Thanks Thanks:  60
Likes Likes:  365
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Finals Week 3

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Tear them apart.

2. Likes merantau, josie, MrMahatma, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I, Vred, stand here today, humbled by the task before us, mindful of the sacrifices borne by our Western Bulldogs ancestors.

We are in the midst of a crisis. The Dogs are at war against a far-reaching storm of disturbance and deluded fans thinking we pay umpires. Our ruck-stocks are badly weakened: a consequence of bad luck and irresponsibility on the part of list management, but also on the collective failure to make hard choices and to prepare for a new, MAD game.

Today, I say to you, that the challenges are real, and they are many. They will not be easily met, or in a short span of time, but know this, Dogs fans: they will be met. In reaffirming the greatness of our club, we understand that greatness is never given, our journey has never been one of shortcuts. It has not been for the faint-heated, or who seek the easy way out. Rather, it has been the risk-takers, the rookies, the creators of mad plays. For us, they toiled on the field, endured the grind of training. Time and again, these men struggled, and sacrificed, so that we might ... WIN.

We remain the most powerful underdogs in the AFL, our players no less inventive, and skills no less needed than they were last week, or the weekend before, or the week after. Starting Saturday, we must pull on our jumpers, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of winning.

Now, there are some who question the scale of our ambitions, who suggest our defensive system cannot tolerate too many outs. Their memories are short, for they have forgotten what the Dogs have already done, what free men can achieve when skill and heart is joined to common purpose.

And so, to all the people who are reading this speech, from the grandest cities, to the small villages where JJ was born, know that the Dogs are a friend to every man, who seeks the future of winning and success.

What is required of us now is a new era of barracking. This is the price, and the promise, of Western Bulldogs membership. The Dogs, in the face of common dangers, in this winter of our hardship, let us remember these timeless words: YES, WE CAN.

Let it be said by our children's children, that when we were tested by opposition forward lines, when we were forced to quarantine, to travel, to not eat, that we did not turn back, nor did we falter, and we carried forth that great gift of victory to be delivered.

Thank you. God bless, and God bless The Western Bulldogs
    Sensational old chap.

4. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunkley has to tag Wines I reckon, their midfield isn't as deep as ours if we shut either Wines/Boak down I reckon we can win this.

6. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How many minutes can we expect Stef to play?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    All of them. Let’s not think for a second he’s unfit to play. He’s in and he’s gonna deliver.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    All of them. Let’s not think for a second he’s unfit to play. He’s in and he’s gonna deliver.
    Our Clark Keating.

(Clark Kent would be even better).
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

10. Likes bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    65-70% I'm hoping. It would be cool if we can keep English forward for 70% of the match.

12. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    65-70% I'm hoping. It would be cool if we can keep English forward for 70% of the match.
    Could Steph take the Centre bounces then drop back into the defence half and ruck there, while English looks after forward half (say inside 50)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Watched AFL 360 and a few stats caught my eye

The Mids Boundary Battle

Throw-ins v Top 8 teams

Bulldogs +8+55 points
    Port -2, -7 points

Disposals v Port round 23: 334 disposals (Season low!)

Bont: 15
    Macrae: 29
    Libba: 17
    Dunks: 17
    Treloar: 22
    Hunter: 22

We only lost that game by 2 points. Naughton marks that ball at the death, or Smith takes 1-2 more steps before he kicks and nails it, we win. Could have gone either way.

Port:

Wines: 34 disposals and a goal
    Boak: 31 disposals and 2.3. Could have kicked 5!
    Gray: 25 disposals, 2 goals

Naughton only kicked 1. Allir had 8 marks. We also got obliterated in the ruck 51-18 in terms of hitouts, which contributed to us losing the clearances 35-28 and stoppages 26-19.

My point is this: Yes, we had an amazing start to the game. However, our midfield teleported from the ground after that and were replaced with witches hats. Look at the disposal numbers. Port’s midfield couldn’t have played much better. What, is Boak going to kick 5.0 this game and Wines going to rack up 50?

Martin back definitely helps our clearance and stoppage work. This lessens the impact of Wines and Boak. If it rains (Seems like it will) the more boundary throw-ins there will be. As noted above, we are a fantastic team with throw-ins against the top 8. Port aren’t.

The other factor not many in the media are talking about is Dunks influence as a tagger. He shut our Parish after game time, and did the same to Neale. I’m not sure of the exact stats, but the difference was clear. He will go to Wines. Even if he can tag him slightly out of the contest, it’ll go a long way to victory.

