Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  85
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Free Kick count?

So - it was 28 (us) and 19 (Lions).

There is a LOT of sooking going on by the Lions and their fans - but the most controversial decisions (imo) were:

1/. Bont goal being over-ruled. Clearly a wrong decision by those clowns at the ARC and another clear misuse of the system...it should be used for GOAL LINE REVIEWS, not trying to assess whether or not a fingernail touched the ball 40m from goal.

2/. The 'deliberate' now apparently insufficient intent decision vs Caleb. I actually don't mind them paying this but if this is 'deliberate', surely almost every kick that goes oob without being touched is pretty close to deliberate ('cos it was a skill error and any kick that misses a target is ALSO a skill error).

So - what's the truth? Were the Lions harshly penalised or was it a pretty fairly adjudicated game?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Free Kick count?

There was the Dale holding the ball that wasn't paid which should have been, though there was also a Zorko too high on Caleb that stood out.

Plus there were a few times McInerny threw the ball, alongside Coleman doing the same.

I tend to notice those not paid to us, more so than those not paid to them. Dunno why!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    There was the Dale holding the ball that wasn't paid which should have been, though there was also a Zorko too high on Caleb that stood out.

Plus there were a few times McInerny threw the ball, alongside Coleman doing the same.

I tend to notice those not paid to us, more so than those not paid to them. Dunno why!
    There was a horrible non HTB on Coleman in the last too. One to start the game on him too.

But that’s footy. Sometimes you’re the windscreen, sometimes you’re the fly. I don’t think a differential of 9 is a big number. The ARC overturn was worth 6+ frees.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The ruck free at the end was technical and while probably there, regularly doesn't get paid so can understand it causing frustration. What I can't understand is the bleating that it cost the Lions the game.

It was given in the middle of the ground, not the goal square. Lions defenders still had an opportunity to set up and kill it or win it back and rebound to set up a win. They did neither and coughed up a point through some excellent contested work from our guys.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't the football world just credit us for putting our noses over the ball first and are more likely to draw a free kick and also could it possibly be that our tackling technique when our tackles stick are of a high quality that also warrants paying the free kick.

Brisbane could have quite easily won that game if they kicked better in the dying stages so the football world needs to pull their heads in on us getting more free kicks than anyone else and may be look at the play in general.

I wonder how the umpiring division is feeling about them being accused of bias or not doing their job.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

7. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The ruck free at the end was technical and while probably there, regularly doesn't get paid so can understand it causing frustration. What I can't understand is the bleating that it cost the Lions the game.

It was given in the middle of the ground, not the goal square. Lions defenders still had an opportunity to set up and kill it or win it back and rebound to set up a win. They did neither and coughed up a point through some excellent contested work from our guys.
    Same as Essendon last week. It’s easier to blame umpires for your failings rather than accept reality and take responsibility to improve next year. Some people just like to deflect their own teams responsibility for the loss, as you highlight in the last 90 seconds.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get why AFL fans expect free kick count to be even. Like some sort of entitlement. I follow the NBA strongly and don't ever feel a 'why isn't the foul count even?'.

Contrary to that even, being able to draw a foul is recognised as a positive attribute in the NBA.

10. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Given the free kick count in round 23 and the timekeeper error in the brisbane game that robbed us of a top four spot I couldn't care less.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I don't get why AFL fans expect free kick count to be even. Like some sort of entitlement. I follow the NBA strongly and don't ever feel a 'why isn't the foul count even?'.

Contrary to that even, being able to draw a foul is recognised as a positive attribute in the NBA.
    As well as being disciplined and staying out of foul trouble.

Same as the NFL, the ability to not give penalties and force sides to panic and give away penalties is actually lauded.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a pretty decent Twitter account operated by an umpire (supposedly) who goes through and rates each contentious decision as right or wrong. It’s called Has-the-umpire-made-a-bad-decision if anyone wants a look. Not much room for grey area or nuance in the way they are listed but pretty interesting. Lists them quarter by quarter, I would post but I can’t figure out how to put them up.

Wrong calls on the night were 7-7 from what I can see in the ratings. Interestingly the Essendon game has lots of missed ones for us that the account thought we should have got.

I find the inconsistency with the way umpires are judged frustrating. Generally ppl can’t decide if they want them to adjudicate to the rules or on “feel”. Kane Cornes on the footy show this morning is a prime example.

14. Likes Testekill, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like most games it was fairly adjudicated with a few each way that were paid when they shouldn’t have been, or were missed. Not too worried about it - we get to good spots and use good technique.

Post Thanks / Like

As well as being disciplined and staying out of foul trouble.

Same as the NFL, the ability to not give penalties and force sides to panic and give away penalties is actually lauded.
    Yep, 100%.

Post Thanks / Like

The Vandermeer HTB stunned me, zero prior.

Caleb was very lucky not to get pinged in the centre of the ground, as was Dale.

Thought the game overall was evenly adjudicated.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

The ruck free at the end was technical and while probably there, regularly doesn't get paid so can understand it causing frustration.
    I think this one was a cut and dry free kick. McInerney had eyes only for English and straight up blocked him. One of the clearest frees of the day.
    "It's over. It's all over."

19. Likes bulldogtragic, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    There is a pretty decent Twitter account operated by an umpire (supposedly) who goes through and rates each contentious decision as right or wrong. It’s called Has-the-umpire-made-a-bad-decision if anyone wants a look. Not much room for grey area or nuance in the way they are listed but pretty interesting. Lists them quarter by quarter, I would post but I can’t figure out how to put them up.

Wrong calls on the night were 7-7 from what I can see in the ratings. Interestingly the Essendon game has lots of missed ones for us that the account thought we should have got.

I find the inconsistency with the way umpires are judged frustrating. Generally ppl can’t decide if they want them to adjudicate to the rules or on “feel”. Kane Cornes on the footy show this morning is a prime example.
    Footy media just loves going the negative narrative. I'll go NBA example. Imagine Cody was a 20 yo NBA player hitting 40 points in a playoff. No way the narrative is all about officiating and them being a cheat. I think given the choice between celebrating greatness or something negative, AFL media will nearly always go with the latter.

21. Likes dog town, jeemak liked this post