Thanks Thanks:  60
Likes Likes:  365
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Finals Week 3

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If Richards comes in, his best position is HBF, but who does he displace there?
    I just love his clean handling, dash & marking ability - in the few games he had this year I thought his marking looked really good. Read today somewhere he might still recovering from a shoulder injury so doubt he will be selected. And yeah - we have a settled defence so doubt he comes in even. Bevo does creative moves though - could he move Daniel forward & squeeze Richards in? Perhaps we’d lose too much with Daniel’s clever disposal in back half (some of those kicks outs on Saturday were sublime), but then again Richards is taller.

Another thought I had was that Rourke is a solid mark & seemingly decent set shot goal kick - albeit I’m judging the latter from somewhat limited exposure. Could he replace Cody? No doubt Roarke’s pressure would be good enough. But then again we’d be robbing team of his role to suppress one of Port’s ball magnets. Just spitballing really…..

Post Thanks / Like

I would be happy with JJ staying in for Weightman. JUH is the closest we have to offering what Weightman does offensively but we clearly will not lay him. Would also be happy with Scott, McNeill or Garcia as they all offer good pressure but JJ is the incumbent and played decent so stays in.

Happy with Young to continue, he isn't offering a heap but we have no other options and I'd prefer we continue with the two ruck setup. Not interested in playing Sweet at all. Don't hate the Cordy forward/ruck idea but prefer Young.

Richards I think will be sub, we really rate him and he has played a bit everywhere, so a good option.

Wouldn't pick Wallis, we haven't been interested in him all season so why would we be now?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Martin in and Young as sub? Any chance?

I’d be worried about Scott coming in. We lose Cody’s clean set shot and we need to replace it.

Left field - bring in Ed and play Bailey Dale forward? Won’t happen…

I’d say we’ll bring in Garcia as Sub, JJ comes in, and no other changes.

Edit: Just saw Ruck stats from the weekend and how better English performed in the 2nd half and how it impacted clearances. Maybe it’s a forward we need to bring in, and drop Young. I’m sure we’d all love JUH out there in a prelim! Another that won’t happen though…
    Last edited by MrMahatma; 06-09-2021 at 10:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Martin in and Young as sub? Any chance?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Martin for Young

Wallis sub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Martin isn’t playing again this year.
    Martin could be a chance according to this article.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/tea...89d4b0f72f888f

In other Dogs news, Stefan Martin is firming to play after a solid training session in Tasmania on Saturday with teammates who weren’t selected for the semi-final.

In Martin’s favour is the fact Lewis Young notched just 53 per cent game time against the Lions.

The veteran ruckman, who has not been seen at senior level since Round 12, was considered underdone earlier in the finals as he returned from injury.

He played a scratch match on the morning of August 21, the day after Beveridge lamented his ruck stocks in a two-point loss to Port Adelaide

Three weeks on, Martin’s name remains at the forefront of selection discussions as Beveridge seeks to reverse the Round 23 result against Ken Hinkley‘s men.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is fairly clear that Bontempelli will play but won't be 100% fit.

If Bontempelli was 100% fit, I think we'd seriously consider rolling the Stef Martin dice, but now we can't, we need to be conservative with our ruck setup and stick with English and Young.

All in all, if it was round 21 I'd bring in Ed Richards for Roarke Smith but unfortunately for Richards it isn't and lack of competitive football has hurt him and our other players currently not playing.

I think the sub will come from Ed Richards, Roarke Smith, Anthony Scott, Mitch Wallis or Johannisen

For mine Johannisen IN for Weightman and Anthony Scott as the sub. Scott is more versatile than our other options.

Bontempelli to play forward and Beveridge to put his arm around Treloar and back him in to play in the middle all game. .

#WeGotThis
    #BeMoreBulldog
    More of an In Bruges guy?

6. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In other Dogs news, Stefan Martin is firming to play after a solid training session in Tasmania on Saturday with teammates who weren’t selected for the semi-final.
    Two underdone players - no thanks.

We can't risk playing both Martin and Bontempelli.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    BR are you still drunk?
    I just don’t see it. If he were an experienced player who we knew what their best footy was sure, but hes inexperienced and just doesn’t game sense, plus he’s rusty after a long layoff

Interesting to hear about his running but I’d be bringing Cordy and Richards in

9. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Bontempelli was 100% fit, I think we'd seriously consider rolling the Stef Martin dice, but now we can't, we need to be conservative with our ruck setup and stick with English and Young.

