Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  85
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Free Kick count?

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I think this one was a cut and dry free kick. McInerney had eyes only for English and straight up blocked him. One of the clearest frees of the day.
    It probably was but ruck infringements are a lottery and that one gets let go often. Says a bit about how English fought back in the second half that he spooked McInerney into panicking.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Footy media just loves going the negative narrative. I'll go NBA example. Imagine Cody was a 20 yo NBA player hitting 40 points in a playoff. No way the narrative is all about officiating and them being a cheat. I think given the choice between celebrating greatness or something negative, AFL media will nearly always go with the latter.
    It’s actually exhausting watching them mould these narratives every week.

3. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It probably was but ruck infringements are a lottery and that one gets let go often. Says a bit about how English fought back in the second half that he spooked McInerney into panicking.
    I think that is the one that doesn't get let go though - if one ruckman runs into the other and the ball bounces behind them without being touched, it is 95% paid as a free. Holding and grappling in the ruck are very inconsistent

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can’t cross the line to take the run from your opponent.. it’s a free every day of the week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    You can’t cross the line to take the run from your opponent.. it’s a free every day of the week.
    I just watched it again minutes ago. That’s an obvious free that should be paid every day of week as you say. No grey in it whatsoever.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a bit of a “free kick Hawthorn” thing on social back 7-8 years ago.

What do people remember now? 3 peat.

There was no late soft free for us in front of goal. We won the match. It was close and losing a big final like that sucks… but you know what? They lost. We won. That’s what will be in the history books.

Great match. Great win. End of.

10. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Normies love to chat free kicks because it's the most obvious and apparent thing in a game, that requires no real thought or consideration, and utterly no intellectualising. It's the footy equivalent of talking about the weather.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes EasternWest, Testekill, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wieners attribution theory is a good model for considering the pissing and moaning around umpires. We all do it, to some degree but the unhinged narrative of conspiracy in our favour from 2015 onwards is partly humorous and partly infuriating.

Media can’t help but put the negative spin on things. The AFL dog whistled the malakas having a sook to appease the Sydney administration post 2016. I hope this disrespect is not lost on anyone and we can just roll on and rub the league’s faces in it all. I for one am going to be absolutely, unbearably, obnoxious if we can find 2 more wins this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I just watched it again minutes ago. That’s an obvious free that should be paid every day of week as you say. No grey in it whatsoever.
    Yeah after getting loads of people I know commenting on their facebook pages today about how they were robbed.. Even got a message from an acquaintance who was also at the game at half time telling me 'umps keeping you guys in it' To which I told him to give his balls a tug. He replied again citing Lachie Neale getting pinged HTB as an example of shocking calls... I said what's more shocking is you don't seem to understand you can't drag a ball back in.'

I just finished watching the game again and really kept an eye on the calls, and I was more taken by the non calls and how critical some of the calls against us were. The deliberate out of bounds by Caleb, that could've cost us the game. There is no way that's insufficient intent. And don't get me started on the comical Goal Review system...

15. Likes merantau, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a free kick to Brisbane in the first quarter against Gardner for high contact in a one on one dual. There was no high contact, but I can't blame the umpire either as I saw it in slomo, whereas in real time maybe it looked that way. Brisbane kicked that one, it just works both ways.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Yeah after getting loads of people I know commenting on their facebook pages today about how they were robbed.. Even got a message from an acquaintance who was also at the game at half time telling me 'umps keeping you guys in it' To which I told him to give his balls a tug. He replied again citing Lachie Neale getting pinged HTB as an example of shocking calls... I said what's more shocking is you don't seem to understand you can't drag a ball back in.'

I just finished watching the game again and really kept an eye on the calls, and I was more taken by the non calls and how critical some of the calls against us were. The deliberate out of bounds by Caleb, that could've cost us the game. There is no way that's insufficient intent. And don't get me started on the comical Goal Review system...
    That HTB against Neale was the easiest decision of the night. Dragged back in then didn't dispose of it.

18. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't disagree with the gist of what you're saying only that one Milton Dammers looked straight at Tim then blocked him. That's a lay down misere.

The one I thought was bullshit that went our way was when Milton was called for a throw. I never thought he had posession and the ball was just bobbing around.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Thought the umpiring was fine. There were a few errors, some our way, some against, but I didn't think they were overly influential.

The ones people seem to be angry about were the McInerney one at the end (which was clearly correct), the Bont mark over McInerney (which was fine), and the Keath reversal where he went to ground (didn't get a great look at it but looked reasonable). Love that the some of the media are arguing that free kicks that are there (like the first example) shouldn't be called late in games, I mean what???

Bizarrely their double up of deliberate into Clug getting done for holding the ball just before halftime (?) doesn't get mentioned.

Thought the Dale one had just enough grey area that I can understand the no free call, but probably should've been.

Daniel one was kind of bullshit, but I'm also kind of cool with it. I mean if you swing your foot at a mid air footy you are kind of signing up for the lottery anyway and deserve whatever you get.

Btw just to round off his year of truly shithouse takes Dave Hughes is mostly upset about Duryea not getting pinged for deliberate in the last 15 seconds. Stick to masked singer mate.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

21. Likes EasternWest, bulldogtragic, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    There was a free kick to Brisbane in the first quarter against Gardner for high contact in a one on one dual. There was no high contact, but I can't blame the umpire either as I saw it in slomo, whereas in real time maybe it looked that way. Brisbane kicked that one, it just works both ways.
    That one stood out for me. The umpire called it "front on contact". Gardner made no contact with the front of Lincoln McCarthy. By the time contact was made McCarthy had turned his body so the contact was side on. Goal to Brisbane.

Also the mark paid to Bont. Ok, he wasn't the man in front but Schache was held with arms around his chest that prevented him from contesting- a clear free kick.

We won. End of story. If your aunt had whiskers, she'd be your uncle.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Btw just to round off his year of truly shithouse takes Dave Hughes is mostly upset about Duryea not getting pinged for deliberate in the last 15 seconds. Stick to masked singer mate.
    You know what “Hughesy” GGF. This guy use to barrack for the dogs then changed teams to Carlton. How’s that working out for you?
    More of an In Bruges guy?