Thanks Thanks:  60
Likes Likes:  365
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Finals Week 3

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Would be happy to be proven wrong but I reckon he would let us down in 2 of the 3 phases, without the ball and in dispute. If the whole game was just us shoulders out charging towards our 50 then great. We could definitely do with some brilliance and forward craft but it’s just a big gamble at this point.

I also think there is a balance issue there for our front 6 (size, shape and athletic profile) unless English rucks all game.
    We have literally 0 forwards that actually know the role properly currently with Cody and Bruce out. Marra is also good when the ball hits the ground.

2. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Just goes to show the importance of making top 4 and doing everything possible to get that QF win and subsequent week off. Slogging it out in do or die finals 2 weeks in a row, combined with the travel has turned the screws but we only have our selves to blame.
    Might be a good (but hard) lesson to learn for 2022.

If we lost to Essendon, it would have been catastrophic. After last week, we know our best is good enough (I still think it is the best of all the other sides). I won't be devastated if we lose to Port, but it reaffirms you just can't lose 2 in a row as a good side when you're challenging.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Would be happy to be proven wrong but I reckon he would let us down in 2 of the 3 phases, without the ball and in dispute. If the whole game was just us shoulders out charging towards our 50 then great. We could definitely do with some brilliance and forward craft but it’s just a big gamble at this point.

I also think there is a balance issue there for our front 6 (size, shape and athletic profile) unless English rucks all game.
    I’m not as concerned. I see a less than optimal choice needing to be made. Sweet, no. English rucks all game. Then how do we get 3 KPFs the best set up we’ve had this year? Cordy or Marra? I go with Marra.

As I previously posted, his game against Melbourne was the one I’m thinking of. Hard slog, brought some pressure, helped team mates and burned off Lever with that blistering speed to get a couple of shots and kick the sealer after Melbourne pulsed back on us. I’d trying to coach and instruct him to play less traditional KPF but replicate as much of Cody’s game as possible. He’s quicker than Cody and jumps higher than Cody and is clearly taller. He has goal sense and X factor like Cody. He needs to bring the unrelenting effort. He has a healthy belief in himself (a good thing) so I don’t think he’s going to overawed by the situation. As many amazing kids weren’t in 2016 PF. The excitement and the energy around his recall would be great for a group in isolation for many weeks. I’d prefer Cody not to have been concussed, Martin shot, McLean & Bruce unavailable. But that’s where we find ourselves and looking for someone to cover Cody for a game, I’m on Marra. I’m not prepared to bet he gets picked, but just my rationale for him.

HF: Hannan Schache B. Smith
    F: VDM/JJ Naughton Marra

All bar Schache can run 20m in +/- 3 seconds. Pressure, smoothers and tackles expected.
    Hannan to work over Allir
    Schache, all 200cm of him, free to roam and do what the team needs in the moment
    Naughton & Marra to have space and lead well
    Smith with some X factor. Could see him try to hurt DBJ but break towards goal
    If we need to manage Bonts by giving him some forward minutes, Marra can get some recharging then

Sweet, Cordy don’t make me feel the mix is right. Wallis is probably not the type we need with Hannan in there. Our shelves are bare for ready rucks and taller options with English needing to ruck the majority of the game. For me it Cordy or Marra. For me, it’s Marra. I posted my thinking after the SF that Marra might an option. I’ve just not read an argument that’s persuaded me the other way. Or maybe I’m stubborn!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes josie, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I’m not as concerned. I see a less than optimal choice needing to be made. Sweet, no. English rucks all game. Then how do we get 3 KPFs the best set up we’ve had this year? Cordy or Marra? I go with Marra.

As I previously posted, his game against Melbourne was the one I’m thinking of. Hard slog, brought some pressure, helped team mates and burned off Lever with that blistering speed to get a couple of shots and kick the sealer after Melbourne pulsed back on us. I’d trying to coach and instruct him to play less traditional KPF but replicate as much of Cody’s game as possible. He’s quicker than Cody and jumps higher than Cody and is clearly taller. He has goal sense and X factor like Cody. He needs to bring the unrelenting effort. He has a healthy belief in himself (a good thing) so I don’t think he’s going to overawed by the situation. As many amazing kids weren’t in 2016 PF. The excitement and the energy around his recall would be great for a group in isolation for many weeks. I’d prefer Cody not to have been concussed, Martin shot, McLean & Bruce unavailable. But that’s where we find ourselves and looking for someone to cover Cody for a game, I’m on Marra. I’m not prepared to bet he gets picked, but just my rationale for him.

HF: Hannan Schache B. Smith
    F: VDM/JJ Naughton Marra

All bar Schache can run 20m in +/- 3 seconds. Pressure, smoothers and tackles expected.
    Hannan to work over Allir
    Schache, all 200cm of him, free to roam and do what the team needs in the moment
    Naughton & Marra to have space and lead well
    Smith with some X factor. Could see him try to hurt DBJ but break towards goal
    If we need to manage Bonts by giving him some forward minutes, Marra can get some recharging then

Sweet, Cordy don’t make me feel the mix is right. Wallis is probably not the type we need with Hannan in there. Our shelves are bare for ready rucks and taller options with English needing to ruck the majority of the game. For me it Cordy or Marra. For me, it’s Marra. I posted my thinking after the SF that Marra might an option. I’ve just not read an argument that’s persuaded me the other way. Or maybe I’m stubborn!
    Mine was assuming that we set up to play English/Young or Martin/English. If English is a sole ruckmen it changes the mix and another tall is definitely an option.

I have said this a few times but it doesn’t matter whether they all run good times on a stop watch when it comes to team defence. We can probably carry him if Young and Martin are not options though. I guess “carry” is the wrong term but he isn’t as quick to defend as some others.

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    We have literally 0 forwards that actually know the role properly currently with Cody and Bruce out. Marra is also good when the ball hits the ground.
    Agree on lack of genuine forwards, I think Marra has shown glimpses at ground level but has been horrible most of the time. Not concerned long term as you can see he has that ability but on exposed form he feels the heat pretty quickly in those scenarios.

Post Thanks / Like

If Keath out, would Schache go back to CHB?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I’ve missed a beat obviously. Why is Keath potential out?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think so. He is better in the backline but we need him forward. Cannot believe I am saying Schache is needed BOTH back and forward in a FINAL.

12. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ll believe Keath is out when I see it. Have hope.

14. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am less concerned about Keath being out, but more concerned about him getting injured early-ish during the game. Risk we have to take if he is okay to start.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I’ve missed a beat obviously. Why is Keath potential out?
    Just based on Sam Edmund's report

THERE'S a fitness concern over Alex Keath. The Dogs defender has only completed run-throughs with Cody Weightman at training today. Keath has since left the track as the team gets into main training. Might still play, but a hamstring the issue I believe. Bont looks good tho.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Cordy on Alir reminds me when Rohan smith started on Robran in 98. a real nightmare.

Our system works, no point doing something radical now.

JJ in for Weightman. with Scott as the sub. Simple and clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Just based on Sam Edmund's report
    Thanks. Did he tweet if the Jamarra trade has been agreed to yet?

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw some footage of Bont going through his paces and he looks like he was moving well.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

21. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They said on SEN that Keith was doing light run throughs with Weightman than left the track while the rest of the group done the main training session. The assumption is that his hamstring is playing up. That doesn't sound great but he could be just resting a corky for all we know.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

23. Thanks josie thanked for this post