Thanks Thanks:  60
Likes Likes:  365
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Finals Week 3

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Could Steph take the Centre bounces then drop back into the defence half and ruck there, while English looks after forward half (say inside 50)
    Absolutely great thinking 99.

I'm feeling as positive about this game as I can.

My feeling on the selection of Martin is that he just adds so much to our shape that he's a critical in and the reason why I've gone from this being a 30/70 game to a 50/50 game at least. Provided Stef stays fit and allows English to play forward this will present huge problems for Lycett (Stef is no star but neither is Lycett and he'll be up against it against an equally strong and more experienced Martin). I think Lycett's outlook would have changed drastically before the team sheets came out to after they came out. That he now has to ruck against a respected, strong, experienced AFL ruckman changes everything.

The flow on effect of the Martin inclusion impacts the dodgy Port Adelaide key backs as well. Aliir is not a big lockdown defender and Port want him loose. He failed miserably against Naughton last time we played them over there to the point he looked like a VFL defender playing his first game, added to this McKenzie is solid but no world beater. Jonas is a trier but just not big enough to compete with Naughton or English.

What I'm getting at is that if Dixon presents a big threat to our key backs with Keath out (and he does), both Naughton and English loom as bigger threats to them down the other end.

If we had Flea and Chief in I'd be supremely confident but if we get through this and get them back for a GF I'd be confident of winning it all this year.

2. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Absolutely great thinking 99.
    He could potentially push a bit deeper in general play but I don't think I would be dropping him back at stoppages unless they are deep forward stoppages. If we rolled English or Schache up to take a throw in at say centre wing or half forward it means Aliir is then able to free himself up behind the footy.

It also takes away our own ability to manipulate the numbers game as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    How do we think the defence will match up?

I think it'll be something like:

Gardner - Dixon
    Cordy - Marshall
    Williams - Ladhams
    Duryea - Fantasia
    Wood - Gray
    Dale - Rozee

I'm assuming I'm missing someone from Port, they have plenty of mid/forward types that role through.

Going to be tough!
    I think we will generally not think of it in terms of match ups apart from the deep match ups. We will have someone for Dixon, Gray and maybe Marshall and the rest will be dictated by who we want defending highest up the ground and what we are doing at stoppages.

It will be interesting to see if they get Lycett/Ladhams to ensure they always have 3 tall forwards with Keath out. I am not unhappy with this, we need an advantage somewhere hopefully they go in for the kill and we can generate some run out of it or get in each others way.

The Port smalls/mobiles are so deep Fantasia, Rozee, Gray, Butters, Motlop, Duursma, Amon, Boak, Wines can all hit the scoreboard but they can only play 3 (max 4) there at once and we have just coped with Cameron, Bailey and McCarthey a week ago so we can do it. They got us out the back on turnover last time, I think having targets ahead of the ball to be confident to take territory rather than coughing it up is critical. Balance between ball security and taking ground is crucial in a final.

5. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    I’m all for spotting ang working with trends and patterns;

Prelims I’ve attended;
    1985, 1992, 1997, 1998, 2008, 2009, 2010

Prelims I have NOT attended

I will not be attending the prelim this year in 2021.

#yourewelcome
    I was never sold on numerology, and I still don't let it rule my life, but ...

Many years ago at some festival or other I consulted this numerologist. She told me that my lucky number was 5. So, 1961 - 2016 - fifty-five years since we'd played in a Grand Final
    2016 - 2021 is five years on so obviously we're going to win the Premiership! Also, one of our housemates had a vivid dream after the Melbourne-Geelong game in Rd 23. It was that we met Geelong in the Grand Final and defeated them by 18 points.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post

The Port smalls/mobiles are so deep Fantasia, Rozee, Gray, Butters, Motlop, Duursma, Amon, Boak, Wines can all hit the scoreboard but they can only play 3 (max 4) there at once and we have just coped with Cameron, Bailey and McCarthey a week ago so we can do it. They got us out the back on turnover last time, I think having targets ahead of the ball to be confident to take territory rather than coughing it up is critical. Balance between ball security and taking ground is crucial in a final.

It's a murderer's row of goal kicking mid/forwards for sure, but we've seen throughout the year that they can also go missing at times. If they get on top through the middle and pound the ball inside 50, we will struggle to cope. If we restrict supply and grind them down, we have a chance.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    We’ve never lost an interstate prelim (on the trend thing)

Oh, and thank you ReLoad
    We are also unbeaten in Adelaide in years that Tokyo hold the Olympic Games.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

9. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes The Pie Man, ReLoad, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    He could potentially push a bit deeper in general play but I don't think I would be dropping him back at stoppages unless they are deep forward stoppages. If we rolled English or Schache up to take a throw in at say centre wing or half forward it means Aliir is then able to free himself up behind the footy.

It also takes away our own ability to manipulate the numbers game as well.
    I would keep English in the f50 and not push up to the wings, but ruck in that f50 only to save Martin a bit.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I would keep English in the f50 and not push up to the wings, but ruck in that f50 only to save Martin a bit.
    Schache is not a ruckman. His overhead work is definitely improving but English has to be the ruck inside 50 as you suggest. If he can get a couple of hits to advantage that could be goals on the board.

MartinÂ’s ruck work should straighten up the mids so they go N-S and get the ball quickly into the forward line. ThatÂ’s how we got big scores earlier in the season. Martin to Treloar on the run, goal. Repeat!

Two different roles, if they manage it a comfortable win can be generated.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No forward stays in the forward 50 these days, that went out with Sony discmans and parachute pants. But I do agree with English rucking the inside 50 stoppages to preserve Stef a bit.

14. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we can safely say that we won’t be seeing Bont or Hannan take forward 50 ruck stoppages.

I don’t know how the hell he’ll go, but I’m very happy to see Stef back even if he just clobbers into Lycett and makes it hard for him all night.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Similar to azabob, I’d play Schache as the third tall in defence. Don’t mind English & Naughton as the lone forward talls, just wish we had Weightman around their feet.

Given how effective Baz was playing forward of the ball in the final quarter, wouldn’t be shocked to see him start the night there again.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    No forward stays in the forward 50 these days, that went out with Sony discmans and parachute pants. But I do agree with English rucking the inside 50 stoppages to preserve Stef a bit.
    Mate, you might have been wearing parachute pants for longer than most.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Martin and Lycett actually haven’t played against each other that much recently. There was a game really late in 2018 where they did and Martin went fairly well. Pulled a couple out of the ruck early and either nullified or won throw ins. Three years on and poor preparation so will be an interesting watch.

19. Likes bulldogtragic, jeemak, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Mate, you might have been wearing parachute pants for longer than most.
    I thought the Sony walkman and acid wash jeans were too early a reference.

21. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our forwards have to make Alir Alir accountable. He cannot be allowed to take uncontested marks and repel forward entries with ease. I still think Josh at the back and Cordy gets a lock down role up forward