked 21 goals in his 13 AFL games in 2021, after breaking into the side in round nine.

“I’m super excited. It’ll be my first final and I can’t wait to see what finals football is like,” Weightman said.

“The boys have been really good at splitting up the disappointment of the last couple weeks, moving on straight away and building a new energy.

“It’s a different year in a way, finals.

“Strange things have happened in our past in our club’s history and we’re excited and looking forward to the opportunity we’ve got ahead of us.”

Weightman has endured a strange opening to his AFL career.

His first year was spent largely in the Gold Coast hub and his second has again been impacted by Covid changes, largely playing in front of no fans or limited fans.

Despite not being able to play at Marvel Stadium in front of a full house of Bulldogs supporters this week, Weightman is pumped to be running out at a sold out UTAS Stadium.

“We got a little taste test of Launceston against the Hawks – it was great to play in front of fans and hopefully we’ll get even more Dogs fans this time,” Weightman said.

“We’ve got such a great supporter base and particularly in times like these, we play for them.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, DOG GOD, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flea ready for finals fever

We need some snags Flea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    We need some snags Flea.
    Didn't play last time against Bombres, and we did miss him

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope he kicks one or two and gives Stringer an earful. Would be fun to watch.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Went down media street and then backed it up. Actions > Words.

Awesome first final Flea.

7. Likes azabob, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Went down media street and then backed it up. Actions > Words.

Awesome first final Flea.
    He was terrific. Best final debut I've seen from a bulldog player. One of the best I've seen full stop.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

10. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Josh Bruce went on Cody’s Instagram to give the trolls a metaphorical black eye. Absolutely loved to see it.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

If there’s a kid on our list that can handle some haters, it’s Cody I reckon. The guy is a ray of sunshine in human form.

Watch his reaction to Vanders laying the big HtB tackle in the last, absolutely frothing for his teammate.

A Dogs champ in the making.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If there’s a kid on our list that can handle some haters, it’s Cody I reckon. The guy is a ray of sunshine in human form.

Watch his reaction to Vanders laying the big HtB tackle in the last, absolutely frothing for his teammate.

A Dogs champ in the making.
    Or when Naughts marked at the top of the goal square when the game was as good as dead. He just loves life and playing footy. A bunch of flogs online isn’t going to make a big dent, I absolutely agree.

The practical over correction by umpires is the only concern I have.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Or when Naughts marked at the top of the goal square when the game was as good as dead. He just loves life and playing footy. A bunch of flogs online isn’t going to make a big dent, I absolutely agree.

The practical over correction by umpires is the only concern I have.
    The over correction will happen from the umpires but I can also see defenders crap themselves a bit when he’s near the ball, not knowing if he’ll draw one or not so hesitating or giving him some extra room.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That's one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The over correction will happen from the umpires but I can also see defenders crap themselves a bit when he’s near the ball, not knowing if he’ll draw one or not so hesitating or giving him some extra room.
    He’s going to be a handful either way. At the GABBA with great conditions Pagans Paddock could be on and leading may not have too much umpire impact. But that first quarter vs North shows he has different ways to skin oppositions. How lucky we are to have got him!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    He’s going to be a handful either way. At the GABBA with great conditions Pagans Paddock could be on and leading may not have too much umpire impact. But that first quarter vs North shows he has different ways to skin oppositions. How lucky we are to have got him!
    He's just what we needed in the forward line. His strength over head, anticipation, kicking accuracy and love of team are a great skillset for us. He will learn to get front and centre to contests involving English, Naughton, Shaq and Bruce as his career progresses too because he's a smart footballer.

Post Thanks / Like

He has had nominations for Goal of the year, (Port over his head to seal the game), Mark of the year, on top of Gawn and a rising star nomination.

He is exciting to watch.