Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hybrids

Post Thanks / Like

The Hybrids

Lewis Young, Josh Schache, Tim English

None as yet absolutely proven as KPFs, KPDs or First Rucks. But they’re big guys (200cm+ on afel data) with serious attributes. Aged 24 or younger and average 50 games across them.

But in a cut throat final they combined for 36 Disposals (18 Contested), 6 Intercepts, 6 Clearances, 33 Hit Outs (102 Ruck Contested), 8 Marks, 5 Tackles, 2 Goals, 1 Behind (Poster), 2 Goal Assists, 9 Score Involvements, 14 One Percenters, 5 I50’s, 2 R50’s.

In the first quarter, English was great around the ground, while Schache pushed into defence as a chop up under the pressure we were under.

Can ‘The Hybrids’ keep it going? Do we take them to face McInerney, Adams etc? I’m not prepared to gamble on Stef. But although Draper isn’t McInerney, there’s a flexibility with the guys able to play multiple roles and impact around the ground while providing a target up forward and draw some heat away from Naughton. I liked The Hybrids today, and stick with them.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 30-08-2021 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Updated the GA
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Hybrids

I’ve said in a few different threads The Trio worked well today.

I don’t see why it can’t continue.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep.

Lew is doing a great job. Timmy and Schache both contributed important moments today.

JUH coming in next year may mean this isn’t a long experiment, but I think it’s a good look for us. Plenty of flexibility too - all can play at least 2 positions. Maybe it is the way forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post and agreed.

I also don't think that we have any choice.

Martin is clearly best 22 when fit, but he also seems clearly not fit enough (from what Bevo said in the post-match press conference today [unless he's setting everyone up]).

Yorkshire set the tone early, and he and Young were noticeably more physical (though Young also brought a fair bit of that last week). And Schache was low-key great.

I thought that Beveridge had jumped the shark bringing another tall into a wet weather game, but Schache rewarded his faith. While I still prefer him down back, he could also play in that swing role.

Any Dogs set shot for goal gives me some anxiety (among other things), but I get the closest I've been to serenity when it's Schache lining them up. He made the most of his opportunities today, and that efficiency is so valuable, because he's unlikely to ever get the kind of volume-based opportunities that a Naughton gets (and earns).
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine if Naughton replicated Schache set shot routine. He’d kick 80-100 a year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Imagine if Naughton replicated Schache set shot routine. He’d kick 80-100 a year.
    3-0 today. Let's hope he keeps it up in the rest of the finals
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s pretty much the same outcome structurally as what bringing BDSM in would have done, but just a different perspective. Was pleased to see it.

Looked a bit suspect early, but Lewis is battling really manfully.

Post Thanks / Like

Just read some of Bevo’s comments. Really liked Young’s game and Martin is still too sore to be considered.

The Hybrids continue on.

Post Thanks / Like

Tonight:

English: 13 Disposals, 1 Mark, 7 Tackles, 1 Intercept, 4 Score Involvements, 209m Gained, 4 Clearances, 22 Hit Outs, 4 I50, 3 R50, 5 1%

Schache: 11 Disposals, 4 Marks, 1 I50, 1 Goal, 4 Score Involvements, 2 Intercepts, 1% 1 Shepherd on the goal line, 102m Gained

Young: 4 Disposals, 1 Marks, 5 Tackles, 2 Intercepts, 1 Score Involvement, 10 Hit Outs, 2 Clearances, 6 1%

The Hybrids Totals: 28 Disposals, 6 Marks, 12 Tackles, 4 Intercepts, 1 Goal, 9 Score Involvements, 311m Gained, 6 Clearances, 32 Hit Outs, 5 I50, 3 R50, 11 1% inc. shepherd a goal on the goal line

Had better ruck and defenders tonight, compared to last week. Young struggled the most, but gives 100% of the role being asked. Port in R23 didn’t have Schache in the mix. Hopefully that accounts for at least 3 points net ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

EF:

The Hybrid Totals: In a cut throat final they combined for 36 Disposals (18 Contested), 6 Intercepts, 6 Clearances, 33 Hit Outs (102 Ruck Contested), 8 Marks, 5 Tackles, 2 Goals, 1 Behind (Poster), 2 Goal Assists, 9 Score Involvements, 14 One Percenters, 5 I50’s, 2 R50’s.

SF:

The Hybrids Totals: In another cut throat Final they combined for 28 Disposals (13 Contested), 4 Intercepts, 6 Clearances, 32 Hit Outs (103 Ruck Contests), 6 Marks, 12 Tackles, 1 Goal, 9 Score Involvements, 11 1% inc. shepherd a goal on the goal line, 5 I50’s, 3 R50’s, 311m Gained

Surprisingly very similar statistical output in both games, despite Draper vs McInerney.

Post Thanks / Like

Liked the look Timmy gave in the centre square and thought Lew did well halving it around the ground in the second half.

14. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Liked the look Timmy gave in the centre square and thought Lew did well halving it around the ground in the second half.
    Looking at Port, The Hybrids seem to give us coverage to go with two KPDs as we did in R9 & R23. Young & Schache can provide extra height if needed. While still giving us a ruck contest and one or two taller targets next to Naughton. Certainly gives Bevo options in the game.

Lycett will still beat up whomever when he’s rucking. But if we can get enough from The Hybrids, we will have other strengths going for us.

16. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Young needs to do a lot better, but I would persist
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree - Hybrids working. No change.

Post Thanks / Like

After tonight's Final against Brisbance, I hope Young and English know they can start influencing games now.

McInery smashed them early in the ruck tonight, especially the first quarter, but in the last he was tired and the boys started to even the contest. They need to know that they can work in tandem to beat opposition ruckmen.

Age, Height Weight
    Young 22 201 cm 100 kg
    Schache 24 201 cm 94 kg
    English 24 207 cm 103kg
    Martin 34 198cm 99kg

If we can pull of the 3 part time hybrid ruck scenario next seasons, its going to be really hard to matchup. There is so much more development in these 3 young players . Schache needs to get to 100 kg to match the bigger bodies, and Young looks like he could carry more muscle. There are strengths in each of these players , and fortunately marking is one of them. All decent kicks . They just need to learn to maneuver when there is a body to body contact, and positioning for hit outs.

English is still learning the forward craft and his leading patterns are very tentative and does not demand the ball like Naughton.

Can we bring back the beard to teach ruck craft and stoppage work ?

Who is the ruck coach at the moment ?