Thanks Thanks:  60
Likes Likes:  365
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Finals Week 3

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I think Young coming out, someone coming in to play forward and Timmy taking ruck is firming. If it’s Marra, I can live with it. If it’s Cordy to do a defensive job on Aliir, not sure I’m a fan but it is what it is.

Very unlikely Sweet plays off no games.
    Marra played of a low fitness base to begin with this year so not sure the last 6 weeks would have increased it in regards to match fitness. i wouldn't think he plays. Also we shouldn't under estimate the pressure role Cordy played in the forward line in 2016. Allir will certainly know he has played a game on Cordy. A bit of physicality to put him off his game. He hasn't had anyone playing a defensive role on him.

Post Thanks / Like

Gut feel was no (on Martin)

And then hearing Bevo on Whateley....even more 'no' now.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m thinking there’ll be no change. Except the JJ for Cody.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Marra played of a low fitness base to begin with this year so not sure the last 6 weeks would have increased it in regards to match fitness. i wouldn't think he plays. Also we shouldn't under estimate the pressure role Cordy played in the forward line in 2016. Allir will certainly know he has played a game on Cordy. A bit of physicality to put him off his game. He hasn't had anyone playing a defensive role on him.
    Yeah, very unlikely Bevo pulls the trigger on Marra.

Aliir will certainly know he's played a game on Cordy, hopefully it's not after he's taken his 8th intercept mark
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    How did Cordy go as a forward in the 2016 GF? He kicked our first goal after a strong tackle... but then what? Was he responsible for Grundy who took 7 intercept marks or maybe Rampe who had 24 touches & 11 marks?

I know Cordy will try hard, but does he have enough forward craft and athleticism to worry good defenders?

Post Thanks / Like

Cannot play Shache, English and Cordy in the same forward line. Ports speed would kill us.

Hannan would be a good match up on Allir. Need someone who has forward craft plus speed to pressure Allir when he has the ball in hand. Often he kicks long to a contest or turns it over.

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not fully convinced Bevo isn't playing some ducks and drakes here. Last week he indicated a forced change was coming....and there wasn't.
    He hasn't ruled Martin out, and commented about Martin.... 'if he trains strongly,there's a consideration there. He also reference that the ruck isn't stabilised...
    Can't wait to see who we go with in our team selections this evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Georgiadis has injured his hammy again and won’t play.
    Terrible news for him but timely for us.

10. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One things for sure Bevo is in his element atm, those little hooks he has for the players that impact around the edges of performance are in full swing. Outside a few injuries he has the players were he wants them I reckon.

Post Thanks / Like

With all this speculation every single selection night for the last 3 months, all I want from Sam Power during trade week is a reliable ruckman that we'll get 3+ solid years out of.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee Georgiadis our is a big plus for us.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d rather Marra than Cordy in forward line. I know Cordy did ok in 2026 finals but we need player with forward craft. If Hannan plays negating role on Allir having a tall forward with marking presence to give Port defenders someone tall to worry about other than Naughts & a resting English seems a better way to go to me. Marra taller & way more agile than Cordy. I understand concerns about Marra running out game but I think with adrenaline and teammates support I think he’ll be switched on and is so talented I’m confident he will help with forward pressure - not as good as Cody I know (at least more than Cordy IMO). Marra’s leading patterns are really good too. Also gives say Schache licence to roam up & down ground to provide a marking presence & great disposal, as well as coverage if one of our defenders goes down.

15. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    How did Cordy go as a forward in the 2016 GF? He kicked our first goal after a strong tackle... but then what? Was he responsible for Grundy who took 7 intercept marks or maybe Rampe who had 24 touches & 11 marks?

I know Cordy will try hard, but does he have enough forward craft and athleticism to worry good defenders?
    Bit of a harsh rap on Cordy in the GF there...he definitely wasn't on Rampe (that was Stringer and in periods Picken and Libba)....more so Grundy - but didn't have huge game time and was playing his 11th game. His Prelim game was good too.

5 years on - its probably not comparable to our situation now - as we didn't have a tall target at all really in '16 - but do now via Naughton and to a certain extent Schache. '16 we only had T.Boyd - and he was fwd/ruck anyway and not playing big minutes i50, so Cordy was need.

I'm not advocating for him to be in the side this week - but there is no doubt in my mind that he was an effective part of our structure in '16.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I’d rather Marra than Cordy in forward line. I know Cordy did ok in 2026 finals but we need player with forward craft. If Hannan plays negating role on Allir having a tall forward with marking presence to give Port defenders someone tall to worry about other than Naughts & a resting English seems a better way to go to me. Marra taller & way more agile than Cordy. I understand concerns about Marra running out game but I think with adrenaline and teammates support I think he’ll be switched on and is so talented I’m confident he will help with forward pressure - not as good as Cody I know (at least more than Cordy IMO). Marra’s leading patterns are really good too. Also gives say Schache licence to roam up & down ground to provide a marking presence & great disposal, as well as coverage if one of our defenders goes down.
    You got a crystal ball there into our future there Josie?

I wonder how many 'defensive' forwards we can have too. Someone has to kick a goal at some point! which was one of the things I wondered about with Hannan. I'd be hesitant about Jamarra too on lack of fitness - we've seen how the intensity ramps up week by week. I also agree we need Schache to work very hard to keep presenting and offering options which keep Allir accountable.

Oh I'm getting nervous! It feels like this is such a big thing for us fans given the way COVID is trending, we're in for more pain, but the Dogs' great performance last week lifted our moods. I hope we're still having these happy/worrying selection discussions next week and the week after.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

18. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Gee Georgiadis our is a big plus for us.
    We will never know but was likely going to miss out anyway. Reckon they were keen to go small like the first final.