Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What to do with the Goal Review System?

Its either scrap it, or pump a huge amount of money into it.

In 2016 Grand Final, JJ wrongly had his late goal overturned. No improvement.

Meddled for years. Now 2021 Semi Final overturn Bontempelli’s goal on blurred vision and alleged deviation. Nothing conclusive which is the alleged test to overturn goals.

Equally bad is goal umpires not making painfully obvious calls. Smith’s first goal had no defender within 70cm or so and no one claiming it. Why is the game so long?? Why can’t Goal umpires make such obvious calls. What is even worse is where it’s a behind or Mark and the player can’t launch a rebound because we need to waste 30 seconds allowing teams to set up behind the ball.

The system was designed to overturn howlers, but how frequently is that happening? It used to be when a goal was called there’s a review automatically in the dead time for Ch7 sponsors. Now the game is stopping before a decision being made.

I always felt the AFEL was chasing DRS in Cricket and Hawkeye in Tennis. But it’s a very different game. I don’t see what it’s adding from 2016 JJ to 2021 Bonts. It’s slowing the game up, making errors and penalises clubs in instances wanting to launch a quick rebound but can’t. Josh Bruce had an obvious goal overturned this year, I think against Carlton. The system is meant to eliminate bad decisions, but is proactively creating howlers against players who have kicked a goal according to the on field umpire and goal umpire.

So do we try to fix it at the edges? Pump millions into technology to make it work better? Or kill it and make goal umpires do their jobs and reduce wasted time?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do with the Goal Review System?

Agree BT, either scrap it or make as close to fool proof as you can.
    I'll wear the odd mistake and the waiting on a decision is excessive
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to forget about it and let the goal umpire make the call. It wastes a lot of time, it holds up play and a team can lose some momentum in the meantime.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not fit for purpose in its current state. The footage quality is nowhere near enough to support good decision making. We're rocking and rolling horrendously blurred footage looking for bent fingers.

The problem is the stereotypical supporter isn't mature enough to accept that one day an officiating error will change the result of a big game and that's the reality of sport.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless they can find a reliably better technology (and in the case of Goal line review I don't think it's possible) then just get rid of it, and make the goal umpires earn their pay. I'll wear the odd error.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d use it for touched on the line and nothing else..
    The zoom of touched ball in play is Z grade quality.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I’d use it for touched on the line and nothing else..
    The zoom of touched ball in play is Z grade quality.
    I reckon the touched on the line technology can lead to some really farcical situations ... trying to track the position of a 3D object in motion against a 2D line is comical.

8. Likes bulldogtragic, bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And the curve ball example. Cordy’s touch on the line a few weeks ago. On review he was hit high, a free kick.

That’s like in cricket reviewing an LBW but a ‘no ball’ is discovered.

Surely a review of everything immediately in the time of review is relevant. If there’s a clear breach of the rules before the ‘all clear’ is given would necessitate a free kick being awarded and no score. But they’re happy to guess and overturn, but happy to ignore what is clearly visible. Imagine if DRS said we don’t look for ‘no balls’.

I can live with human error by umpires. But unnecessary errors introduced into the game I can not.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

It’s pretty simple. If it isn’t blatantly obvious, go with the original call. It’s there for the obvious like Hawkins poster in the 09 grand final. Don’t go guessing shit or overturning what looks like something. If you can’t see it in 10 seconds move on.

Now, goal line technology needs an overhaul. Get it smarter so that we’re not looking above the line on an angle making calls.

On the whole I agree. Pump money into it. How can we watch blurry vision for touched balls. I’ve said it before, it’s embarrassing watching a goal review.

11. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    It’s pretty simple. If it isn’t blatantly obvious, go with the original call. It’s there for the obvious like Hawkins poster in the 09 grand final. Don’t go guessing shit or overturning what looks like something. If you can’t see it in 10 seconds move on.

Now, goal line technology needs an overhaul. Get it smarter so that we’re not looking above the line on an angle making calls.

On the whole I agree. Pump money into it. How can we watch blurry vision for touched balls. I’ve said it before, it’s embarrassing watching a goal review.
    FIFA don't have cameras in the goalpost, they have them set back so that there's a clear line to compare against.

Either get it right or get rid of it.

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think better graphics and marketing gimmicks are where I'd start. I definitely wouldn't invest in the appropriate technology to make it work.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Bonts overturned goal was total BS.

For starters a goal umpire shouldn't be allowed to ask to check for a touch off the boot 40 metres out. That should be a field umpires call. The goal umpire is there to check if the ball goes through the big sticks, hits posts or touches on the line. The rest is for the 3 field umpires. I don't mind arc generally but if they are overturning stuff like Bonts one the other night they have to scrap it.

Mind you I believe that it Bonts was touched just going by his non celebration and Gardeners instant hand in the air. But that's the only evidence I have and it's speculative
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

It should stay. However they need to emphasise the rules in when it is to be used. There needs to be 100% proof that a wrong decision has been made to overrule the umpire. Not a sign of a small deflection or possibly half a finger moving. 100% proof that everyone would agree with.

It should be there to fix the howlers like Tom Hawkins hitting the post in the 2009 Grand Final. It should not be used for borderline decisions that fans will argue over for years like JJs overturned goal in the 2016 Grand Final or Bont's overturned goal on the weekend. All we are doing in that instance is taking the debate over the umpires on field decision to the video umpire. The video umpire's decision should be beyond approach. We do that by being clear to everyone that they will only intervene when it is absolutely clear.
    Last edited by angelopetraglia; 06-09-2021 at 10:20 AM.

17. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched it back in the cold light of day. The ball deviates, it was a good decision.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

19. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Goal Review: Chuck it in the bin.

If you want a list of all of the other rules and supposed initiatives that should be put in the same bin - starting with the ridiculous stand rule - I'm here for you.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.