Thanks Thanks:  60
Likes Likes:  365
Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Finals Week 3

Let's call it now:

Does Martin get picked or not?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Let's call it now:

Gut feel, and Lewy's 53% on ground last week - YES
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's call it now:

I want him to

So no
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Will be on SEN this morning around 10am. (Yes I am listening to it during the finals.)
    Thank you for the heads up (will chuck that on as I breeze through another glorious day or remote learning/work)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I want him to

So no
    Nothing would shock me, tbh.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing would shock me, tbh.
    Bedendo to replace Weightman?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Bedendo to replace Weightman?
    Ok, that is one move Bevo could make that would shock me!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, that is one move Bevo could make that would shock me!
    Ross Lyon last night says Cordy should come in and play on Alir Alir

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If we are a chance of winning, Martin needs to play.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

The best way to counter Aliir is to give him something to do, not to try and defend him because it doesn't create any scoring opportunites for us and he's too good in the air anyway so it won't work. What exactly is Zaine going to do to make Aliir respect him?

We have to figure out a way to isolate him on a marking threat. Naughton killed him in round 9 and while they won't give us that look again, the structure of our forward line likely means he has to play on someone over 195cm, likely Schache. Do we trust Schache enough in the air to force Aliir to defend? Can we manufacture situations where Naughton or English are on Aliir?

Aliir is a great player and Port have done a fantastic job putting him in a position to succeed, but he isn't Jake Lever and has clear defensive flaws. We should look to expose those rather than plod up our forward mix.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    The best way to counter Aliir is to give him something to do, not to try and defend him because it doesn't create any scoring opportunites for us and he's too good in the air anyway so it won't work. What exactly is Zaine going to do to make Aliir respect him?

We have to figure out a way to isolate him on a marking threat. Naughton killed him in round 9 and while they won't give us that look again, the structure of our forward line likely means he has to play on someone over 195cm, likely Schache. Do we trust Schache enough in the air to force Aliir to defend? Can we manufacture situations where Naughton or English are on Aliir?

Aliir is a great player and Port have done a fantastic job putting him in a position to succeed, but he isn't Jake Lever and has clear defensive flaws. We should look to expose those rather than plod up our forward mix.
    I don't trust Schache to compete in the air with Allir, but I do trust him to lead to space... we just need to hit him up rather than bomb the ball on his head. Like any defences the Port team don't like to be separated so it's exactly what we need to do.

When forced to go in long & direct we just need a contest in the air & on the ground and cut down the intercept possessions.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's call it now:

I'm leaning towards a yes. It would be a very Bevo thing to do. I'm not convinced Young is the best option against Port and I am concerned he's under an injury cloud. Playing 50% game time and then walking a lap before disappearing on Tuesday does not fill me with confidence either. Hoping to see something like;

Schache - wherever he is needed but forward when English is in the ruck
    Martin - 70% Ruck 30% bench - rucks against Lycett
    English 70% forward 30% ruck - rucks against Ladhams

With Weightman out the best lead up forward we have is Schache. Actually the only true forward we have is Schache.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I don't trust Schache to compete in the air with Allir, but I do trust him to lead to space... we just need to hit him up rather than bomb the ball on his head. Like any defences the Port team don't like to be separated so it's exactly what we need to do.

When forced to go in long & direct we just need a contest in the air & on the ground and cut down the intercept possessions.
    Ironically Schache is one player that could trouble Aliir.

Aliir is riding high on confidence right now, and if he's matched up on Schache, I'd almost bet on him backing himself far and beyond Schache (understandable). The one thing Aliir gives you is space to lead into - don't stand and wrestle him, move. Schache does move into space well, even though I wish he had an extra turn of speed.

The key as you mentioned is us actually hitting him up on the lead. Schache also needs to start deeper and lead out, rather than leading OUT of the F50 because if he does that, Aliir will let him go - he isn't scoring from 50m+.

We don't need Schache to kick 5, but if he can start well, take some lead up marks and kick a couple, it would make Aliir change his game.

That said, don't be surprised if Hannan goes to Aliir.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Listening to Bevo - I am doubtful Martin comes in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Listening to Bevo - I am doubtful Martin comes in.
    Yeah, doesn’t sound like ducks and drakes. Stef ain’t playing.