Thanks Thanks:  52
Likes Likes:  425
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brisbane Lions V Western Bulldogs - 1st Semi Final

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Talk is the game will be played at 4.45pm... going to be a long day of sitting around waiting, but this is the world we're living in.
    I wonder how early we are allowed to arrive? If we could get there late morning or midday it might not be too bad.

3PM would not be close to fair.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brisbane Lions V Western Bulldogs - 2021 1st Semi Final

So we can’t even get a Perth setup where we can stroll around a resort type accommodation?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I wonder how early we are allowed to arrive? If we could get there late morning or midday it might not be too bad.

3PM would not be close to fair.
    I think I read somewhere (and also heard Bevo say it) that we've got to fly to Brisbane on Friday....and be cooped up within the hotel til game time. There was at this stage not even gym access.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I think I read somewhere (and also heard Bevo say it) that we've got to fly to Brisbane on Friday....and be cooped up within the hotel til game time. There was at this stage not even gym access.
    Bullshit. This stuff comprises any notion of a fair fight. So boys, smash them in spite of the shit they are putting you through.

We’ve won in WA, SA, QLD, ACT & TAS with various restrictions. So just another one.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    That's right, he talks about it in the post game press conference. Said they had requested the game be played earlier as they weren't allowed to leave the hotel complex. Later he mentioned rooms so not sure which it is tbh but it sounds pretty restrictive for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Just shows how costly our 3 week capitulation was. A single win in that period and we would have avoided any of these issues. In fact, we would have played a cooked Geelong in week 1 with no Stewart and an injured Danger...
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

8. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Just shows how costly our 3 week capitulation was. A single win in that period and we would have avoided any of these issues. In fact, we would have played a cooked Geelong in week 1 with no Stewart and an injured Danger...
    That's true but if we turned up with the junk we provided in those 3 weeks, we lose that final and in a semi anyway. Those 3 weeks weren't a random mishap or whatever, we deserve the consequences. But we also have the redemption. We can't be too obsessed with the deficit. We were great over 20 weeks, terrible over 3 clutch weeks and then won a final. One positive is we didn't let the capitulation to the finals, which teams do.

10. Likes jeemak, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Much rather be resting up for a prelim at a neutral venue, don't get me wrong. But we are oddly clearly better away this year. I am far more concerned about conditions of quarantine than having to play away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Much rather be resting up for a prelim at a neutral venue, don't get me wrong. But we are oddly clearly better away this year. I am far more concerned about conditions of quarantine than having to play away.
    Only concern on the venue is that it is a fairly unique size in terms of dimensions.

It’s a centre bounce ground so we need to be on our game from that perspective. Their ball movement is also a concern on such a small ground, the ball can really hum through the corridor and we need to make sure we defend well as a team. Our team is defending turnover really well but any team is susceptible if it moves quickly on a smaller deck.

Post Thanks / Like

These are not excuses but more circumstances:

*The Essendon loss was our own doing with bad misses and not taking our opportunities.

* The Hawks game was our worse this year, with some fun and games getting in and out of Launceston and effecting preparation - Hawks did it well

* The Port game we had to isolate for the week, while Port only had to for 72 hours - 10 min to go we were 15 up, so our fault for losing.

Yes we had a slight slump, and now we have the opportunity to get to the prelim.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Talk is the game will be played at 4.45pm... going to be a long day of sitting around waiting, but this is the world we're living in.
    What's the earliest time before game time we can get to the ground? I can't find anything in the rules about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the club is strongly protesting this.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I hope the club is strongly protesting this.
    Well, the alternative is probably 7:30pm night match isn't it? That's what the Semi final has been for the past 20 years. So, it isn't great, but it's better than the alternative (I guess....?).

Twilight matches at the Gabba suck a bit though. The sun is unbearable to one end for the first quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Only concern on the venue is that it is a fairly unique size in terms of dimensions.

It’s a centre bounce ground so we need to be on our game from that perspective. Their ball movement is also a concern on such a small ground, the ball can really hum through the corridor and we need to make sure we defend well as a team. Our team is defending turnover really well but any team is susceptible if it moves quickly on a smaller deck.
    Yep, that's true. Lions are much better there than anywhere too.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, that's true. Lions are much better there than anywhere too.
    Yeah, they can get a run on at the Gabba, and they seem to play on emotion a lot.

It's a genuine home ground advantage and surely worth 3-4 goals but... that said... I don't see to many positions they beat us at. Maybe ruck....