They would only consider Martin if he is 100% right to go.

Bont to full forward in Josh Bruce's role if he is still a bit ginger could work for sure. They would have to put their best defender on him. He 'd still be good enough to snag a couple of goals. Naughton and Schache also up forward with English in the ruck assuming Martin is not selected..

It's then a question of what to do with Lewis. In this scenario I'd bring in a smaller more mobile player with Schache relieving English. This would bring Richards, Garcia, Scott or even West up for consideration.

A midfield of MaCrae, Libba, B.Smith, Treloar, Dunks is good enough to beat Ports midfield.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

11. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we need to turn this into a defensive slog. It can't be a shoot out.

Beveridge needs to tag one or two of their prime movers in Boak Wines or Gray

Collectively tackles need to stick more than they did against the lions too or else this could blow out.

Post Thanks / Like

They would only consider Martin if he is 100% right to go.

Bont to full forward in Josh Bruce's role if he is still a bit ginger could work for sure. They would have to put their best defender on him. He 'd still be good enough to snag a couple of goals. Naughton and Schache also up forward with English in the ruck assuming Martin is not selected..

It's then a question of what to do with Lewis. In this scenario I'd bring in a smaller more mobile player with Schache relieving English. This would bring Richards, Garcia, Scott or even West up for consideration.

A midfield of MaCrae, Libba, B.Smith, Treloar, Dunks is good enough to beat Ports midfield.
    I still think we need to sacrifice a tag on Wines or Boak, possibly Dunkley.

14. Likes Bullies, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In Martin’s favour is the fact Lewis Young notched just 53 per cent game time against the Lions.

The veteran ruckman, who has not been seen at senior level since Round 12, was considered underdone earlier in the finals as he returned from injury.

He played a scratch match on the morning of August 21, the day after Beveridge lamented his ruck stocks in a two-point loss to Port Adelaide

Three weeks on, Martin’s name remains at the forefront of selection discussions as Beveridge seeks to reverse the Round 23 result against Ken Hinkley‘s men.
    So are we better off with 53% game time of Young or 53% of Stef?

And presumably Young had 53% cause he wasn’t playing well enough, where as Stef COULD maybe give us more like 65% even if not fully fit?

It’s certainly a chance and I think a risk worth taking. If we go OK in the ruck, we win.

16. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to training this morning so will try and find time to do a report afterwards...

They are training at 10am Perth time today and Thursday...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Would be a big boost but everything else we have heard has him as no chance. If he is close it would be very tempting as we played our hand with Allir in round 23, we wanted English forward at all times to try and force him to take either English or Naughton.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine any team in the competition not putting their best defender on Naughton. I assume at Port that's Jonas who has had a very good year.

I think we have to find a way to get English forward as much as possible. Their other talls are Aliir who often tries to take the 4th or 5th forward and intercept, and Trent McKenzie is is very undersized and would probably take Schache.

Bont forward could work as Ports' defence is tight but would give us the best chance of stoppage goals.

Our backs need to get some bastard into them as if you belt Motlop early he doesn't want to go near it.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

20. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    I think we need to turn this into a defensive slog. It can't be a shoot out.

Beveridge needs to tag one or two of their prime movers in Boak Wines or Gray

Collectively tackles need to stick more than they did against the lions too or else this could blow out.
    If you look at the previous games we have kept them to low scores. They won’t get through the corridor like Brisbane did, not on this ground. They scored 77 in round 9 with most scores in 2 bursts and 63 in round 23 with only 6 goals up until the last ten minutes.

We can hold them if we don’t give up goals on turnover (Geelong had terrible ball security under pressure of a final) and we don’t give up goals from centre bounce. Get territory and make them move the ball against us.

The thing Port have done well a few times against us is taking the sting out of the game when we are on top. I think if we are on we can put hunt them which gets our runners going but every time this has happened including 2020 they have then chipped it around and taken the sting out of it. Can they do that with the pressure of a final and the adrenaline of a home crowd behind them?

22. Likes Raw Toast liked this post