Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  75
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned finals week one 2021 v Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I feel there’s a story here. Do tell.
    Oh it's just me venting TBH, I shouldn't get this worked up over idiots on the internet. I don't post there, I just lurk and I have a joke going with a colleague who's also a Doggies supporter about how it's 98% garbage and 2% deeply insightful and incisive football commentary - the problem being avoiding the 98%!

Anyway I made the mistake of reading the game day thread on their main board and the hate for Cody was disgusting. The Essendon fans I could understand but then Swans and Dees supporters started piling in. Then it faded into reprosecuting the 2016 Grand Final "apology" again and it just left a bad taste in the mouth. Extra annoying given I have a soft spot for both Sydney (being from there originally) and Melbourne (Melbourne family are huge Dees supporters).

I am heartily sick of football "fans" who can't figure out that frees are a) not balanced by design and b) an intrinsic part of a very dynamic and complex game. Denigrating Weightman's performance alongside the Dogs' 2016 Grand Final performance makes me think these people don't deserve to be fans of such a magnificent game.

2. Thanks bulldogtragic, Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cody still had to kick them all, including from deep in a pocket, which is skilful. Dermott Brereton said all the frees were there. It’s easier blame others for your own shortcomings, than acknowledge reality.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes Boots, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The jealousy warms my heart. If opposition fans are sooking about us then we’re doing something right. Any team that’s a threat gets attacked for one reason or another. I’d rather opposition fans hate us than be indifferent.

6. Likes Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    The jealousy warms my heart. If opposition fans are sooking about us then we’re doing something right. Any team that’s a threat gets attacked for one reason or another. I’d rather opposition fans hate us than be indifferent.
    Yep. Give me vitriol over ‘Bulldogs are my second team’ every day of the week.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes The bulldog tragician, Boots, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didnt learn this but it was confirmed that I hate Essendon.

10. Likes bornadog, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I didnt learn this but it was confirmed that I hate Essendon.
    The only silver lining to the preceding 3 weeks is the fact we took the opportunity to extend Essendon’s finals curse. The biggest shame is we weren’t all there to see those losers streaming out of the ground about half way through the last.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Likes DOG GOD, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. It took long enough, but last quarter Dunkley was the old Dunkley. He can get back to his best.

2. Lachie Hunter can show real toughness. Took hits and gutsy marks, to back up his 'running with the flight of the ball' effort a few weeks back. Back to VC in 2022

3. If you were to completely ignore his forward craft, you would be praising Cody Weightman's efforts between the arcs. His first quarter smother got us going, and he took at least two good marks under pressure through the middle of the ground. Dare I say it - he's becoming the full package?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

14. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Weightman brings the energy which really lifts those around him. Especially Naughton and Hannan.
    2. When our mids have a defensive mindset and a willingness to chase, smother, block, tackle, then yeah, we do have the best mids in the AFL
    3. Fingers crossed that Treloar and Dunks are almost back to their best. We need them at 100% committed next week
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    3. Fingers crossed that Treloar and Dunks are almost back to their best. We need them at 100% committed next week
    They both started to get a bit more of the ball as the game wore on, particularly Treloar. Think he ended up with 25+ possessions - mainly when the game started to become more open.

17. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Cody Weightman is super fit for a young fella

2. It doesn't have to be a full game trend when we don't put our best foot forward early, in a big game/ finals. We can get our acts together, as long as we hang in there

3. Crashing a party is fun
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What did everyone else think of Treloar's second half? I thought he willed himself into the game based on his work rate alone.

21. Likes EasternWest, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Huge. It felt like it might have been the switch being flicked on regaining touch. In the rain and pressure of the second half his numbers were brilliant off the back of gut running:

18 Disposals, 3 Intercept, 2 Marks, 5 Tackles (3 x I50), 1 Clearance, 4 x I50, 1 x R50, 1 GA, Running Shot through 50 for the first time since back, no CBA (ie outside role)

I hope both he and Dunkley have turned the corner with games now.

23. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope both he and Dunkley have turned the corner with games now.
    The preceding 3 weeks have burnt me so badly that I’ll need more than a half before believing again but IF they have turned a corner, look out!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

25. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    1. It took long enough, but last quarter Dunkley was the old Dunkley. He can get back to his best.

2. Lachie Hunter can show real toughness. Took hits and gutsy marks, to back up his 'running with the flight of the ball' effort a few weeks back. Back to VC in 2022

3. If you were to completely ignore his forward craft, you would be praising Cody Weightman's efforts between the arcs. His first quarter smother got us going, and he took at least two good marks under pressure through the middle of the ground. Dare I say it - he's becoming the full package?

I see what you did there.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Cody still had to kick them all, including from deep in a pocket, which is skilful. Dermott Brereton said all the frees were there. It’s easier blame others for your own shortcomings, than acknowledge reality.
    Exactly. Well said BT.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.