I’m usually a pessimist, but not this week. Not this team. Not this year. Everything I’ve just stated should show everyone that we have FAR more upside than they do.

2021. Yield to none!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Sensational old chap.
    I love how it just gets back into ........Dunkley needs to tag Wines....when we all know Dunks is rucking in support of SSSM,
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

The Mids Boundary Battle

Throw-ins v Top 8 teams

Bulldogs +8+55 points
    Port -2, -7 points

We only lost that game by 2 points. Naughton marks that ball at the death, or Smith takes 1-2 more steps before he kicks and nails it, we win. Could have gone either way.

Port:

Naughton only kicked 1. Allir had 8 marks. We also got obliterated in the ruck 51-18 in terms of hitouts, which contributed to us losing the clearances 35-28 and stoppages 26-19.

My point is this: Yes, we had an amazing start to the game. However, our midfield teleported from the ground after that and were replaced with witches hats. Look at the disposal numbers. Port’s midfield couldn’t have played much better. What, is Boak going to kick 5.0 this game and Wines going to rack up 50?

Martin back definitely helps our clearance and stoppage work. This lessens the impact of Wines and Boak. If it rains (Seems like it will) the more boundary throw-ins there will be. As noted above, we are a fantastic team with throw-ins against the top 8. Port aren’t.

The other factor not many in the media are talking about is Dunks influence as a tagger. He shut our Parish after game time, and did the same to Neale. I’m not sure of the exact stats, but the difference was clear. He will go to Wines. Even if he can tag him slightly out of the contest, it’ll go a long way to victory.

I’m usually a pessimist, but not this week. Not this team. Not this year. Everything I’ve just stated should show everyone that we have FAR more upside than they do.

2021. Yield to none!
    Great contribution Rhys.

This game's a bit of a head *!*!*!*! to be honest. However, your points about our midfield being less than present after a point in time early winning the day for Port are spot on.

I think we leave the back half relatively the same with Cordy in and Keath out, however, the mix forward of centre intrigues me most. Is it just intensity and a promise to be the best these guys go into the game with, or is there a change up?

I have no idea.
    Last edited by jeemak; 10-09-2021 at 10:23 AM.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

The Mids Boundary Battle

Throw-ins v Top 8 teams

Bulldogs +8+55 points
    Port -2, -7 points

Port:

2021. Yield to none!
    Nice contribution and analysis Rhys!

Post Thanks / Like

I’m all for spotting ang working with trends and patterns;

Prelims I’ve attended;
    1985, 1992, 1997, 1998, 2008, 2009, 2010

Prelims I have NOT attended

I will not be attending the prelim this year in 2021.

#yourewelcome

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Always Right Match Committee - Finals Week 3

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    I’m all for spotting ang working with trends and patterns;

Prelims I’ve attended;
    1985, 1992, 1997, 1998, 2008, 2009, 2010

Prelims I have NOT attended

I will not be attending the prelim this year in 2021.

#yourewelcome
    We’ve never lost an interstate prelim (on the trend thing)

Oh, and thank you ReLoad
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Great contribution Rheece.......yeah yeah....sorry, Rhys.

This game's a bit of a head *!*!*!*! to be honest. However, your points about our midfield being less than present after a point in time early winning the day for Port are spot on.

I think we leave the back half relatively the same with Cordy in and Keath out, however, the mix forward of centre intrigues me most. Is it just intensity and a promise to be the best these guys go into the game with, or is there a change up?

I have no idea.
    Why did you need to sensor the word scratcher?

I would like to see Gardner and Cordy play as our lockdown defenders with Schache as intercept support against Dixson.
    Wood, Williams, Duyrea and Dale, to pick up mid forwards with Daniel pushing up the field.

Forward of the ball Naughton, English and Hanan to play as our marking targets. My concern with our forward line make up is that will need Naughton both deep and presenting up at the ball to the wing when we need a marking targets to get out of trouble.

English cannot attack the ball with the same authority as Naughton and Bruce. Hannan can, but more often than not he crashes the pack and doesn't get near marking the footy.

Can Hannan be our lead up player to the wings and Naughton and English remain deep all game?

I really can't wait for the rest of the footy world to melt when we win, have the Grand Final pre bye which allows Martin and Bont to freshen up and Keith to return.

#WeGotThis
    #BeMoreBulldog
    More of an In Bruges guy?

23. Likes GVGjr, jeemak liked this post