Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned finals week two 2021 v Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Good post.

Cameron's goals were very good, especially the running one - nothing Wood could do. Having said that, Duryea was phenomenal on Cameron in the second half. Wood was very good in general too.

Agree on Young - his stats don't make for good reading, not sure how much ground he is covering as that appears to be very important to the MC. I really think I'd prefer to see us play Martin or Sweet though, Young just isn't a ruck and it's not like he does a lot around the ground.
    I think it is fine to point out where Young struggles but we do not have much alternative. Young would beat Sweet in the ruck in my view and is having an impact around the ground. If we played Sweet he would need to ruck 90% of the game because despite improving late in vfl season he can’t play forward. That’s a big gamble on someone with little success as an AFL ruck.

Martin isn’t an option.

It definitely is worth considering Sweet if we think he would nullify Lycett better than Young but I’m not sure he would. Complicated by the fact we need English forward this week. Another complication with Sweet is that you couldn’t take him and Young both in.

2. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    1. Bazlenka is just a conundrum to embrace. Makes some bizarre decisions and will have some moments that are enormously frustrating - but is so talented and is so tough and powerful and willing that he will help us win a lot of games.

2. We can't win a premiership with Young in the ruck. Respect it more - because opposition will just treat us with contempt in there. English is the ruckman if there is a refusal to play Sweet or Martin.

3 The backline is flying. They couldn't do much more. I'm not sure if ppl were bagging Wood in the game day thread, assume they were - but none of the goals you could much about - we were the better side in most areas of the game with the exception of centre clearance first half. Really good performance.
    Charlie Cameron kicked those three first quarter goals because he's insanely talented. It's what he does.

His reduced influence later on can be more attributed to Duryea doing an insanely good job on him more so than Wood making mistakes early on.

4. Likes Testekill, Max469, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I think it is fine to point out where Young struggles but we do not have much alternative. Young would beat Sweet in the ruck in my view and is having an impact around the ground. If we played Sweet he would need to ruck 90% of the game because despite improving late in vfl season he can’t play forward. That’s a big gamble on someone with little success as an AFL ruck.

Martin isn’t an option.

It definitely is worth considering Sweet if we think he would nullify Lycett better than Young but I’m not sure he would. Complicated by the fact we need English forward this week. Another complication with Sweet is that you couldn’t take him and Young both in.
    Young's TOG was 50% if I read correctly. Young can't really play forward either, granted he could go back. Surely Sweet can play 50% TOG and give us better ruck coverage? He even did it earlier in the year v Port in Adelaide.

If Young was really contributing around the ground it might be different, but he's not.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Young's TOG was 50% if I read correctly. Young can't really play forward either, granted he could go back. Surely Sweet can play 50% TOG and give us better ruck coverage? He even did it earlier in the year v Port in Adelaide.

If Young was really contributing around the ground it might be different, but he's not.
    I thought Young was ok forward? He’s a good mark, decent kick and I am pretty sure he even kicked 4 or 5 in a preseason game. Small sample, I know, but I would have thought he would be ahead of Sweet up forward.

He never looked comfortable against Oscar, but I have to say that I have thought his efforts in the ruck in recent weeks (especially around the ground) have been ok. I think get English in for centre bounces at all times, then he can roll forward.

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It isnt just stats, Young was getting a hand in behind the footy as well. Can play all 3 lines and have an impact.

I’m not saying don’t play Sweet just that if you do he has to ruck most of the game and if it goes pear shaped we have no wriggle room. The fact that it is Port and we need English forward takes away some flexibility.

On a related note we have flogged Brisbane at clearance despite losing hit outs again so maybe a Sweet/Young combo could work if Sweet could match what English did? That would leave Schache without a spot though.

9. Likes GVGjr, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    It isnt just stats, Young was getting a hand in behind the footy as well. Can play all 3 lines and have an impact.

I’m not saying don’t play Sweet just that if you do he has to ruck most of the game and if it goes pear shaped we have no wriggle room. The fact that it is Port and we need English forward takes away some flexibility.

On a related note we have flogged Brisbane at clearance despite losing hit outs again so maybe a Sweet/Young combo could work if Sweet could match what English did? That would leave Schache without a spot though.
    Absolutely no way Sweet plays in a Prelim. He is too inexperienced and not good enough at this stage of his career. We have no choice, it is English and Young and they have to play the game of their lives.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    1.Baz is so worthy of the number 6. He has a go about him like Brad when played forward.
    2. Doc has some serious speed.
    3. I did not know if they ball comes off the side of the boot, it can be called deliberate.
    That wasn't even the worst deliberate call I have seen this year...Zurhaar had a shot for goal, miskicked it and was pinged.

1. Confirmed - Lions out in straight sets because their on ballers (McCluggage, Lyon, Zorko, Neale et al) and attacking defenders (eg Rich) pay too little attention to their opponents and go kick chasing, and it burns them against the elite teams. Case in point...McCluggage rolls the dice late and is drawn into the stoppage looking for a handball receive, leaving about 1 metre between him and his opponent Bailey Smith, and is still trailing Smith by that same distance as he kicks the goal to put us in front. Downhill skiers.

2. Learnt - a goal can be overturned due to an optical illusion. With Bont's shot for goal the spin on the ball does not change at all as the ball apparently changes direction (according to the video review) - that goes against the laws of physics.

The ball may well have brushed against the fingers of the Lions' defender (the available vision did not show any fingers being bent back as is normally the case when it is touched), but it was no where near conclusive enough to overturn the goal.

3. Doc onto Charlie Cameron was a masterstroke. Charlie was on fire early and looked like the match winner, but went goalless once Doc was moved onto him. And that critical last contest showed how much heart the Doc has. Thanks for the gift Hawthorn and Clarkson.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Absolutely no way Sweet plays in a Prelim. He is too inexperienced and not good enough at this stage of his career. We have no choice, it is English and Young and they have to play the game of their lives.
    I agree just trying to work through the live options for those continuously calling for ruck changes. The options are very limited at this point.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1.Bailey Smith is a much better finals player than Walsh.

2. Libba is more dangerous inside 50 than I thought.

3. Doc is a vital player but with only few seasons left. Who replaces him?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    1. Bazlenka is just a conundrum to embrace. Makes some bizarre decisions and will have some moments that are enormously frustrating - but is so talented and is so tough and powerful and willing that he will help us win a lot of games.

2. We can't win a premiership with Young in the ruck. Respect it more - because opposition will just treat us with contempt in there. English is the ruckman if there is a refusal to play Sweet or Martin.

3 The backline is flying. They couldn't do much more. I'm not sure if ppl were bagging Wood in the game day thread, assume they were - but none of the goals you could much about - we were the better side in most areas of the game with the exception of centre clearance first half. Really good performance.
    Woody is a heart and soul player. Very humble, a leader and while not the star he once was, is still in our best 22.

Post Thanks / Like

1. We've been cut up through the middle and failed to move the ball well ourselves on transition two weeks in a row
    2. thank god the injury rumours on Caleb Daniel were innacurate
    3. If Gardiners hit on Francis was a fine, then surely Adams hit on Weightman is a week considering the impact to the player
    The dam wall has busted!