Thanks Thanks:  60
Likes Likes:  365
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Finals Week 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Not much to disagree with you there... think Scott comes in for Bont if that happens and Treloar & Dunkley get more midfield time. Dunkley needs to be in as many CB's as possible and play a defensive role on Wines or Boak.

Agree on Young, but I think we're too far down the road now to change it given the lack of footy for the other options... hopefully Tim can play as he did on the weekend by being competitive in the middle and we need Lewis to do the heavy lifting around the ground which he does better than the centre square work. Will also need Young to compete strongly in the air when he's up forward.

The backline are holding tough and whilst Port have a pretty strong forward-line we need to defend well as a group and will need help from up the ground because whilst Bris got lots of I'50's, after qtr time they didn't get a heap of clean ball.
    The last game we played Port, English spent almost the entire game at FF. I think we will find this time, English will have more ruck time minutes, especially in the middle. However, Centre clearances were even that night, but we were beaten in Stoppage clearances.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I really have never understood the criticism toward Hannan. Think he is pretty bloody important to us. Particularly with Bruce being out - he needs to be a presence for us in the air. Strong body, doesn't get out marked, and has good speed and power in our forward half. He's not playing a role that lends itself to big stat numbers (although 15 and 2.2 v Essendon was a higher than normal return) but he's the sort of player that might have 2-3 moments that can influence the result.
    His problem is that he indiscriminately crashes packs when our talls would be in control. He also fumbled a lot in his early games. His best play is running into the goal area to receive a handball from a genuine play maker. I don’t see a positive overall contribution. And he has definitely contributed to the diminished goal kicking by the tall forwards. Needs to be told how to play smarter.

3. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark Steven's reporting:

''I am hearing positive early reports on Bont. Don't fret too much. Bad news unlikely''
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

5. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    His problem is that he indiscriminately crashes packs when our talls would be in control. He also fumbled a lot in his early games. His best play is running into the goal area to receive a handball from a genuine play maker. I don’t see a positive overall contribution. And he has definitely contributed to the diminished goal kicking by the tall forwards. Needs to be told how to play smarter.
    Brilliant job getting that ball to Smith who put us in front with 2 min to go
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yeah he was coming in hot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I’m not saying he never does anything well, but he is nowhere near as consistent a contributor as in his first few years at Melbourne.

And at times now his play is reckless and costly. We play him because we know he might do something good, not because we know he will do something special.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Mark Steven's reporting:

''I am hearing positive early reports on Bont. Don't fret too much. Bad news unlikely''
    I thought he would be too busy with the Liberal leadership spill to worry about the Bont.

10. Likes azabob, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I thought he would be too busy with the Liberal leadership spill to worry about the Bont.
    Thanks for the laugh. Stevo is like any regular working stiff.... Bont first >>>>>>>>> work a long second.....
    More of an In Bruges guy?

12. Likes Mantis, Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    When you work in politics you don’t really do much during the day so I don’t blame him on reporting on actual important news.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I really can't remember too many times that he has 'indiscriminately crashed' a pack and stuffed up Naughton or others. Obviously you've seen it happen and its stuck with you. I'll look out for it in future. I would say that Bruce being out means that it is incumbent upon him to compete in the air. He's played 15 games this season - so its not like he just came into the side and the goal kicking of Naughton and Bruce dropped off. I think if he was doing that, the coaches have had ample opportunity to drop him.

You need your role players, and Hannan is one of those.

Post Thanks / Like

My feel on Hannan is that he gets a bit of a longer leash on his tangible input than others because of his assets. I think the match committee see him as being able to halve a contest/bring the ball to ground while still being able to cover the ground to defend. Closing exits, covering off dangerous space etc he is able to do better than a tall while still being athletic enough to compete. His athletic mix is viewed as saving us a selection somewhere else is my read on it.

My frustration with him is his below the knees stuff, stands out in a team of quick thinkers and clean ball handlers. The gather and handball to Smith and a couple of instances late against Essendon hopefully show that he can turn that around.

16. Likes josie, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...tman-ruled-out

Bont a chance to play, Weightman ruled out

Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli is considered a chance to take his place in this Saturday night’s Preliminary Final, while enigmatic forward Cody Weightman has been ruled out under AFL concussion protocols.

Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli is considered a chance to take his place in this Saturday night’s Preliminary Final, while enigmatic forward Cody Weightman has been ruled out under AFL concussion protocols.

Bontempelli will be tested throughout the week to determine if he can lead the side out against Port Adelaide.

“In the last minutes of the game, Marcus landed and had his knee twisted,” said Bulldogs’ head of sports medicine, Chris Bell.

“Scans have cleared him of any serious structural damage, but he does have some symptoms related to the injury.

“We’ll work with Marcus through the back end of this week to determine his availability.”

Weightman was withdrawn at half time of the Bulldogs’ memorable win over Brisbane at the Gabba after colliding with Lions’ defender Marcus Adams.

“During the half time break we made the decision to remove him from the game,” Bell said.

“Subsequent testing has confirmed he does have some low-level concussion symptoms.

“He won’t play this week, but we’ll monitor Cody in the next couple of days to determine his availability.”

Post Thanks / Like

So what do we all think? Cryptic. But Bont should play?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Given there's no structural damage I'd like someone to try and stop him playing.

20. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    The “chance” part is in the headline not the interview which is odd. Just the standard “we will work with him to determine availability” line was used by Bell which is normal.

If there is no structural damage he would have to be pretty sore to miss. May be a matter of getting the swelling down to a point that he can get mobility in the joint.

22. Likes Raw Toast liked this post